Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 7/6 (Read 261 times)

old-runner

It's a washout this week... for me anyway! I won't make it to the speed work at Ashbrook tonight. It's been raining all day so it's not looking too good anyway. We've got our grandson and need to have him over in Charlotte at 5:30 this evening, and I had thought originally I'd just rush back on over here but since the weather's so lousy I think I'll just not worry about it. Y'all can decide whether you want to or not. Maybe we can do it next week if that works out for everybody, and maybe Ashley can rest that hip!
      I actually forgot about the swim meet tonight.  Thought it was on Saturday.  So I can't make it either.  Hopefully will see you guys at MRP on Saturday.
      old-runner

I thought I posted a message in here a while ago but now I can't find it...

Anyhoo, I can't make the speed work tonight but will try for next week. Gotta take my grandson to Charlotte and since the weather's not great we'll just take our time and we'll probably just hit the treadmill tonight.

Maybe see some of you at the race this weekend in Charlotte!

old-runner

Okay... so now it shows up! (didn't have a link to the second page a while ago)

under a rock

Back from the DR and no running for a week so I won't see you at the 4 miler.

His official diagnosis is Trochanteric Bursitis. In other words my IT band is tight again but this time it's rubbing my hip. I've not been stretching as much as it apparently needs. I have to stretch twice a day whether I run or not. Also I have to stretch it before I run or work out. I've only been stretching after. I need to keep up my lower leg strength program. I need to ice it lots as well. I can swim but no cycling as that can bother it as well. Now I'm wondering if all the spin classes I've done for the past year and a half have contributed to the problem. I didn't realize that cycling could irritate it! He felt my new shoes are a good choice.

If I'm still having pain in 6 weeks he'll inject it with a corticosteroid. Hopefully I can avoid that by getting this sucker stretched back out!

old-runner

Hey Ashley... hope he's able to get you straightened out. I guess all you can do is listen to the doctor and listen to your body and try to figure out what's best for you.
                Ashley, I had the same thing happen to me when I first started running.  Got the shot also.  I found my foam roller and stretching worked better.  I used the roller twice a day.  At night I did several long sessions and got to the point where my whole body weight was pressing down in each spot.  Rolling very slowly.  That worked.  Painful but helpful.  I know you'll beat it too.

under a rock

Where would I find a foam roller to buy?

Target has them, or any running store would carry one. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Seconding the foam roller - they really hurt at first, but they do work.  I've run for almost 6 months virtually pain free since I started using one and I don't use it as much as I probably should.

Good luck with it, Ashley!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Anybody else having trouble accessing page 2 of this thread?

I'm not able to get to the 2nd page unless I comment, but I don't know what I'm commenting on because I can't read the previous comment!

Guess I can edit if I need to.

old-runner

Ashley,

Are you familiar with "The Stick"?

http://www.shapeupshop.com/fitness/recovery/the_stick.htm

We bought one a while back and haven't even used it. I'd be glad to let you use it if you want to give it a try.

I was having trouble with Page 2 loading last night, and could only get to it if I click on the message link at the right side on the forum page.  That brings you to the last post. 

Just like Paul said, when you first hit that roller with your body weight, it will bring tears to your eyes it's so painful.  After 4 days of continuous use, I was back up and running.  I still have to use it periodically but that's ok.  I'm becoming convinced that it speeds recovery after runs too.  I've been wanting to see if anybody else has experienced that.  After about three weeks of two a days, the roller will not be anywhere near as painful.

old-runner

Thanks for the tip on getting to the 2nd page Lynwood. I'm still not seeing a Page 2 link so I'll see if I can get in your way next time.

You running the big race on Saturday (Run for Your Cause 4-Miler)? It's in your stompin' grounds right?

I wish I was.  I have too many kid activities this weekend.  I run all around that course all the time, so yes, it's right in my backyard and I hate to miss it.  I think it will be very fast too.  Some of this will be on the Greekfest 5k in August.

The first part looks up hill on McDonald, but being early in the race I doubt you'll notice it.  Euclid is flat and when you turn right on East you will fly.  It's downhill, then you'll turn right on Dilworth Road W after Charlotte Dr.,  then Dilworth Road East.  Flat again.  Dilworth Road West and East is a real cool road, wide and flat.  I was told that years ago it was where a trolley system ran which is why the road is so wide.  Probably my favorite to run in Charlotte.  You'll see the markers on the road every 200 meters (if you have time to notice) where my group does interval training.  Then left on Worthington and it is a gental climb and then a downhill finish.  I would love to race this!!!  I will next year!  

Knock em all out tomorrow like I know you can.  You can really race this course.  I'm excited thinking about it.