Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/2 (Read 328 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Just got back from a nice little 5.15 miler, AHR was 153. 28F but the wind chill was right around 19F. Brrrrrrr. I'm still feeling the knee at the end of my runs, but the end of the runs are coming farther away now. Big grin I was feeling the knee in the 3rd mile a couple weeks back, but now, with the stretching and slower pace, I'm in the 5th mile before I feel it. By feel it, I don't mean searing pain, just an awareness that it's probably close to quittin' time. Keep up the good work everybody!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Very nice, Paul. Sounds like you're safely running through this injury. My knees felt great during my intervals and by the time I had walked back to my office, I was limping a bit. Couple of motrin and some ice tonight and I'll be fine by tomorrow. The injuries that really sidelined me were some IT band issues (in my hips) and some pulled calves that kept getting reinjured. Now I'm just happy when I can keep running through an injury Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

you guys are all awesome. self imposed rest day for me.... so tired and don't know why... just didn't feel like pushing it.
        Kimmie, that was me on Monday. Just a total blah draggy day. Took the day more or less off (just puttered around the house cleaning things up a bit), and yesterday I was good to go! Hope you have the same sort of bounce-back. Dave... what's that tell us about ourselves when we start thinking of ways to run through injuries? Ok, it's warmed up a bit... only -15 or so but dropping cuz the sun is gone (well, it's still out there somewhere, I just can't see it!). I'm tempted to do part of my run outside, and part inside... Or just say heck with it, just get on the 'mill and run!

Bugs

ty66, Have you tried a cheap knee brace, the one with the hole for the knee cap? They really helped me when I was having issues when I was first building miles. My goal was to run 90 minutes comfortably. I ran 9.5 miles 9:30 pace, progressively faster, but some icy spots slowed me down so I think it was actually more like 9:20. Legs feel so good this week, and this running (not jogging) at a nice general aerobic effort feels great. That killing yoursef to log miles is for the birds. Rest is your friend.

Bugs

Cause I CAN

I talked to my doc today about the BP meds and he says I can try taking it at night to see if it helps....this is part of where my trouble started...so I hope it gets better.
            Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
            http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
              Ugh. Good morning. Short 45 minute turnaround from wakening to running -- need to get out by 4. I agree the cheap knee brace is worth a shot -- that helped me after my knee was injured by my first marathon. Hope the BP meds timing change works, MP!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

1500 yards in the fishbowl at a tri swim clinic tonight. I would rather run 13 miles than do swim intervals, at least I can breathe, and not swallow salt water, when I run. Erika, glad to hear you still love me. You know we guys miss hearing that from our women. And being the typical guy, sarcasm goes right over my head, and I dont even notice it. Nice morning run Lou. Hope the meds at night helps you Peach.
                Cashmason

http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=46225&BIB=4142&S=230&PWD= You wanted photo's of my legs... I think the middle one looks most like my legs while standing. The others gravity seems to make them look larger than they really are. I need to look up, not down while turning off my Garmin when I cross the finish line.
                    Nice pics, Cash
                    I would rather run 13 miles than do swim intervals
                    Me, too. 13.1 miles, 1:55:40, 8:49/mi, AHR 145 (73% mhr) 12°F and windy. Dressed for it, though.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Today's a rest day for me - hope everyone has great runs. Thanks for the tip on the cheap knee brace - I'll hunt one down and give it a shot.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

working on getting myself together... I need to try and eat a little more today and drink a little more water.

Happy Camper

Shan: Eat, drink and be merry then. Afterall, it's thursday. Hope the kids are acting well for you in class. Big grin DW says this is the struggle time of year with them. 6 again in 54:08. Avg. HR 154 which is somewhere between 75%-80% HRR for me. Got pushups in before run.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Nice run Paul! Sounds like you are doing what you need too! I'm pretty sure I know what type of pain you're talking about and close to quittin time is a pretty acurate description since it's really not pain more like an ache. Nice run Bugs!! I can't imagine killing myself for miles. I think the body has a way of telling you when you're doing right or if it's had enough. Best listen to it! Hope changing the time for the meds helps MP!! Nice swimming Cash. I can swim but I can't if you get what I mean. I try to stay out of the pool though during the summer it's pretty impossible with the kids.BTW NICE legs! Enjoy your rest day Paul! Nice run Lou!!! Getting ready to head out into the cold wind with dh. It's below zero (wind chill) and very windy. Nice run Pace! And pushups before it DAMN!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

So a quick skim and it looks like Shan's feeling a bit of the ick and theyapper's got a niggle but is running fairly well through it and with those two exceptions everyone's healthy and running well? That's good stuff. Week one is going exactly as planned. Got in 9+ miles this morning on the TM.
                              theyapper

On the road again...

So a quick skim and it looks like ... theyapper's got a niggle...
                                Wow. I don't think I've ever had a niggle before. Big grin

Paul