Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/17 (Read 381 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning all! Brian, sorry to hear about your DNF. They happen; life goes on. We train, we improve. Uh rib cramps? I've never even heard of rib cramps. That just sucks. Bugs - stop being sick. I didn't get in a run this weekend. No great surprise. I knew going into it that I would probably be too busy for it. One run isn't going to kill things. However this morning I overslept. I've got my running gear with me, so I can run during lunch, but only have time for 4 miles.
    Kimmie

I plan to run today after work, before the school bus- which is roughly 1:00- So, as many miles as I can get in a little over an hour. Brian, I also am sorry to hear about your race. Hang in there. Bugs, hope you feel better. How's everyone else doing? I'm so glad I have this group to keep me motivated! you guys are great! Smile

Bugs

Bugs - stop being sick.
        How do I do that?

Bugs

Not sure it was really rib cramps, not sure how to exactly describe it. Basically, if I tried to take a deep, full breath, it would sieze up about halfway through. So, if I wasn't breathing hard at all, I wouldn't notice. Looking back, I wish I would have kept going, but at the time I knew I couldn't. I felt it from the first mile but it didn't get too bad until 10. Couldn't hardly run once I got to about 13, kinda made me want to hunch over and grab my knees. Oh well, I'll get revenge on it next year.

Dave

How do I do that?
            Lets see. Not running when you're already sick. Listening to your body and backing off when you feel run down. Making sure you're eating enough to support your mileage. Washing your hands. Flu shots... Wink Hope you feel better, Bugs. Mr. I, I'm willing to bet the weekend off will do your legs good. You've been on a tear lately. Kimmie, I'm envious of an hour run today. Shan, of course I'm impressed with your running lately. Huge improvements that will pay big dividends in just a few weeks. I probably won't get out today. Still dealing with just a bit of shin splint like pain in my left leg. Otherwise, feeling pretty well recovered. I'm liking the cooler weather. Easy runs to all.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Got out there yesterday and did 4 miles. Felt good. Will go longer today. And by "out there" I mean the indoor track. 36 laps. I dont mind it too bad, except all the little kids who go sprint/walk, and try to race you or just stop right in the running lane. Its usually not as bad during the week if I remember right. Just signed up for the Y again. Going to try to avoid the cold as much as I can. Got me sick last year. Impressive running Shan. Dont know how you have been able to streak for 40 days. With me, something always comes up. Sorry about the DNF Brian. But as others said,Im sure it was the right thing to do. It sucks wwhen that atuff happens on race day. But dont beat yourself up over it--it was out of your control.

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan, of course I'm impressed with your running lately. Huge improvements that will pay big dividends in just a few weeks.
                umm... we'll see... evil plans might have taken over my brain... smart advances might have gone out the window... i'm not ready to divulge my evil plan just yet... but know stupidity ensues... Murphy - i don't have kids yet... it's easier...
                evanflein

Thanks for starting the new weekly again, Mr. Inertia! We really don't know what we'd do without you. Probably mill around and wring our hands, posting on last week's thread forever... Big grin Shan, usually it seems just when things are going great and we're making terrific progress, we go and come up with some harebrained scheme to make things better or do something different and everything falls to crap. Be careful. And yes, coming from someone whose running log looks just totally pathetic recently, yours is very impressive! Bugs, sure hope you're feeling better soon. I hate being sick. Be good to yourself and be sure you're getting enough rest and water. You'll be up and around again soon. Brian, geez dude. What can I say, it's all been said already. Don't beat yourself up with the "I should've gone on" talk because that's coming from the benefit of a couple days' recovery. You did what you had to do at the time. Sorry though. DNF's suck, and the only way to get over them is get signed up for another marathon while you still have your fitness and training up there. Cash, don't think Botox would help me but thanks for the thought. Went all day without an ibu yesterday; first time in ages. Don't like taking that stuff (or anything) for so long... took one today though, mainly to see how it helps. Sort of a comparison thing with yesterday. As for those fires, be so careful of breathing when it's smoky! The fine particulates in the smoke can cause havoc in your lungs. Not sure if you have the same fine particulate problem our forest fires cause, but it can be hazardous. Hi Kimmie! What do you work where you can run an hour after work before the school bus comes at 1 pm? Sounds like you work early shifts at whatever you do... Enjoy your run, I'm envious! Jeremy, you had a run like I do most winter days. Although I don't deal with much wind in the winter; just cold and dark. But I sure love running on a clear crisp sunny cold day... hope to be able to do that again soon. We've been having some really nice winter running weather, and our bike path has been plowed very well. It all looks so inviting... and I've been going to the gym. *sigh* Oh well, it's all good I guess. I will admit to an easy .25 mile jog yesterday after the elliptical, and foot was "ok" but my shins didn't like it. I thought oh crap, now I'll be in excellent shape, but not in "running" shape, ya know? Running is really unlike any other exercise, and pool running doesn't prepare you for the impact of real running... so I think I'm in for a long road back to anywhere near where I was.... I am getting some good work done in the weight room, which is nice for a change of pace. I hope everyone has a good week, I'll try to stop in a few times but you guys are so active on this thread these days it's easy to fall behind!

