Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 11/8/2010 and RACING CONGRATS (Read 291 times)

Kind of glad to hear that I am not the only one who gets dizzy if I get up suddenly.  My physician wife just looks at me like I am crazy to continue running while I have this and offers no help with a possible solution, oh well.

Running a 5K this weekend, not sure how hard to race it (my training program calls for 23:40 which would be a 38 second PR, not happening), as I am babying my foot a bit, have symptoms of PF and don't want to aggravate it before my marathon next week.  Surely hoping it's one of those Phantom injuries of tapering

Interesting about the dizziness. I've been experiencing that also, and had no clue what it was. I'll just assume its my RHR. No race for me either this weekend. Who's doing the Santa Scramble on the 20th? I registered for that one and I'm looking forward to racing.
      old-runner

Interesting about the dizziness. I've been experiencing that also, and had no clue what it was. I'll just assume its my RHR. No race for me either this weekend. Who's doing the Santa Scramble on the 20th? I registered for that one and I'm looking forward to racing.

Lynwood... I'm planning on running the Santa Scramble so I'll keep an eye out for you. I've run it for the past two years and it's possibly the most fun 5k of the year in this area. I almost decided not to run it because of just running the marathon last week but I'm feeling pretty good now. No PR for me this year because I'm not in as good of shape as I was for last year's race, but most runners will run their fastest 5k of the year here.

http://www.santascramble5k.com/

The Marathon training finally pays off, 22:50 at the Spencer mountain 5k, PR by about 1:38 as this was gun time.  The 5K is flat as opposed to going over a mountain for the 10 miler.

The Marathon training finally pays off, 22:50 at the Spencer mountain 5k, PR by about 1:38 as this was gun time.  The 5K is flat as opposed to going over a mountain for the 10 miler.

Congrats!  That's a big chunk to drop, especially in only about four months.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks Clive,  I feel like I could shave off another 20-30 seconds after the marathon as my last 1.1 was faster than either of the preceeding miles, and did not really kick it to the finish.  When I saw the first mile split of 7:37 thought I went out too hard and backed off a bit, was aiming for 23:40 (that's what my plan calls for).

One of these days I should run the same race as Richard and ride his shoulder and hang on for dear life for a PR

theyapper

On the road again...

That's great, Sashi.  Congrats.

I did the first Thunder Road preview run this morning and it went pretty well.  Finished up in 1:59Tight lippedx but we did stop the watches at the 3 water stops because it required more than just grab and drink.  I think the total time was 2:04 on the nose, which is fine.  My pace times were very consistent.  Not sure I could run that pace another 13.1 miles, but overall I'm happy.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Congrats Shashi!
                  old-runner

Wow Shashi... what a great PR!

Next time we're in a race together I might be trying to keep up with you!

Thanks Clive,  I feel like I could shave off another 20-30 seconds after the marathon as my last 1.1 was faster than either of the preceeding miles, and did not really kick it to the finish.  When I saw the first mile split of 7:37 thought I went out too hard and backed off a bit, was aiming for 23:40 (that's what my plan calls for).

My 10k two Saturdays ago was like that. Mile splits: 6:58, 7:13, 7:08, 7:06, 7:02, 6:50, then sub-6 pace for the final 0.21mi. I'm glad I didn't see any splits, or I'd probably have talked myself out of that time.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Are we there yet?

That's great, Sashi.  Congrats.

I did the first Thunder Road preview run this morning and it went pretty well.  Finished up in 1:59Tight lippedx but we did stop the watches at the 3 water stops because it required more than just grab and drink.  I think the total time was 2:04 on the nose, which is fine.  My pace times were very consistent.  Not sure I could run that pace another 13.1 miles, but overall I'm happy.

Man, I was out downtown running this am and it was chilly!