Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 17-23 DEC 2012 (Read 301 times)

Cliff, nice artistic touch with the weekly mileage total and upcoming races (although in my browser, Firefox, I actually see written code just above the upcoming race table.

Oddly, that never appeared until I edited the table using my iPad.  Now it's there -- I see it too!  (In Chrome.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

I used Pfitz's 18/55 back in 2010 for Twin Cities.  I have to say, I thought the midweek medium-long runs were really helpful.  It was a PITA getting up early enough to get them done and make it into work on time, though ... but then again, I beat the summer heat by doing so.

I have no doubt that the med-long runs are going to pay big dividends come race time.  Just got back from a 10ish mile run a few minutes ago.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Paul, how are you calves/feet holding up with the Newtons? Did you use them for your easy runs or workouts? What frequency per week? If you wear them on easy runs do you notice that you run those a little faster?

Rob

old-runner

...One suggestion is to include a column for "Age Graded Result" to the right of "Result". I know that this is near and dear to Richard, but I noticed that Lynwood has imbibed the Age Grade kool aid.

Oh yeah... Put me down for liking the idea to add an age-graded column! And if there's room you could add shoe-size grading and all of those things we talked about last year (the rest of which escape me at the moment).

For this weekend we might need a temperature-graded column, and if it's cold and windy enough I'll probably take a DNS on it. If I stay home because of the cold weather I don't mind you giving me a DNS, but I'd prefer you don't add a sissy-graded column.

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, how are you calves/feet holding up with the Newtons? Did you use them for your easy runs or workouts? What frequency per week? If you wear them on easy runs do you notice that you run those a little faster?

My left calf gets sore, but I'm only wearing them once a week and typically on the easy runs.  I do find it harder to "throttle back" when I wear them.

Paul

Paul, what program are you using?  Not that I'm thinking of running a marathon anytime soon.  Just curious in case I take the plunge one day.

Rob.  I totally deny any age graded time adjustment.  If you can find proof, and I guess you can, it was only my laziness of copying the link off of the Thunder Road Results, which allowed me not to type anything and it included it. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, what program are you using?  Not that I'm thinking of running a marathon anytime soon.  Just curious in case I take the plunge one day.

I'm using the marathon plan from Running Wizard (link).  It's a Lydiard-based program and Nobby (who posts in the general forums quite a bit) is one of the minds behind it.  I think Sash has also done this program?  Anyway, I'm liking it so far, but I can tell that I've really upped my mileage and right now I'm struggling with that "not so fresh" feeling on a couple runs/week.

The biggest reason I chose to do it was simply curiosity.  In a sense, I'm trying to prove the plan won't work, because the predicted marathon time is so much lower than even my most optimistic hope.  I figured I'd be the perfect poster child for it if it does actually work out the way it predicts.

Paul

I did a custom version of it, Nobby gave me the plan a couple years ago as a guinea pig and get my feedback.  I had some major deviations like not running medium long on Sat before the Sunday long run because I don't get both weekend days to run with the kids activities.  

My longest run was 18 miles in about 2:45 a couple of times, comfortably finished my monkey marathon, although no where near the time predicted by the plan, had hit all the workout paces, and  most of the coordination phase races, so I am confident that I could have hit the predicted time on a more normal marathon.   Monkey is about 30 minutes slower for someone not used to those kind of hills,  and it being my first I had run it kind of conservatively , the second year my training was not so good, yet finished with the same time in a monsoon for the duration of the race.

I'd not say the Running wizard plan any easier than other plans just structured differently, with the long runs up front in the training cycle, and a lot of faster running closer to the race.  I believe the saturday/sunday combination is what makes us marathon ready and if i'd done those correctly I'd have hit the predicted time.