Marathon Trainers

February 2012 (Read 321 times)

Kimmie

Thanks for posting all of that.    I found it interesting, even though I don't struggle with PF.

I hope you find it helpful and you're able to get bak to more running.

Good run, Erika.  I think it's awesome how much your DH meets you at the end of your runs with your stuff.... that's so cool.

I ran 5 yesterday and 5 today....  My mileage was really low last week after straining my calf.   I can still feel it, so I've kept it slow and short the past few days.  I went to the massage guy and he helped.

I don't think I shared this story, but if I'm repeating myself, sorry... Smile    I have a friend who is running her first 5K in about a month, I think.   She has never run outside before (only treadmill)  I told her I would help her, so we plan to meet up and run.   She is REALLY nervous and not sure if she can complete the distance.  I told her we would plan to run 3 miles and walk if necessary.   She told me her time goal for the 5K was under 40 minutes... I told her that she would beat it, no problem.    We ran 3.1 exactly and it took us 35 minutes, even with two short walking breaks.   She was thrilled.  I love that......new runner enthusiasm is so much fun.  Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Aww, that's great Kim.

And I hope Bugs new treatment plan starts to improve the PF.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Very cool story, Kimmie. She's lucky to have you as a friend. How'd she feel being off the treadmill? It can be a big adjustment for some.

6.7 miles last night, I'll call it "easy" based on pace (8:52) but truth be told with the new snow out there and the darkness, it was more of a GA effort. Either that or my legs are still tired from Sunday. Running in the "almost dark" is interesting. I headed down roads I thought had streetlights, but they didn't. Strange that I didn't notice that before. The roads are hard pack snow with some ice, and a little uneven from tire tracks. Not ruts, really, but dips and ridges running lengthwise, easy to stumble and mis-step. I found a lighted bike path though and finished my run with a couple of laps on that.

Bugs

Kim, you are a kind supportive person. You have helped so many runners. Today I swam, tomorrow up at 4:30 to run with running partner. Staying off the TM and forcing myself outside, which is less convenient. I am going back to school, learn how to exercise. Going to swim clinic, and also a chi running clinic.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Our 4th trail race of this winter's series is in the morning. This is the most cross-country of them - hills, water crossings, and fields -- it's very nice -- all it lacks is water views -- but most of our other ones have water views. DW made cookies for this, and I've other volunteers bringing other food. I'm looking forward to it. I expect to get to race it (that just depends on if I have enough volunteers to time).

Kimmie

Thanks you guys....

I think I'm definitely injured... can't run without pain and then I'm altering my stride..... so I wonder if I need to wait until it doesn't hurt at all before I run again?  Not sure-  I may need to go to a real Dr. and get a diagnosis..... any input or thoughts?  It's basically a really sore achilles and then the soreness runs up my calf.

evanflein

Fun race, Perry... if you've got mild weather for it.

I almost froze on my run Sunday, was not much fun at all there at the end. 11.3 miles when the goal was 15-17. Oh well.

Kimmie, don't mess with the achilles soreness; that's one injury that will really come back to bite you if you don't take care of it. Can you go pool running? That was the best thing for my achilles issue a few years ago.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't know much, but people I've known with achilles issues had to cut back or take time off.

Bugs

Kimmie, 

Sorry but +1 for time off. I think rolling it on foam roller/stick would be good too.

Perry,

You and Erika almost got me convinced to try trails. 

4 Mile Run Today!! Longest run in four months. 

Bugs

geez you guys seem so busy.  Kimmie, I hope you feel better soon.

I haven't spent a great deal of time on this site for a while.  I've got 6 weeks of running before my Boston taper and I'm quite behind with respect to my speed.  I signed up for a 50mi ultra in October, my first, and have mapped out a 'it sure would be nice to keep up' training schedule.

...and that's about it for me.

oh one last thing, I did my first ever trail run a couple of weekends ago with my old running buddy.  It was so much fun, I had no idea.  Very very slow, but fun. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Last week I got in an unplanned 6+8 where the latter 8 were at fairly near MP. This week I did a planned 8+8, where the first 8 were slow and the second 8 were at or below MP. That may be the first time I've ever successfully executed a long run with a second half at MP. I've always heard it is a good idea, but been unable to compel myself to do so. Did both halves as group runs, which got me through them.

i feel the itch to get running again. Hopefully I can keep it up until my race. Real life got in the way big time..so much going on. Hopefully I can carve out enough time for some "me time" on the roads. I need to catch up on the thread.

Bugs

Ran again today. My shoe whisperer magic is working. I run so happy to run again, even though I am starting over. Who knows maybe with this ladies help I an be a running nut like Perry.

Bugs

Bugs

+4 miles today. Very slow. Makes me want to loose the 8 pounds I put on in the last six months. Funny how the desire to run (and not the running) does that.

Bugs

evanflein

I hear ya on the 8 pounds, Bugs. Got the same problem. And yeah, I bet my running would be easier without them.

10.1 miles today, about 8° but no wind and bright sunshine so it was nice, even though the footing sucked at times.