Marathon Trainers

week of 11/23 (Read 280 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats on the AG placement Lou.

We ran a local "Ten Before Turkey" group run this morning -- very foggy.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Great Job Lou. Can't feel bad about #2 in that case.

I skipped the local Turkey Trot. I only heard of it on Tuesday and my legs were already sore. My one quad and hamstring is rather achy and I decided now was not the time to run fast-fast. So I ran 7 miles avg pace 8:45 instead.

Bugs

Kimmie

Hey there you all!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!  I am also thankful for this group!  You guys encourage me so much.

I am happy to report I had a good 4 miler today.  Granted, it was only 4 miles, but maybe that's what I needed.  We drove from MI to the Chicago area yesterday and will be here until Saturday.   

sounds like there was some fun racing this morning.   congrats to Lou and PDR.

I knew you'd get it back, Kimmie!

Recovery run this morning:

3.2 miles, 28:34, 9:03/mi, AHR 134 (68% MHR)

In case the dead horse needs beating, I race so infrequently that when I do race I analyze it to death.  Here are my splits from the garmin data.  Note the garmin thought I ran 3.14 (a pi race!), so the actual paces are a bit slower.  I think the overall pace should have been 6:48.

3.1 miles, 21:07, 6:43/mi, AHR 181 (92% MHR)

3@6:46(180), 0.14@5:46(198)

all splits:

1 - 6:37(163)

2 - 7:04(177)

3 - 6:38(184)

4 - 0:49(198) [0.14=5:46]

Stats:

2 / 76 AG

91 / 843 men

104 / 1814 OA

There are a lot of people for this race, many of them only race (or run) this race -- the paces within my AG ranged from 17:26 to over 51 minutes, with the median at 27:53.

I'll be headed out for a little recovery run soon.  Poor PDR needs to work, but I'm going to get in the brew session that I should have done last weekend.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Kim,

Glad to hear the legs are coming back. Way to stick through it.

Lou,

Why don't you race more? I used to do all the races, and now I tend to only race when I can be properly rested. Spent too many $'s running on tired legs because I did not cut--back before.

Legs are tried today. 7 miles avg pace 9:05. Then I went to the health cub and tried to do some strength for arms and abs. Afraid I never do enough in this department. Reminds me of the people that run a mile or two and feel like it is enough. I did workout with Rockin Pam and Personal Trainer Kim.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Afternoon holiday day run today. It was 50 out, and warm in the sun, so I went in shorts and short-sleeves. It went well, but got hit twice by brief sleet falls. Odd that. Don't remember running in sleet before. Kind of fun seeing it bounce off my ballcap brim (was very glad to be wearing a hat) and bounce off the ground.

evanflein

...I did workout with Rockin Pam and Personal Trainer Kim.

What's this? Tell me more!

I ran 6.1 yesterday before going to my sister's for Thanksgiving dinner. Big group for that small house with all our family and her husband's family as well. It was fun, DS1 got to entertain his little cousins who just adore him.

DS2 is in San Diego at a soccer tournament and we really missed him.

Today I just puttered around the house, loving every minute of it. I do not get to do that nearly enough. Went through a ton of piles o' crap that have been accumulating around here. Then I went to the gym (by myself, couldn't get DH or DS1 to go with me) and cranked out a good 40 minutes on the elliptical and 45 minutes of pretty hard superset weights. Left there with legs a little shaky and noodly feeling arms. Yeah, love that feeling! I'll run tomorrow, but my foot needed a break I think. 

I sure wish it would get better. I've taken almost 6 weeks mostly "off," with barely any running. Doctor said I could keep running, just cut back which is what I've done. I've ellipticalled and pool run more than I care to think. I've also gained about 7 lbs!!! But I have to say, it feels like the foot isn't getting much better. Not sure what to do from here. Should start ramping up soon for marathon training again, but I'm just not feeling ready. Bleh.

Dave

I'd like to hear about Bugs' workout too.

Sounds like you had a nice day, Erika.  Hope the foot feels better soon.  

I got in an easy 3 yesterday and will get another 6 or so in this afternoon.  Lazy day yesterday for us too.  Avoided the black friday shenanigans.  

