Charlotte, NC area runners

2012 Goals (Read 118 times)

I thought it might be cool/interesting/laughable to post our goals for the coming year.  Whether it's a time barrier, bettering a dusty PR, a mileage total, or running a destination race -- what are you hoping planning to do in 2012?

I spent the bulk of 2011 rehabbing an Achilles/soleus injury.  For 2012, my general goals are:

• get back the feeling of being (relatively) strong and durable;
    • manage the lower legs and stay injury-free;
    • have some training & racing fun this spring; and
    • run a good marathon this fall.

The more specific ones:

• 2000+ miles for the year;
    • sub-20 5k;
    • sub-90 HM;
    • sub-3:20 marathon (which would be an all-time PR);
    • volunteer in at least one "indie" race (something small-time -- no Rock-and-Roll crap).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Mine are simple, and I'm looking forward to the challenge:

• Run healthy all year.  I've also fought a lower leg issue, since I started running, so this is most important to me. (I think I've figured out I might have some kind of periformis issue that caused most of my problems) I had a nice PR year with just a modest increase in mileage as my legs allowed it, so I do want to increase the mileage significantly.  I won't set a goal though.
      • Run 21:59 or better on a normal Charlotte type 5k course during the first 6 months of 2012
      • Run sub 6:20 at the Museum Mile and/or Miles of Mooresville. McMillan shows I would have to get to 20:45 to run sub 6. I usually fit the chart times.
      • Run Sub 21 the second half of 2012
      • Here's my  laughable goal - Run Sub 1:38:09 at the Myrtle Beach Half in February.  My cousins husband ran that for the Thunder Road half and he said he wouldn't run another one until one our family members beat his time.  He's nice enough to allow us to try on easier courses.  I think I could have run 1:41 to 1:42 or so on a flat course in November.  What's a few more minutes, right? 
      nanxin

Here are mine:

2012 goals:
        - run 2500 miles
        - 5K 19:00, 10K 40:00, half 1:30:00
        - run two marathons, 3:15:00 (my BQ time)

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

old-runner

As far as my goals for 2012, I'm thinking if I can just hold steady I'll be happy. I'll be going to the 60-64 age group in February and of course I'd like to do well in the age group but I doubt I'm going to get any faster at this stage... just hoping not to get much slower right away!

I've got a running streak currently at 193 days so I'd like that to continue indefinitely. Biggest problem on that is just remembering to run a mile on the days I'm too busy to run, and of course if I get an injury that could put me out too, so as always, another goal is to stay injury-free.

I'd like to run at least 40 races in 2012 including at least 10 half marathons. 

Also as in the previous couple of years I'd like to win the 55-59 age group in the Running Journal Grand Prix. Right now I've got a pretty big lead but after I change age groups on February 27th I won't be eligible for any more points in the 55-59 group so somebody might knock me out in one of those last 3 races in the series, but them's the breaks I guess. Here are the current standings...

http://running.net/male-55-59

My only goal for 2012 is to be still running at the end of the year.  New job responsibilities means no more work from home.  

I'll focus on the 5K only this year, and hope to get it down into the 21:00 range by the end of the year.  That's a good 2 minutes away from my current PR (22:50), but that is a year old, and I'd like to think I can run a bit faster than that right now. 

under a rock

My goals:

To be able to run again.

Just have fun while running.