Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/13 (Read 211 times)

Having to run inside because of the smoke really stinks, Erika.

Nice racing, Jeremy!  Perry - DFL?  Must have been a very fast field.

Bugs - PDR is starting to talk about organizing a relay (she is just about the most organized person I know).  Which one are you running again?  There's a Ragnar which goes close to our house.  One problem is if the race goes within 100 miles of where you live you have to ante up 3 volunteers (or cash to a charity which will pull the volunteers -- we'll probably end up doing the latter).  I think we'll end up renting the vans, though.

If anyone is interested, our camping trip pictures are here: http://www.pbase.com/lking/catskills09 .  We went with several people from the old coolrunning boomer group, including hally, theprofromdover, egret, la tortuga, nighthawk, and of course predawnrunner and myself.  I think most of these folks post over on kickrunners now.

5.1 miles, 46:52, 9:10/mi, AHR 134 (69% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The camping looks fun -- kayaking and laying on beach too Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Erika, I get a faster pace -- maybe you rounded off too much?

Time:
        1 x 8:49 = 8:49
        3 x (8:00 + 8:49/4) = 3 x (8:00 + 2:12.25) = 30:36.75
        7:30/2 = 3:45
        1.5 x 8:49 = 13:13.5

Tot time = 56:24.25

Tot dist = 1 + 3 x (1.25) + .5 + 1.5 = 6.75

6.75mi in 56:24.25 = 8:21.37min/mi

avatar photo is a tribute to this ocarina video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEps94BEPYE

evanflein

Yeah, I did something wrong in totaling up the miles, missed a quarter mile somewhere.

More smoke today, back on the TM at lunch.

theyapper

On the road again...

A great day today.  Started out with my scheduled easy 3.5 miles this morning and it was so cool (low 60s) - cool enough to counter the high humidity.  Then this afternoon my nephew wanted to run again so we ran some stuff over to a friend's house and back for another 2.8 miles.  Legs felt great on both runs.

Tomorrow I get to rest.  Good night, all!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Think I'm acclimated to summer heat.

Last night it was low 70s at end of evening and I was cold -- but was also wearing wet tri shorts.

This evening after I ran 12mi finishing in 83F, I started feeling cold when I stopped. Think probably my body needed drink and food to regain ability to stay warm...

Yeah, I think feeling cold is a sign of dehydration.

I had planned on 10 but I guess I got lazy.  It was a bit warm and my "general aerobic" run may have gone anerobic at times.  I guess I'm still working on building endurance after those few weeks off.

9.1 miles, 1:15:02, 8:12/mi, AHR 164 (84% MHR)

Bugs

Lou,

This is a ragnar relay that starts in LaCross WI and ends in Minneapolis and is end of August. I would never ever be a leader for it as I think it is very time consuming. I know we're hurting to find volunteers too, we'll probably pay. I don't know I'll ever do it again, or just be a backup running for another team. It's just a pain taking a vacation day for an expensive race that is more silly than anything.

Start to feel in shape again. Ran a good seven miles with hills this morning, ran with a friend. I'm going to run a 5K on Saturday, just to get back into the racing mindset and use the time as a guage to build fitness for the fall. Don't laugh at my time.

Bugs

Dave

Yeah, I think feeling cold is a sign of dehydration.

I had planned on 10 but I guess I got lazy.  It was a bit warm and my "general aerobic" run may have gone anerobic at times.  I guess I'm still working on building endurance after those few weeks off.

9.1 miles, 1:15:02, 8:12/mi, AHR 164 (84% MHR)

Nice to see you out running again, Lou and 164 AHR is a tough run any way you slice it.

Glad you're feeling better, Bugs.

Nice double, Yapper.  When do you hit your first 20 for the November race?

Starting at work at my new job even though technically I'm not really in the position until next week.  So much to learn.  Tough to fit in runs.  Took DD11 to Harry Potter last night after work instead of running.  She was so excited about it and really enjoyed the movie.  Good times

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Looks like there's some good running going on here.

Great to see Bugs and Lou running... Smile

bugs, I think you will love that relay.   At least, I loved mine.  It is a lot of work, though.

My running has been a little on the low side this week.... squeezing what i can in...  I 'm teaching a sports camp at night and that was when I was getting my running in.  Feels like something's gotta give.

Like I haven't run today, been at the pool for 3 hours with kids ( not complaining... nice life, I know.  Smile )

and  I'm teaching this camp tonight.  So, if I'm crazy dedicated than I can run tonight at 9:00 when I get home.  My schedule says 10.  hmm....   

Stay tuned... 

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice double, Yapper.  When do you hit your first 20 for the November race?

Sept. 26. I'm already nervous. 

Paul

You'll do fine, yapper.

I think we'll soon be paying for the cool temps we had for the last month.  Warm and humid yet again (if 69° is considered "warm" -- sheesh, only 79% humidity and it felt sweltering -- I'm such a weenie).

3.1 miles, 29:00, 9:14/mi, AHR 138 (71% MHR)

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Lou.  Good thing I've still got 2 months of build-up before I have to tackle that 20 miler.

I agree about the heat.  Went out for a pace run this morning and it was 70 degrees with 100% humidity.  Uggh.

Paul

Happy Camper

You'll do fine, yapper.

I think we'll soon be paying for the cool temps we had for the last month.  Warm and humid yet again (if 69° is considered "warm" -- sheesh, only 79% humidity and it felt sweltering -- I'm such a weenie).

3.1 miles, 29:00, 9:14/mi, AHR 138 (71% MHR)

Cool temps are on the way Lou.  We're going to have a great weekend here.  I'm getting my mileage back up and hopefully some speed will follow.  I paid entry for the Heart of America on September 7th.  There is a 50k trail run here in October.  That and the 100 miler will be my fall running calender. 

Erika:  Our Marathon has had runners participate from every state except Alaska and Vermont.  This year is the 50th running.  I'll pay your entry fee. ($25.00 )  Why don't you give Benj a call and fix this for us?  Please!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

Bryan, what marathon is that? I've got an idea... you pay for my airfare and I'll pick up the entry fee!

Kimmie, nice day you have, but yeah I can see where it'd be hard to get the running in. Structure is nice for that, helps you keep on track. As for the 10 at 9 pm, um, I'd switch with a different day and try again.

Yay Bugs! Sounds like you're coming back nice and easy. Good job on finding a 5k to run (not race too hard) for a test of fitness. I feel like I'm struggling and have lost a lot... need to figure out what I was doing last year to feel so strong...

Seems I miss a lot of days here, or something. Finding life pretty busy this week and it's hard to keep up. But I'm running a little streak these days... last non-run day was July 6, so if I run today (3 EZ RAL planned) it'll be day #11. That's a lot for me!

Last night I ran home from work, 9.1 miles total, first 7.1 at 8:32 avg pace (trying to figure what I can hold as MP these days); then 2 miles up the hill to home at 9:03 avg. The uphill miles were better than I thought they'd be.

I'll be heading to Seattle Sunday morning, so will try to get my long run in on Saturday. I'd love to get 16-17 miles in, but considering how hard I crashed on last Sunday's LR, I'll be conservative. I'll really try to slow it down for this one. Then I've found a couple running route ideas for Seattle on Sunday, looking for 8 miles or so and I have the whole afternoon to myself. Problem will be starting from downtown with no car... 2 mile walk/jog gets me to a park where I can start. Hope I don't get lost.

Then next week will be light, sort of a mini-taper for the 16.5 mile hilly trail race on Sunday. Not expecting to PR my time, but would be nice to come close. Gotta finish early for the best beer and burgers at the end! (stragglers frequently get nothing but leftovers)