Charlotte, NC area runners

Misc (Read 151 times)

How's everybody doing lately? I assume since it's so quiet everybody is running well and setting PR"s as often as Richard.  

I saw your new 5K PR Richard, and that's incredible.  Congratulations!  And you made the headlines of the running blog from the Charlotte Observor.  I like knowing famous runners.   I want to run that 5K next year.

I'm back on a good cycle for the time being and hit 30 miles last week.  I've tried for two years to get there but couldn't handle the mileage, so I'm making progress.  I had to cut back on the group runs in Dilworth and did a lot of it on the treadmill so I don't know how accurate that mileage really is, but I'll pretend.

Who's running the Turkey Trot Thursday?  I'll be there with no speed work but ready to toe the line.

L

old-runner

Hey Lynwood,

Glad to see there's still a little bit of life here! I still check every day. Yep, I cracked that magic 20-minute mark last week with a time of 19:51. I don't expect to be under 20 minutes all the time now -- that Santa Scramble just happens to be a fast race -- so that might end up being the only time I ever do it. You really ought to run it next year. It's probably the most fun 5k I know of with being part of the parade and thousands of people lining the course. That'll keep you running fast!

Congrats on the 30-mile week! I ran a half marathon last week and still just managed 28 miles for the week, and this week won't be much better. I took Monday off (the HM was Sunday) and ran 5 yesterday and I'm taking today off too because of the Turkey Trot at Southpark tomorrow. Be sure to look me up if you can find me -- I hear there are about 5,000 people in the race! Oy!

It's a big race for me. I'm running 8 of the 9 races in the Running Journal Grand Prix and that's one of them, and one of only two in NC (the other's in Asheville). I've got to finish in the top 8 in my age group to get any points and preferably finish in the top 4 or 5 for any meaningful points. So far I'm in 1st place in my age group but that could change in about 1 or 2 races...

http://running.net/male-55-59

You or anybody else doing Thunder Road? It's almost here. I'm running the half.

I saw Shashi and we hung around together some at the Spencer Mountain 10-miler a couple weeks ago but haven't seen him since... Shashi... you there? I was hoping we'd get together and run some.

I'm here Richard, for some reason I thought the Santa Scramble would be in December.  Congratulations on breaking that magical 20 min 5K mark.

WIth having to take care of two kids, don't have the time to run at a set time these days.  I do a Saturday morning long run (when not racing), and a Sunday evening 6 miler.  The other days whenever I find the time, mostly lunch time. So if those times work for you maybe we can run together. 

See you at the Turkey trot tomorrow, if I can find you amoing the 5000+ runners.

Shashi

I'll look for you tomorrow.   I'll be meeting a group of runners at Rooster's Woodfire Kitchen at 8:30 if anybody wants to meet there.  I will run a couple of miles before that also to warm up.

Richard I am running the Thunder Road half also.  I'm looking forward to it.  I was looking to break 1:50 but doubt I have enough miles for that this year.  We'll see what happens. 

Lynwood,

1:50 is my super optimistic goal for Thunder road as well.  I figure I am in shape to run 1:52-1:53, ran 1:55:45 at Dowd Half last month on not too much training.  So Maybe we'll run together till mile 10, when typically my wheels fall off. 

old-runner

I'll keep an eye out for you guys tomorrow. They sent out an email earlier today (you probably got it) saying they were full with 6,000 registrations!

One thing I want to do for both the Turkey Trot and Thunder Road is nudge my way close to the front at the start. Last year at Thunder Road I must have had a couple thousand people in front of me and it was crowded the whole way through the race.

Shashi, anytime if you want to get together and run either send me an email (richard@hefner.com) or give me a call (704-866-4294) or use the contact button at the top of my blog.

Sashi, that sounds like a plan because I think I'm in exactly the same place you are.  Maybe we could spur each other closer to the 1:50 mark.  I have a couple other people starting with me that are looking at a similar goal too, so we could be in good company. 

Richard, do you still run in the evenings in the middle of the week, or just daylight hours? 

under a rock

We've been out of town visit dh's family in Michigan, just got back today. I found a local park that had mountain bike trails and cross-country ski trails and did a few runs there while we were visiting. Their trails were much more gentl than the ones here. Their advanced bike trails weren't even as tough as the easy trails at the White Water Center but it was a nice break and was able to even do some fartleks since the trails were so forgiving.

I'm signed up for a 10k trail race in Greensboro on the 12th. I'm looking forward to that since the last trail race I signed up for was turned into a road race due to the remnants of the tropical storm that passed through the area. I'm thinking of ditching my marathon plans to concentrate on trail racing. I'm going to focus on the 2010 Xterra trail series in SC and GA, but I plan on doing any trail races that are somewhat local. The only road races I plan on doing next year are the three 5ks I did this past year just to set some PR's.

old-runner

That XTerra trail series sounds like fun Ashley... let us know how your races go. I've only run on trails twice and the second time was by accident. Too many ankle-twisting possibilities for me. A series like that should be a lot of fun though. Linda and I have been going to the Running Journal Grand Prix road races and we love getting away to a new place for a couple of days.