Marathon Trainers

6/2-6/8 (Read 168 times)

Dave

Shan, guess you know what it feels like. Not sure I'd ever describe speedwork as fun, especially if you don't warm up or cool down Wink Another poor self control day. 6 miles with some work buddies at just under a 9 minute pace. High HR and some knee soreness after two speedwork sessions back to back. Maybe I need to roll out the "Stupid" run category. I've got to commit to some slower easier workouts.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - I really think Stupid was all encompassing and you should definitely adopt it. It's funny because i thought of you because I didn't try to go fast I just ran with reckless abandon!
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Bugs- that IS nice pic. Dusting someone while he's grimacing and you're smiling on a hill - that's a keeper. Brian - sometimes you just have to blow the carbon out of your system with some intensity. If you're not doing specific training that gets set back by too much intensity and as long as you don't get injured, sometimes you just gotta say "what the heck" and run fast. Just be careful. Oh, and morning runs are great in the summer. Nobody's going to be home tonight so I'm doing my run this evening. If it's not raining too hard, I'm going to do a track workout. If it's storming, I'll hit the TM for 4 or so. There's a local race on July 4th, actually they have a 5k and a 10k. Last year I did both and did fairly well. Racing two races back to back (hilly courses too!) was really intense. In the resuslts, they had me listed in the wrong age group. Here's the kicker - they give awards 5 deep (just ribbons) and I would have gotten some hardware had I been listed in the correct age group ( I beat #5 by almost a minute). I really really liked doing back to back races like that. In some ways it was more intense than a HM. This year I'm thinking about skipping the 5k and just doing the 10k in hopes of some hardware. I've never gotten hardware before.

Oh Mighty Wing

burned out at work + milk & cookies = WORST RUN EVER!!! 1mile of hell... man my week is not going well!

Bugs

Shan, Sounds like you need a hot bath and early bed time...uh think I may prescribe the same for myself. Was clearing the trail through the woods tonight, and found a trail my neighbor had already cleared a trail along our border. Ran it with the kids, like a dream. Never even knew it was there. Should be able to run on it. Shin probably could use some soft running.

Bugs

Cashmason

Two and a half hours of tennis tonight. Kicked myself in the ankle going after a ball. Took some skin off the ankle. First time I have played tennis in 8 years. Not hitting the ball as well as I did, when I was winning local tournaments. But the ball striking got better as the evening went along. And I was able to play with an old friend and we had a good time. 8 yard side to side dashes for a couple of hours sure is different on the body than my 10 mile training runs. Stupid runs = eating the paste. That was a great pic Bugs. Like Shan said, you smiling, as you blow past a guy who is grimacing in pain. Note to Bugs, use the other shin to kick your husband in the head, until this one heals.
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Did a track workout last night! It was AWESOME!. I've done a few here and there but have never had a steady diet. They're a big part of my schedule this time around. Basically I'm alternating medium/long runs with some tempo work one week and interval training the next for the bulk of my schedule. Last night I did 8 x 400s. The first few were WAY too fast mostly because I don't have much experience at running a given pace on the track. It wasn't until the last 3 that I got my pacing correct. As I was on my last interval I made eye contact with a woman with an unspoken "This is tough". She said "I don't know how you do so many!" and that made me feel pretty studly.
                  All of a sudden it looks like I'm running more. On my running chart, my marathon was making all of my runs look like they were about 200 yards long. With that off there, things look much better. Sorry, just had to let everyone konw.

Dave

Did a track workout last night! It was AWESOME!.
                    I'm glad you like them, MrI, because I can't say I look forward to them much Tongue Seriously though, it sounds like you had a great workout. Painful crosstraining yesterday and 4.5 for me today in sweltering, sticky, humid heat. I stepped back from the paste jar and had a very nice 144 avg HR run.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Brain - no sorry's!!! You should check out my log... that 10 miler made me feel like it looked the same way... Mr. I - glad the speed workout went well! Dave - why was cross training painful?? painful does not sound good!! 5 miles today with Cash's voice (or what I imagine it sounds like) reminding me to not eat the paste as my friend disappeared ahead of me! And it worked it was a nice run!

Dave

Dave - why was cross training painful?? painful does not sound good!!
                        Just more of the crossfit training (http://www.crossfit.com/). Yesterday was 1000M Rowing, then 25 burpees, 750M rowing, 50 burpees, 500M rowing, 75 burpees. (a burpee is sort of a jumping pushup, google it if you're curious). Took nearly an hour for me since I was so smoked after the first two sets. Good news is I wasn't really that sore and was able to run today.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

oh goodness those burpees look really really hard! I'm not sure I could keep going after 1 of them! so you must be in really good shape!
                          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Ok, now I'm paying for the track session and may not be looking forward to them as much in the future. My legs are pretty fried. Either I ran it a bit too hard, did it too soon after the race or a combination of those two things. Shortened my run this morning and did 4 slow miles.
                              I really planned on getting up this morning for my run, but when the tornado sirens went off at midnight I knew that was out of the question. Then we lost power for a couple of hours so my alarm . . . Sorry, won't bore you with the details, but I'm tired. I'll get them in tonight, and maybe even take my son along. He's a big fan of my runs. Oh, also found out earlier this week that I'll be a dad for the 2nd time in January. Pretty excited.

Oh Mighty Wing

Brian - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And there are no boring details!!