Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 4/6 (Read 193 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry for the late start this week... Been a good week so far. The MAF training really seems to be working, not so much in major speed increases, but in the ease of the running. My easy runs are really feeling easier, and I love that feeling.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

This week and last week are my biggest mileage weeks before I taper down for the New Jersey Marathon on May 3rd. I'm kind of worried about crashing and burning because I really don't have a big running base and I'd like to put it off but I've already paid for the registration fee, the plane tickets, and the hotel so no backing out now unless something catastrophic happens. Maybe Docster can give me a few pointers since he's running the Boston Marathon next week (way to go Docster!). On the bright side, last Saturday I placed 2nd in my age group (55-59) at the Black Mountain Greenway Challenge with a time of 49:47 as I took a total of 10 walking breaks (according to my Garmin) during the race! I'm one of those runners who doesn't mind walking, especially up all those hills in the mountains. Smile
        Looks like ya'll are doing great. Keeping me honest. Great 10K time Richard. How much do you walk when you are racing and how often during the race? I had a decent last week even with lower mileage. I went to Charleston last weekend to stay with relatives and run the Bridge Run. That was fun, but almost impossible to run any kind of speed. 38,500 slots for racers, and I think they all reported to the start line. I decided not to worry about the time and just enjoy the environment. Other that one mishap with a road reflector, I ran ok. The people I was passing were amused when I tripped I'm sure, but I didn't hit the ground. Came close. Right afterwards, I heard another runner hit the ground and I think it was the guy who had a heart attack near the top of the bridge. I thought he had done the same thing I did, but couldn't see due to the number of runners. He got immediate medical help and survived, per the newspaper, thank goodness. I was hoping for one big mileage week this week getting ready for Racefest, but still having some calf soreness. I have no long runs. I was thinking like you Richard, but at this point I'll run it as a training run. I had thought about lowering to the 10k, but hopefully will be ready to run the 1/2. I do plan on beating my ThunderRoad time but doubt I'll be up to hitting my 1:50 goal.
        old-runner

Hey Lynwood... I walk for usually 30 to 60 seconds depending on how tired I am or how bad the hills are. If I feel great I'll run the whole time but that doesn't usually happen. I ran the Ortega River Run (5 miles) without any walk breaks but that's the only one recently I remember. When I first started racing I thought it was against the rules to walk so I just about killed myself trying to keep going Dead so I was relieved to find out it was okay. I've heard a lot of people talking about the Cooper River Bridge Run and thought it would be fun but it's got to be a mess with that many people in it. I didn't hear about the heart attack. That's kind of scary. My wife made me get a stress test, which I did this past week, just to make sure my ticker's in good enough shape for the marathon. I think I passed, or at least they didn't tell me not to run.
          theyapper

On the road again...

38,000+ runners going across the bridge sounds CRAZY!! Wow. Enjoyed a rest day yesterday and was back at it today - a nice 4.7 mile run.

Paul

old-runner

Yee-haw! Finished first in the 55-59 age group today at the Bunny Run 5k in Concord with my all-time PR of 22:55 (7:24 pace). Big grin
                Way to run guys. Richard that's really moving. You've really been cutting your time down. Trials of Miles!
                theyapper

On the road again...

Great race, Richard. PRs are wonderful! I finished up this week with a hilly 9.3 mile long run. Looking forward to a restful Easter and then back at it next week.

Paul