Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 11/29/2010 (Read 218 times)

old-runner

Rob... I appreciate that info. You're right that in terms of numbers it is manageable. Unfortunately for me, however, is that in terms of talent that list contains some of the fastest guys in the country in the 55-59 age group, so being painfully aware of my limitations I'll pass. 

I'm also kind of thinking about skipping the Thunder Road Half and running the Mistletoe Half Marathon in Winston-Salem this weekend (tomorrow) instead. My wife would like to run a 5k and for the first time this year the 5k associated with Thunder Road has turned into a "fun run" with no chip and no timing and still costs $35 to run (or $45 if you register at the expo). The Thunder Road Half is $65 if I register by this Sunday night online or $90 at the expo. That seems kind of ridiculous to me. The Mistletoe half is $40 and I can register on race day and Linda can run the 5k too so we'll probably do that. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Cheaper and the wife is happy?  Sounds like a no-brainer, Richard.  Have fun.

Went out and ran 4 miles this morning.  It's really turned colder.  Didn't feel as easy as I would have liked, but it's all good.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I may not be able to run Thunder road (kid's swim meet), so if anyone wants to use my bib, Let me know and Just call yourself Shashi for a couple of hours.

old-runner

I may not be able to run Thunder road (kid's swim meet), so if anyone wants to use my bib, Let me know and Just call yourself Shashi for a couple of hours.

Whoa... I wouldn't mind being Shashi for a couple of hours! I'm interested in doing that but wouldn't you have to pick up the bib at the expo on Thursday or Friday?

I'm not going to Winston-Salem after all. Linda went to the doctor today and he told her not to run for six weeks because of some knee problems she's been having, and I'm not feeling great either so I figured I'd stay home this week and run Thunder Road next week instead.

Shashi, do you know if your bib has your name on it? The early registrations (was it November 1st?) had names but not the later ones. I don't really care myself but if somebody recognizes me and it says "Shashi" on my bib it might raise a red flag. Let me know for sure because I'll need to register before Sunday night to avoid registering at the expo and paying $90 instead of $65.

theyapper

On the road again...

Last long-ish run before the marathon was this morning.  A bit over 8 miles on a hilly course.  Nice tune up for the race next Saturday.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Are we there yet?

Good luck Paul!

My bib last year had my name on it. Also I might be able to run it afterall.

Are we there yet?

My bib last year had my name on it. Also I might be able to run it afterall.

Richard..

I am doing the Run to Victory HM Dec 12th.. the day after thunder road in Randleman NC.. only 50 dollar registration.. definite podium for age group and a 10am start with packet pickup same day..

www.runtovictory.org    . fyi

old-runner

Richard..

I am doing the Run to Victory HM Dec 12th.. the day after thunder road in Randleman NC.. only 50 dollar registration.. definite podium for age group and a 10am start with packet pickup same day..

www.runtovictory.org    . fyi

Almost forgot about that one but I'll plan on doing it instead of Thunder Road. I'd have to register for TR today just to get the $65 registration fee or $90 at the expo. I like the idea of a smaller race anyway... still traumatized from NYC.

I don't know about the podium. I won my age group at Thunder Road last year with a 1:35:30, which would have been 2nd place at Run to Victory, and there was also a 54-year-old who beat my time up there who'll be in my age group if he's back this year. No big deal whether I place or not, but it's always nice.

I like the idea that I can register at Run to Victory at the same price ($50) on race day. I don't like to be a weenie about it, but if I can register on race day then I can back out at the last minute if the weather's lousy, which seems kind of practical to me. I'm not a big fan of inclement weather.