I've got to be out of the house by about 4AM on Monday to head back to DC. Not looking forward to this trip. I'm sure it will be long hours.  At least I'll get to run on the mall.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Erika - so sorry the foot is still giving you problems.

We'll be traveling in opposite directions on Monday, Dave.  I'm headed out to Saskatoon, SK for a short business trip.  A lot of traveling for a 12 hour meeting, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  I get to try out my winter garb early this year, as the low will be around 11°, per the forecast.

Perry - I don't think I ever ran in sleet -- it's supposed to be snow showers where I'm going in Canada, though.  Hopefully the nice trail by the river is passable.

Bugs - races make me very, very nervous.  PDR would tell you I'm impossible to be around before a race.  Also it seems like we're always too busy to find the time but I'm sure that's just an excuse.

Based on the charts from Thursday's race, it looks like I should adjust my max HR from 195 to 204.  Garmin recorded a 208 but I think that's just a measurement error.

4.1 miles, 36:31, 8:58/mi, AHR 141 (69% MHR)

Bugs

I need winter running pants, something I can ran in at 0F. I was looking at the SportHill Summit Tights. Any suggestions? (http://www.sporthill.com/product.php?TypeID=2160&gender=w)

Erika,

I wish I could send you to my graston doc. I've referred five runners and one tennis player to him and he's helped each one of them. Any suggestions on the tights?

Lou,

That nervous feeling is good, helps you run fast. I ran too many races last year and I lost that. Races became training runs.

Oh am I sore. It's not so much what I did was, the whole workout I kept thinking about trying to BQ at Fargo and worked out a bit intensely. I'm running fairly good,  injury free, and a long ways out from marathon. So if I want to BQ end of May what should I do now? If I thought a training program like Pfitz was for me, I'd run it but I think I'd get injured. I'll probably just keeping training by the seat of my pants and see how it all turns out. Seems to be working fairly well.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My favorite running long pants are a pair of lined pants -- not tights at all -- loose like regular pants but fully lined. I think they're warmer when cold wind is blowing than tights, because there is more air cushion around my legs that way. But that's just what I speculate -- I've not run in tights, so I don't really know.

We did a speedwork session this morning and had 5 people, which was a lot of fun. Plus I found that a friend of mine is running the local marathon as his first marathon next Spring -- ok, I knew that part -- but I just found out that his goal time is faster than I expected, and faster than I've ever run one -- so it may be great for me to train some with him and perhaps even try to run it with him.

If I thought a training program like Pfitz was for me, I'd run it but I think I'd get injured. I'll probably just keeping training by the seat of my pants and see how it all turns out. Seems to be working fairly well.

I swear by Pfitz.  At some point I do start to feel overtrained, and know to back off a bit for a week.

Dave

If you decide to go for it, I'll get trained up again and pace you.  For real.  I'm in the midwest now and I should have so many frequent flyer miles by then I could just take a freebie  .

4 on the treadmill today.  1 mile warmup, 1 @ 8:00, 1/2 mile recovery, 1 mile @ 7:30.

Good grief is our gym a meatmarket on Saturday's.  

So if I want to BQ end of May what should I do now? If I thought a training program like Pfitz was for me, I'd run it but I think I'd get injured. I'll probably just keeping training by the seat of my pants and see how it all turns out. Seems to be working fairly well.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Good grief is our gym a meatmarket on Saturday's.  

Entertainment is good; it helps the miles go by, right? Smile

Bugs

Wow, Dave, I'm touched. I can think of nothing greater than BQing, than BQing with a Team Blister friend pacing me. Let see how training goes. I'm running a 10 mile race in March that should be an indicator. If I think I can do it I'll cover your entry fee++. (Don't tell DH he still doesn't understand that online friendships are not all that different than the face-to-face ones.)

Lou, do you think the 55 mpw plan would be enough? I ran 55 mpw last week, and will run 46 this week as a recovery week. Today I ran 7 miles at 9:10 pace, EASY. I think most important is to hold onto this fitness, but back off plenty not to get hurt. I'll take a look at the pfitz plans again. Perhaps I could handle it this time.

Bugs