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - your running looks the way it does because of an injury you are hoping to heal not because you are a sporadic trainer. And I know I'm young foolish and not being smart with this... but in my mind it is worth it and so I will just have to suffer the consequenses and then get on a good non stupid path... PS your calendar looks amazing!

Bugs

Brian, Did you have a side stitch? Sounds like you had more than this, but if you did the best thing to do is to bend into the side that is hurting. Most people think they should stretch the other way but it is actually you want to GO INTO the cramp. Erika, I bet you bet back to better running shape then you expect. I have had mixed results with XTing. My fitness decreased when I did too much (biking, swimming and running) last fall. Dave, I treated my shin pain with my butter knife last week. It was actually hurting about three inches below my knee. But I scraped my outer shins from ankle up, a trouble spot for me. I got the red dots, which means there was lesions in there, and it released nicely. Butter knife, just saying. Shan, What I like best about your log is there are now "+" health events. Keep it that way. Kimmie, You sure are cheery. You still get to run in shorts there? I feeling like I am getting over the hump of this cold, think I be able to get out for some easy running. It is windy and colder (30F) here. I saw a TMJ doctor today, for just $2K he is certain he can fix my TMJ. I told him I was broke.

Bugs

Kimmie

I got busy earlier and didn't get out to run before the bus. Maybe, I'll make it to the gym and run on the treadmill. Erika, I am a personal trainer and I am usually done by 12 or 1 and the girls get home from school at 2:45. I work part time, which means I should have more time to clean house and other housework- but it doesn't always happen that way. bugs, I have been running in tights but I could be in shorts with long sleeves. The past few runs I've overdressed. I do have a sore throat today- and I'm really bad at determining whether or not I should run or if running will make me full fledged sick. Hope you can feel better soon!
                          OK, I need some feedback here. Heres my plan for the rest of my training. 17-Nov 8 18-Nov 3 19-Nov 12 20-Nov 4 21-Nov rest 22-Nov 10 23-Nov 20 24-Nov rest 25-Nov 6 26-Nov 8 27-Nov 4 28-Nov 8 29-Nov 10 30-Nov rest 1-Dec 3 2-Dec 4 3-Dec rest 4-Dec 4 5-Dec rest 6-Dec 2 7-Dec 26.2 Is the 20 miler too close to the marathon? Would really like to get that one in. But dont want to kill myself in the process. The November 17-23 stretch is 57 miles in 7 days. Im thinking I should cut back somewhere in that range, but not sure where. Also, I was happy that I was down to 190 this morning. Seems like Fridays conspire against me and I always hit my heaviest on weigh-in morning.

Bugs

Murhpy, Great job on weight loss. The 2nd week before race is WAY WAY too much, IMO. I would not run more than 6 miles that week and at most 3 of them, maybe only 2. I would do a 18 mile run ASAP. Forget the 20. When can you do LR? You should access to view the weight log now. I think you will like trend weight. I lost 15 pounds by watching it. I promise to get BMI working by Friday. I confess the weekend was bad for eating. I gave myself a timeout because sickness.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan, What I like best about your log is there are now "+" health events. Keep it that way.
                              huh?? And Dave you know I was just playing with you right?? because my mileage will probably never beat yours again and I only managed that cause you are hurt... i was just giving you some snark...
                                Typically do my long runs on Sat or Sun. Tough to do those during the week. Not likely to get up at 3 am to run the 3+ hours required for an 18 miler. Evening is a possibility. If I get it in before the weekend--Wednesday looks like the best bet--weather wise--dont think I can do 18 miles on the indoor track. Otherwise I can do the 18 on Saturday instead of the 20 scheduled on Sunday, and kill that 10 mile run.