Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/16 (Read 259 times)

Thanks, Lou.  Probably would have helped if I'd read more closely.

No problem -- we all have limited time and skimming does happen Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

A little over 3 miles today.  Nothing major, that's for sure.

What should I be expecting body-wise and mileage-wise post marathon?  I'm just running what I feel like right now, making sure the pace and HR are more recovery-ish.  How long do I do that?  When is it okay to look ahead toward other races (like a 10k, half)?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I think rule of thumb is to take 3-4 weeks to get back to average base mileage from before the marathon, all running "easy", at least for the first couple of weeks.  I think you should be ready for a shorter race in 5 weeks or so.  Not sure about half but I would think that's ok too after about that long.

Kimmie

Paul- I would say just go by how you feel but be really careful not to overdo it too soon right after the marathon.

First time out in 11 days today.  I could feel my ankle but it wasn't too bad.  Loved the trails that I was on, tons of leaves, just gorgeous.  Ended up with almost 7 miles.  I may be able to still hit 1500 after all.   We'll see.

Bugs

Paul,

My technique is, Pretend you have boobs and stick them out.

Bugs

LOL Bugs

Speaking of what to do after a marathon I can't help but think what I did after my first. I had read somewhere (can't remember where) that you should take of so many days for each mile you ran. I took of 6 weeks. BIG MISTAKE . Pretty much wasted all those miles I had put in.

Anyway ran with RP over at Lil Le Hi. Only had time for 10 miles since I had to get home and shower and be at the twins school for conferences. Speaking of which I LOVE going to those things. It's so nice to hear how AWESOME my kids are. Makes me feel like I'm doing something right.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Speaking of what to do after a marathon I can't help but think what I did after my first. I had read somewhere (can't remember where) that you should take of so many days for each mile you ran. I took of 6 weeks. BIG MISTAKE . Pretty much wasted all those miles I had put in. 

Ouch! I did read somewhere that you shouldn't race again until you've run 10 easy miles for every mile in the marathon, so that'd be around 260 miles. Seems like a lot. What do ya'll think?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I'm not sure Paul. I know I didn't do another race after my first marathon (which happened to be my first race ever) until the following April. Thinking back if I hadn't taken the rest of November and ALL of December off I could have raced much earlier. However I did.  What length of race are you looking to do?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

It's pretty much up to how you feel. Some people recover really fast, others need more time. If you shouldn't be doing speedwork for a couple (2-3) weeks after the marathon, I sure wouldn't be racing hard in that time.

Elliptical and weights at lunchtime. Rachel Ray was doing something that looked really good. Might have to mosey over to the food network website and see if I can find some recipes. I always watch her during my lunch workouts (the cardio machines all have little TV's) and want to make stuff afterwards! Then I get home and forget what it was.

Ringmaster

LOL  I don't even watch food tv b/c I can barely scramble eggs.

Pam, I'm glad you got good reports at the conferences. Someone from our Bible study told me my ds was so smart and good and it just gave me warm fuzzies.

Paul, after my marathon I took off two days completely, I think, then went walking. By five days later I was running 4 miles--somewhat slow, then 4 the next day. By the next week I'd run 5 Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday--all real easy. But I felt good, so I didn't worry when dh told me I wasn't taking it easy enough. Then that day, Thursday, playing at the park with my kids, I got my big toenail literally kicked off. Though the podiatrist said I could run in a few days, the pain was so bad when I tried to wear a shoe that I was on the bench for almost two weeks. But maybe the forced recovery was good--when I got back, it was three weeks after the race and I felt really good. I got back to my regular schedule, including a 10-mile long run, for a total of 34 miles the first full week I got back to running, a pretty decent weekly non-training mileage for me. My first race was a 7-mile race six weeks after, and it was tough, but my legs didn't feel tired--it just felt like I'd been working on endurance so much that I had no kick.

I would go by feel. Go easy at first, and I'd suggest you be prepared to be flexible with your time goals.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Hawt and sexy

So I had a cold and didn't run for a few days, but since I hardly ever update my log, it's all good. 

So I bought a couple of skirts from runningskirts.com because of a sale and I had to get a matching sports bra with one.  The sports bra has removable pads.  I am a skinny tall chick with B-cups that look teeny because of my small body.  The pads are like 2 cup sizes worth of padding. I can now run and pretend I have like D-cups. Spooky.

I ran just shy of a 10k today.

There is a Turky Trot 5k this Sunday that I may run if the weather stays good.

Seriously, I just ran outside today in November in PA.  There is no snow.  It's like spring here.  Crazy.

I'm touching your pants.

Good morning!

8.2 miles, 1:05:46, 8:00/mi, AHR 159 (81% MHR)

Kimmie

Good morning you all!

I know it's almost spring like here too.

My Girls on the Run group is having their Practice 5K Race today and it's supposed to rain.  I know that's not a big deal to us, but these little girls will freak if they have to run in the rain.  Well, some of them anyway.  And the Moms may think that we're doing the wrong thing making them run in the rain.  I just hope it's not going to rain.   I measured out a course and it's 2.25 miles long, not the whole distance.  This is REALLY far for some of the girls.  For Darby, the farthest she's gone is 1.75 miles with some walking.  I need to think about how much walking she should do, as I'll  be accompanying her.  I think 5 minutes of running, 1 minute of walking, something Galloway like, as opposed to running until you're too tired to continue and then walking for a long time.  This group has been so great to coach. 18 girls- all different levels- grades 3-5 . I have one girl who says she wants to be just like me someday.  Smile    She never ran before in her life and just the other day she ran 3 miles.  She never walks.  She's 8 years old.   I told her Mom that she's a natural runner.   The actual 5K is on December 5th.   This is just to get them used to the idea.  

this afternoon with the girls will have to count as my running, I think.  I just won't have time otherwise to get a real run in.

Bugs

I LOVE FOOD TV. Like watching, not so much cooking.

Willa!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like you found a good bra to stuff your winter running gloves in when your hands get warm.

Kim, That is a great program. I wish I could coach but have to work in the afternoon. Hope it doesn't rain, but maybe it would be good for the girls. Learn they can survive that too.

Lou, you rock!

Weird, running partner were both up early. 8 miles, 8:51 pace. I ran on my own the last two miles, 45F in the rain WONDERFUL weather. We're still struggling because I am faster than her these days. I'm afraid I'm running too much too fast for November but running is pretty easy. Thinking I'll cut back next week before I get flagged with an injury. Guess I'll try to get some rockin mama arms instead.

Bugs

Damn Willa if I didn't have "mad hills" tomorrow I'd think about coming up on Sunday and doing the 5k.  Dh is taking tomorrow off and I should probably spend the day with him but DAMN I told my self I'd be running those hills every other week weather and safety permitting. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm what to do what to do. I guess I better decide quickly cause if I'm doing hills tomorrow I'm taking today as a rest day. If not I need to get in gear and get out for a run before kids get home.