Marathon Trainers

WEEK 3/23 (Read 447 times)

Dave

How Bout Columbus - Oct 18? Or, possibly Air Force Marathon Sep 19th? Yeah, Im being selfish pushing for a local one. But with the baby due the first week of Sep--I wouldnt be able to travel, really, although Id probably stay overnight for both of these--they are close.
    I might be up for those. It will be nearly local for me then.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I knew you were moving, Dave--but missed where you are going? Air Force Marathon is sneaky tough--the heat last year didnt help. Late hills and a late wrap around makes it seem forever to the finish..but I was already spent. The first year I ran it--it was one of my better races..and a PR through half. The race is on Saturday. Columbus is billed as "The World is Flat". It didnt used to be very flat. But they did change up the course, and now it is very flat, and gradual downhill at the end. Being in October--heat is unlikely to be an issue.

Bugs

I would be up for a marathon in the fall. My husband didn't really want me to but I think as rough as Spring has gone he will give in. I've got a wedding Oct. 10th in MN that I need to be here for that. A very wise Japanese man thinks I get sick after I get stressed. I think he is right. My first year of running I felt no pressure to do well because there was no expectations. That year I did not get sick once. I think the economy and personal stress is getting to me too. I've ran slow and fast before. I'm guessing both are in my future again, so I'm not going to fight it.

Bugs

Kimmie

Ok, somebody organize this thing and we're on for Columbus, maybe? I need to read reviews on marathon guide On a totally unrelated to running note, I just got back from DD1's second grade concert. She is a performer... huge smile, big movements, had a solo that she did great on... I just love seeing her love what she's doing. Thanks for letting me brag for a moment. going back to teaching DD2 reading. Smile
          theyapper

On the road again...

Only marathon in the fall I could meet for is Richmond. I'm already signed up, it's my first one, and I'm turning it into a giant family trip to celebrate the life of my brother who passed in '03. The race is being run on what would've been his 40th birthday. If the Team Blister team wants to join the party, that'd be pretty cool. Plus, I think I'll be getting ready to head to India right around the Columbus marathon. Got in a nice 5 miler this morning.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Id vote Columbus over Dayton (Dayton is too close to do date to make the commitment and have people travel for). Read the reviews on marathonguide--it is a very well organized marathon. Downtown hotels arent too pricey. Theres a Buca di Beppo restaurant walking distance from the Crowne Plaza--where I always stay. Its right across from the Expo. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/cmhoc I'll start a thread to push the Columbus agenda.

Bugs

Asked my husband and I got permission to go. Kim if you're coming alone and you don't snore we could share a hotel room. I'm not going to fumble around this time, I'll register and book tickets, and postpone my marathon running retirement four more months.

Bugs

AWESOME!
                    I wonder if Shan is crazy enough to do it a couple weeks after the Tahoe Triple?

Bugs

I LOVE BUCAS.

Bugs

Bugs

Kim, Would you fly back on Monday? I can fly with FF miles or for as cheap as $300 bucks. Flights should be cheap for everyone right now. We need to hurry before I get scared. Smile

Bugs

Kim, Would you fly back on Monday? I can fly with FF miles or for as cheap as $300 bucks. Flights should be cheap for everyone right now. We need to hurry before I get scared. Smile
                          So nobody wants to go to Rhode Island? Fine, then. We'll just hang out with the kids and the baby and to heck with you all. More beer for us, anyway. Tongue

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

I'll go anywhere, but I think majority rules.

Bugs

Kimmie

ok... things are off and running on the plans. First of all, Paul, I think that's great what you're doing for your brother at Richmond. that is somewhat local for me, so I may be able to make it down there. I need to talk to DH about a destination marathon. I guess I should have said: Come run Marine Corps! Then I wouldn't have to spend a dime. Smile You could all sleep on my basement floor and then no one would have to pay for a hotel. I looked at the reviews for Columbus... looks good. Is that close to where you live Murphy? (I'm too lazy to look it up) I have a friend moving from Columbus back to here. she really didn't like it that much. Tell us more, Murphy.... flights around $200.00- drive time 6 and a half hours.' Hmm.....
                                Yeah, Kimmie, its a little over an hour away from my house. Last year I actually stayed home and drove in the morning. But, I would stay over Saturday night this year--as I did the first two years. Columbus is a sprawling city. the area downtown where the marathon starts is nice. The arena district is close to the hotel, and has nice restaurants, etc. Good crowd support initially, and in the neighborhoods. You loop back near the start and run past the hotel around 10 miles I think where the 1/2 breaks off..good crowds there A little sparse when you hit Ohio State campus. The one review I read was fairly accurate--the course change makes the course easier, but the diversion was pretty dull. You do get to run by the Football stadium -- and the very first Wendy's! The finishing chute is awesome..You turn a corner and all the sudden you are there. Its definately a PR course. Probably the 2nd favorite marathon Ive run behind the Pig. Air Force is third, Vegas the least favorite (my favorite destination but the marathon itself was ill-organized--that will change this year--but I wont likely be there).