Charlotte, NC area runners

Corporate Cup - Charlotte - 03/07/09 (Read 217 times)

old-runner

I was in the Charlotte Convention Center standing outside the ladies restroom waiting for my wife (which is where I can usually be found) and out of the blue came the newest member of this group, Lpagd, who recognized me from my blog photo. It was great to meet him and find out that we're both banjo players. This old world's getting smaller and smaller! I did the half marathon and Lpagd did the 5k. Hope you met your goals on this one Lpagd. I was just hoping to finish in under 2 hours and surprised myself by finishing in 1:47:23! Guess all that running this winter is paying off after all! It was a great race... were any of you other folks out there?
    theyapper

On the road again...

I couldn't run this one, but maybe the one at SouthPark in April. Congrats on SMASHING your pre-race goal by am amazing 13 minutes! I would have loved to have seen the smile on your face when you saw that time. Wow!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Glad to meet you Richard, and congratulations on your great half. I'm Lynwood by the way. I think I said that, and now to everyone in the group. How cool is that to meet a fellow banjo player that runs? We've got to be a minority, even in NC. Smile Definitely a small world. I ran the 5K in 24:56 and I am happy with the results overall, being in the 24's for the first time. My previous 5K PR was July 4th, 2008, in Matthews. 26:18 I think, so I've knocked a good bit off my time. I did not run the race the way I should have, as I lined up near the front for some crazy reason and that always does me in. I also decided to run by "perceived effort" instead of using my Garmin like I normally do. Looking at my watch at the half mile point I saw 3:15 displayed and knew I was in trouble. I slowed down some, and then this 10 year old kid came by me like I was jogging, so I figured I must have slowed too much. We crossed the first mile at 7:16. Way too fast for me, but not for him. He held that pace for the whole 5K. How fast is this kid gonna be when he's older? By the second mile I was getting into my desired pace, even if all the oxygen in Charlotte had been sucked up before I got there! I couldn't find any, and I was looking hard. On a positive note, as I was gasping for air, I saw "old-runner" go by me at the 2 mile point, smiling and looking confident. It did cross my mind that he was running the half and I was only running a 5K, but I was still happy to see him looking strong. I knew "old-runner" would have a good race. For the last mile, I was hanging on for dear life wishing it would end. I had told a co-worker I run with, who can still run a 19 minute 5K without training, that if I didn't break 25 minutes, I would not come over to discuss running again. My posted Gun Time shows 25:00 exactly, but the chip time is under by 4 seconds. I ran a 5:22 pace the last .25 to hit that, and thank goodness I did. I know he looked the time up by now and will love to hear this story. I had told him my desire to run Thunder Road at a 9:05 pace to hit the 2 hour pace, and I posted that exactly too. Maybe I should just predict a faster time? Anyway, it was a fun race even if I did manage to mess it up. Nobody cares anyway and I had a blast. I think running it correctly I could manage a better time, so I will shoot for my sub 24 in July! I've already got a speed run planned in Dilworth on Monday with a running group if anybody cares to join us. Who's in? L
        old-runner

Way to go Lynwood! That's a great time and I noticed on the official results you finished 128th of 938 runners. That's way better than where I finished in the half. You should have yelled at me when you saw me in the second mile. You know how it goes with so many people in the races. I talk to a lot of people and try to remember everybody's face but you normal looking people are harder to remember than those old farts like me who look completely out of place! Is that group run on Monday with the Run for Your Life group from the Dilworth store? I'm not able to make it over there but my wife and I joined the running class they have there just after we started running (I think it was October) and ran with them several times and it was a lot of fun. We had to drop out because of the logistics of driving to and from Gastonia but it was great while it lasted.
            Thank you. I would have yelled at you but I was struggling and probably couldn't have gotten a word out. I also didn't want to slow you down. I run with two different groups in front of Charlotte Running Company behind Outback on East Blvd. Mondays and Wednesdays at 6:30 with The Charlotte Runners Meetup Group. We run either speed work (the same course as the Greekfest 5K I think) or hills on Mondays, then Wednesday is a complicated but nice 6 mile course through Dilworth. Thursday's, I run with a leftover group from the Sharksbite series from last summer. We have a tough 4.44 mile route that the series used, and we alternate with a 6.2 variation around Freedom Park area. Good groups to run with and always open to anyone at any level. We have runners ranging from 5/6 minute paces to 10 plus. Our hardcore Thursday group averages 5 - 8 runners and we're looking to get more people to run with us. They like to start at 6:15 unless I'm joining the run and wait till 6:30 for me.
              Hey folks. Smile Old-runner....wow, way to smash the 2:00 goal! Base training pays off! Smile Ldapg....that PR is nothing to sneeze at. Wink You definitely started out too fast, and it probably cost you a good 20 seconds I bet. As for me and my wife, she was able to complete the 5K with less than 5 minutes of walking. While this sounds odd perhaps (she completed her first marathon last April in 4:08Tight lippedx), she was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor last November. This also affects her movement control and strength in her left side, but now that she's on steriods we hope to get her back on a fairly normal workout regimen. She also recently completed cycle 2 of chemotherapy. 10 more cycles to go. As for me, I've been nursing some tightness in my left hamstring, which is being caused by tight glutes/lower back. I was able to finish the half marathon after running the 5K with my wife as a training run. I then biked 50 miles yesterday. It was my 2nd ride outside. I really enjoy riding (I figured I would) and I'm glad we bought the bikes. We are going to be participating in the 24 hours of booty in Charlotte this July, which raises money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation as well as brain tumor awareness. While most of us know someone who has/had cancer, now my wife and I truly understand just what it takes to not only "battle" cancer, but also to take advantage of the here and now. Smile
              old-runner

Docster... Sorry to hear that about your wife... I hope all go well with her treatments. Great to know she's getting back out and running though. It's hard for us to put ourselves in exactly that place if we haven't experienced it ourselves, but I can imagine it's a tough thing to go through, and I wish you both the best. Oh, and take care of that hammy... is that something that happened as a result of your recent Myrtle Beach Marathon? I'm training for the New Jersey Marathon on May 3rd and I'm more than a little apprehensive about it because I hear about all the injuries people get training for and running marathons. I felt fine with the half marathon the other day but I'm not certain I've got another 13.1 miles in me. My longest training run has been 13.1 miles and over the next few weeks I'm trying to build it up to 20. I guess we'll find out.
                  Hello Docster! I'm very sorry to hear of your circumstances but it's fantastic that you both ran that race! I'm always amazed at what runner's can do. L