Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 8/9/2010 (Read 181 times)

Rob, it wasn't that I think Paul would humiliate himself by running shirtless.  More that anything he did around his teenage kids would humiliate them.  Go ahead and run shirtless.   Unless you're one of those guys who's ripped, in which case I hate you too.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Robb, the start line was right at the right side of the driveway entrance to the RBC Bank on Dilworth Rd West.  The finish line is about 40 yards past Worthington (approx).  I'm running it several times with a group on Monday.  I'll check and see if I can find remnants of the lines.

Lynwood...thanx for taking a look.  I run in Dilworth once/twice a week (I like the hills, the shade, there are always other runners about & drivers actually yield to runners) and have wanted to do 800m intervals on the road (vs. the AG track where the surface is the same or worse than a road and your exposed to the sun).  I've looked on the road and looked on the sides of the road for some markings but no luck.

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey, Rob!  Great to have another voice in the group.  And the advantage to running without a shirt is less laundry.

I was hoping to jump into that Elvis 5k tonight, Richard, but I'm fighting a head cold and so I think after my training run and then XC with my boys, I'm gonna be tapped out.  I could run it as a fun run, but then I hate paying for it if I'm not gonna try to race it.  Looks like it'll be a great race, and like you said, Peter does a great job organizing these races.  Have fun.

Schedule called for a 5 mile marathon pace run, and I think I went too fast, but I got it done.   I always have a hard time estimating what my marathon pace will be 4 months from now when it's cooler.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Paul, those MP runs are what your MP is now what it could be 4 months from now.  If you have run a marathon use that pace, if not estimate it from other recent races.

Your 5K time gives an MP of 9:10 although estimating marathon pace from a 5K ends up with way too optimistic MP, its the most recent race.  My most recent  HM gives me an MP of 8:45 even though my 5K is slower than yours.

old-runner

Shashi... Are you doing a run Sunday? If so let's work something out. I'm just about back up to speed but a little short on the miles.

Clive... Are you thinking about doing any more runs in Gastonia? I'm a little hesitant to ask since I'm not able to go more than about 10 right now, and that might be stretching it.

Rob... Thanks for joining us! We won't hold it against you if you're shirtless. We have some good folks in here from around Charlotte but we need a few more.

Lynwood... I think you're gonna have to keep nudging Adrian to speak up. 

Adrian... Speak up while you've got a little momentum!

Paul... Sorry you can't make the Elvis race tonight. It should be fun but hot. I told Peter I might be in mosey mode. We'll save you a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Richard,  yes I do plan on running this Sunday, plan is for anything from 13-16 miles depending on the weather.  So if you can do 10, maybe this time I'll add a couple of extra loops in MRP while you take a breather.  Now that I registered for it that November marathon is getting closer, and scarier.

Richard: definitely.  I've just had a run of Sundays with complications (company in town, big MP workout).  Looking ahead, I'm out of town this SUN, just getting back next SUN, out of town the following SUN, then it's Labor Day, ...  See what I mean?

Paul: you might also be able to get a reasonable MP estimate by looking at your training paces (easy, tempo); plugging a mock HM race time into a calculator such that it spits out those training paces; then looking at what it yields for MP.  Or go with 20-min tempo run pace + 30-40 sec/mi.

Sashi: what marathon in NOV?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

One of the scariest, The Monkey, check out the elevation profile.  No time goal, just be able to finish and be able to walk after, but faster than 4:30  would be nice.  Have no idea why I thought it would be a good idea to run one of the harder marathons as my first, I was targeting Grandfather mountain, but my miserable May put an end to that, and I naturally picked a harder one Smile

Man, Shashi, that sounds tough!  Good luck with that one.  I think I'll keep entering the lottery for NY hoping I don't get in for another two years.

The night started ok especially considering I asked off from work to get a jump on traffic.  I like time off.

It turned out to be a great evening in Mooresville.  I just needed something to inspire me and I got it. The traffic did back up on I-85 after I got past Harris Blvd, trying to sneak through the country the back way. Still looking to be inspired for the upcoming nightly races, I came to a standstill.  I looked over three lanes and saw a white runner's racing hat, then noticed it was none other than Richard and spouse on the way to run their 5k.  That was the spark I needed, seeing the intensity of Old-Runner getting fired up for a race!

old-runner

Lynwood... you saw us on the Interstate?? You should have started beeping uncontrollably or something so we would see you!! On the other hand I guess that's a good way to get some road rage going. Wish I would have seen you and maybe I would have gotten more inspired. I won my age group at the Elvis but my time was way off (about 22:30). I guess I'll use the heat as an excuse. Yep, it was the heat. I didn't make either of the three Miles of Mooresville this year. I've come to the conclusion that I do better in longer races, at least up the a half marathon. It takes me a mile just to get over the misery

Shashi... What you said sounds good. Let's meet at Ashbrook at 6:30 and go from there. My knee feels good but I don't think I should try for more than 10 miles this week because my longest run lately has been 6. Let me know for sure that you'll be at Ashbrook.

theyapper

On the road again...

That's crazy how you saw Richard on the Interstate.  Sounds like you both had great Friday night runs.  It was hot last night, Richard, so congrats on the AG win in challenging conditions.

Thanks for the help on me finding a marathon pace.  It's not that I don't have any clue, it's just that I always feel like I'm shooting in the dark on these things, because predictors are all over the map.  Here's what I mean:

Like Sashi said, my 5k time yields a 9:10 pace with the predictor on this site, but I've yet to break 2 hours in a half, and so I think that's way too optimistic.  McMillan's calculator is even MORE optimistic with a projected pace of 8:56.  My first (and only) marathon had me finishing with an average pace of 11:02.  My best HM time is a tick over 2 hours, and that gives me a 9:57 marathon pace with the McMillan site.  I feel like 9:45-10:00 should be a realistic goal to shoot for.

Sashi, when I made the comment about hoping it feels better in the fall, I just meant that in the heat and humidity of the summer, when I run 9:30/mile or so, I just feel like there's no way I could keep that pace for a whole marathon.  I'm not hoping I can run that pace, I know I can.  I just know it's a heck of a lot easier when it's 40F instead of 80F.  Case in point: during that unseasonal cool spell we had here at the beginning of July, I ran a 12.5 mile long run with an average pace of 9:37 and I felt fantastic.  Cooler temps make the paces feel much better.

Sorry for writing a novel, just want you guys to know where I'm coming from in this marathon training.  Thanks for all the encouragement and feedback.

Paul

Ran the Miles of Mooresville. I was only able to run two races 1 miler and the 2 miler. Trying to keep up with Lynwood is hard. Also, the first mile wore me out. That was not a smart move to go out so fast for the first race.

Overall, the turnout was nice. I like smaller races b/c I can test myself more without all the traffic (people).

Adrian

Richard, I'll see you at 6:30 at Ashbrook.
                              theyapper

On the road again...

I'm gonna start using the Lynwood training program.  Only 1 once a month but set one mile PRs.  Nice.

Paul