Marathon Trainers

Bring on the New Year - Week of 1/3/2010 (Read 211 times)

Kimmie

Hey Murphy!!   Really great to see you and congrats on baby #2 on the way.   Keep up the good work.  If you want to send me a message, I could write a workout for you that will maximize your time at the gym.  But, you didn't ask for my help, so only if you need it. Smile

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all.  I do respect the distance and I hope I am not stupid by attempting it.... positive attitude, experience, and super easy pace is what I'm relying on.

Great run today with a friend.   Felt cold at 25 degrees but we warmed up quickly.    My sister, in Florida, is concerned that it will be cold for me on Sunday-    The forecast is for a high of 65.   Big grin   Those Floridians crack me up.   I will have a tank and shorts on.... maybe some arm socks.  The locals will have hats, tights, etc....

Thanks Kimmie..I think Im mostly going to be running at the gym. Im working up my training plan--and to keep my miles up, Im going to do a lot of mid week doubles. 3-4 miles at lunch followed by up to 6 miles in the evening after everyone is asleep. That's about the only way I can see myself realistically getting to 40 mile level that I want to average. That worked well when I was losing weight this summer.

I'll have to catchup Kimmie--looks like you are doing an ultra? What distance? Ive always thought an ultra would be super cool..but even I know my current limitations. My B-I-L has recently started running ultras--but he's insane.

Kimmie

Ha! An ultra, no, just a marathon that I didn't enough long runs for. Ha! I just said "just" a marathon.

Dave

Nice to see you back, Murphy, and congrats on the baby Boy!  All I was good for was girls.Wink.

You've got me thinking about maybe putting the Pig on my race calendar.  Would be a good forcing function to get me doing long runs again. 

I'm sure you'll be fine, Kim.  Race day always charges me up in ways I couldn't predict and I have no doubt that Disney will be extra exciting.

3.5 for me on the treadmill at lunch.  Nice even pace.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Congrats, Murphy!  Nice to have one of each.

Kim is doing "just" a marathon Smile

And Dave might do some long runs, as long as he signs up for the Pig.  That looks like a fun one -- we'll do that some day, too.  Hmm, we're planning not to do Boston in 2012, maybe then...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

The Pig is a good race. Probably my favorite overall marathon experience. Good support throughout. Let us know if you decide to do it Dave--at the very least we can hook up for dinner the night before. Dont think I'll have a bed to offer with a 2 month old in the house. Would have a couch to offer up if you dont mind possibly waking up every 2 hours. I plan on doing the local races this year--Pig, Dayton, Columbus. One or more may be halves. They are all great races.

Dave

Thanks, Murph.  I'll make sure we at least line up for dinner.  My wife has friends in the area she'll want to see as well so it will line up well as a family trip for us.

Lou is right about my need for races to force me to be more consistent in my training.

I ran a decent HM last year and 2x10 milers.  Nothing longer.  My mileage for the year came out to (and this is VERY sad) only 522 miles.  For the year.  Ouch.

I'll do better this year though.  I can feel it Big grin.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I logged just over 250 miles last year. There are some runs I didnt log. I may have done 300. I actually dont think Ive ever hit 1000 in a year. I've gone strong for a couple months at a time, but burn out. My resolution this year is to sustain the momentum.

I cleared some of the sticky threads that havent been updated in a long time, and added the 2011 goals. If someone else wants to put the race calendar up, go ahead.

evanflein

Thanks, Murphy! I started that race calendar because it seemed to help keep track of what everyone was doing, but "some people" wouldn't update their stuff so it got to be a bit irrelevant towards year end.

Rest day yesterday, gym day today with a run later. That's the plan so far.

Kimmie, it's warmer here than it was in Florida for part of this past weekend! (well, our high vs. their low) Always fun when that happens. It's still very mild out with temps in the 20's and low 30's today, cooling off later this week.

There are some runs I didnt log.

heh

I have logged every mile I have ever run.  Well, since I started running.  (i.e., I don't have a log for the miles I ran when I played soccer, for instance)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

I didn't start logging my runs till I joined Cool Running, after almost a year I think. But that was a pretty low mileage year. I kind of stumbled onto CR when I started seriously thinking of the Equinox the first time, so I guess that was 2005. Cashmason was on there with me, and several others we hardly ever hear from anymore. Ahhh, the good ol' CR days.

I did get to the gym yesterday, had a good workout on the elliptical and weights (what I could cram into a lunch hour), then ran 5.15 miles on the treadmill after work. Today I was thinking we'd have another day of mild temps, so I brought some outdoor running gear appropriate for 20° or so. Since then, the temps have steadily dropped all day down to 3° now. Crap. Didn't bring enough stuff, that's for sure. So now it's time to reconsider the running plan tonight.

Dave

I'm sure I missed a few runs last year.  Treadmill mostly that I just never got into my log.  

Speaking of treadmill.  5 today in 47:00.  I went to the gym after work and knocked it out.  Along with about 5000 people who will keep their work out resolutions until sometime next week.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

2 miles on the treadmill after teaching for an hour and lifting .

Congrats on the baby Murph.

Kimmie,  enjoy your JUST a Marathon.

Erika honey,  stay warm.