Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/6 (Read 284 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice runs, Lou and Bugs.

I could not get myself up early enough to run this morning, and so I went this evening.  It was still high 80s and my scheduled 5 miler turned into a 3 and I'll turn my 3 miler tomorrow into a 5.  I also will keep running in the mornings because I'm way too tired by the evenings.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Cut the blister last night and the relief was immediate! Still tender, of course, but I've got a Nexcare waterproof bandage on it for now with Bacitracin so it should heal up pretty well. But then... I keep running on it. Hmmmm.

5.55 miles today at lunchtime. The smoke seemed not bad at all the route I took, but it sure is thick to the south and SW of us. Most of the fires are SW, but there are several all around and the smoke seems to be settling in our valley to stay awhile.

Couldn't go pool running last night... I got there and the pool is closed for renovations till July 20!! Rats.

Kimmie

Hey Paul, sounds like your training is going well and you're figuring out what works best for you.

Erika-  That is a bummer about the pool being closed.  Hopefully that blister heals up real quick- and you have to deal with smoke too?  ugh!

Ran 5.5 miles of a different speed workout.  10 minutes warmup- then 45 minutes on, 30 seconds off for total of 30 minutes and then a cool down... finished in 47 minutes or so.  It was hot tonight... 90, I think.  But morning running isn't an option right now with how much DH is working.  Tomorrow, we have a swim meet in the evening, so I will try to think of a way to run with the kids or see if they could play at a neighbor's house.

This workout tonight really kicked my butt... I was wiped out in the last .5 mile, but this was when running with a group really helped.  I think we did our intervals too fast, though.  They were supposed to be tempo pace... 

good night all.

Happy Camper

Slow start to the week so far.  I ran Monday.  Decided a swim was best yesterday.  On top of everything else, evidently I didn't have the computer backpack zipped up all the way.  When I swung it around the laptop fell out with the edge of it hitting my foot before it hit the ground.  The laptop is an old, 17" Desktop Replacement  and weighs a ton.  My foot saved the laptop but made for a couple of techno color toes.  They feel better this morning.  Hope my run won't be so much the slow slog it's turned into these days.  My debut in the triathlon could happen Saturday.  The small town my inlaws live in are having a 400yd/15mi/3mi sprint tri and it's small enough they allow race day entry.  Think my leg would hold up and it would feel good to race again.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Better your toes than your data, p2r.  Smile

5.1 miles, 46:39, 9:08/mi, AHR 138 (71% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Got my 5 miler in today but not as early as I'd hoped.  Went around 10:30 or so and it was already mid 80s.  Sheesh.  I lost a lot of water weight, I'm sure.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Paul, all of this hot weather running will pay off when the temps cool down in the fall.

I ran 4 miles with my kids, kind of.... we went to a track and I had them do some loops with me and then peel off and play on the grass.  I would just pick them up and have them run with me whenever they felt like it.  They're 8 and 5 now, so that seemed doable.  They have a swim meet tonight, so running tonight wasn't going to be an option for me.

i'm kind of proud of myself for not blowing it off since I had no childcare options today.

Hail to The Victors!

Paul, all of this hot weather running will pay off when the temps cool down in the fall.

I ran 4 miles with my kids, kind of.... we went to a track and I had them do some loops with me and then peel off and play on the grass.  I would just pick them up and have them run with me whenever they felt like it.  They're 8 and 5 now, so that seemed doable.  They have a swim meet tonight, so running tonight wasn't going to be an option for me.

i'm kind of proud of myself for not blowing it off since I had no childcare options today.

That sounds like it worked out really well.  I'm happy that it worked out for you! 

12 easy here today.  Still in recovery mode.  Did some strides toward the end to try to loosing things up.  Streaking 29 straight now as of today, but I think that will end when we drive to Chicago next week sometime.  It's ok if it ends, if it starts getting too long, I think it will have a life of it's own, and that's not a good thing.

evanflein

I ran 6 miles tonight, 8:18 avg pace. What the hell is up with that? It was 90F at 5 pm when I went out. Plan was 8 with some hills, changed that to 8 with not so much hills, changed that to 6 and walked up the last mile before DS1 came and rescued me. My legs just felt like limp noodles. That's the hottest temp I've ever run in... it was hard! So, I'll try my 8 again tomorrow and just say I ran Thursday's run on Wednesday, I'll try the hills tomorrow when it's supposed to be cooler.

Bugs

I ran 6 miles tonight, 8:18 avg pace. What the hell is up with that? It was 90F at 5 pm when I went out. Plan was 8 with some hills, changed that to 8 with not so much hills, changed that to 6 and walked up the last mile before DS1 came and rescued me.  

That's still six very nice miles. Heat is a killer.

6 harder than it should have been miles for me this morning. Been just so very busy, that I'm dehydrated and very tired. My heartrate was too high, but I was running with another girl so I just pushed through. Finished, thought I was going to be very ill. Lesson learned the hard way, hopefully when DH is not working 80 hour weeks I'll be able to take better care of myself. Taking the kids to carnavel (wrist band night) tonight. Will surely puke tonight.

Bugs

Dave

Wow, Erika.  Don't think I've seen anything near 90F since we moved to Michigan.

Got out for 8 1/2 today.  Tried a new route (all of them are new right now) that had some pretty tough hills in it and a nice stretch along something called the Paint Creek Trail.  It's about 2 1/2 miles from my house so it makes for a longer run with a big drop to get down to it unless I drive to one of the access points.

Felt pretty weak on the run today.  Could've been a little more heat (close to 80F).  Could've been weak mileage over the past month or so.  Probably both.

Easy runs everyone.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Hey there-  

Pace-  ouch!  Hope your foot recovers quickly!  Let us know how the tri goes.  For some reason, I thought you did tris already.

Lou- looks like your making an impressive comeback.

Jeremy- wow!!  29 days is amazing.  I don't think my body could do it.

Erika- I agree with those who said that still sounds like a good run to me.

Bugs-  have fun at the fair but don't throw up!!!   Try to take care of yourself... my DH works a ton too, and it can be tough but i've noticed that it's a bit easier now that the kids are a little older.  

Dave- so cool that you've found all of those trails. I'll have to look up how close you are to where my DH's parents live.  I think it's far from what you told me.  When I go visit them, there's really rough dirt roads-  no trails to speak of.

Track workout tonight.  Feeling kinda tired, though, so we'll see how it goes.  Swim Team has kept us busy.  Meet went late last night, but Piper (my 5 yo) has been swimming so much better.. they both have, but Darby already was doing well.  Back up and at it this morning with a 2 hour practice- between the 2 of them... that's so amazing to me that kids have that much stamina.

I got to train an 11 year old today whose Mom wants him to get faster for basketball.  I had him running sprints and I resisted the urge to run with him, which was probably good.  Smile  I'm feeling old and creaky lately, so I wouldn't want to hurt myself.

Have a good one all.

Never did post my run this morning.

8.1 miles, 1:09:30, 8:36/mi, AHR 155 (79% MHR)

Just finished packing -- we're going camping!  We'll be off the grid for a few days.  Have a good one!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Camping sounds fun, Lou.  Have a great time.

ran 1200 repeats tonight... did 4 of them.... 5:35, 5:20, 5:25, 5:25   ran 2 miles warm up and cool down.

I should have run 1 or 2 more repeats, but I was done.  

fun night at the track.

Cashmason

6 miles with the new dog today.  First couple of miles were at easy 9 minute pace.  After that had to slow it down because the dog was falling behind me.   She isnt used to anything much more than two without a walk break yet.