Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/6 (Read 341 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Have you thought about going to a chiropractor murphy?? It might be worth looking into. Hope your back is feeling better ASAP!
    +1
      It's muscular--so a chiropractor wouldnt do the trick. A massage therapist, maybe.

Oh Mighty Wing

It's muscular--so a chiropractor wouldnt do the trick. A massage therapist, maybe.
        ok well then do that!!! and my chiro used to massage the crap outta my tensed up muscles in my leg - it hurt so good.
          You would be suprised Murphy. Also are you sure it's all muscular? If your back is out of alignment at all it can cause spasms. Anyway like I said just a thought. How about having dw massage your back? Or better yet go get a nice Professional one.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Pam, I do understand that sometimes you're better running, usually reduced easy running, but running and you feel better. I tried not running for a week, it didn't help. The long run though seemed to knock me off my feet again. I'm hoping limited running will be the perfect balance. Hope your daughter is OK, nothing worse than worring over your kids. Murphy, a graston chriopractor might help. They can work out the knots better really good, and is total different treatment than just adjustments. Erika, sorry didn't comment on your 20 earlier. WOW WOW WOW. That's fast. Is that faster than the 20 before last year for Boston? You ran all those marathons last fall and winter, how do you feel in comparison to last year? I ran 6 on the TM, and struggled with my second run, no energy. I ran 3.5 miles with some walk breaks and kind of forced it at the end. The forcing it left me feel better. Nobby said he's still sick too. Boy he aint' going to want to run with me again.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy, a graston chriopractor might help. They can work out the knots better really good, and is total different treatment than just adjustments.
              haha I was waiting for a butter knife and baby oil comment!!!! this is close enough though!! Smile
              Erika, sorry didn't comment on your 20 earlier. WOW WOW WOW. That's fast. Is that faster than the 20 before last year for Boston? You ran all those marathons last fall and winter, how do you feel in comparison to last year?
              oh yeah I want to know the answer to this also!!!

Bugs

P2R, Here's the back picture. For years my sister would say push my shoulders back and it felt so unnatural. Instead working on pushing my ribcage out which straightens my shoulders is much more natural. I am also doing the back exercises where you lift your backup and I stopped doing pushups (for now) because they were making it worse. I've always recovered better if I can get in the pool and do the breaststroke and Nobby caught on that right away, as it must have helped my back emensely. I think my TMJ is getting better since I started working on my back. Nobby seems to have helped me with a big chronic problem. Hope it helps you too!

Bugs

Kimmie

Murphy- hope you're back is better quick... I agree that a chiro would help. Dave- hope the knee is minor. Shan- have fun in Yosemite... I already told you that's one of my favorite places. Bugs, I need to try that pushing the shoulder blades back. That is my trouble area also and I did notice the more pushups I do, the worse it gets. Tonight, I had the best run... allergies have been bugging me, so I almost didn't go, I'm so glad I just went. 6 miles of tempo work with my group. We've been inside yesterday because of rain and today it was dang cold, so it just felt like I was being let out of a cage. The kind of run where I actually want to raise my arms to the side and act like I'm flying. Smile
                  Cashmason

5 miles tonight for me, after lifting. Nice run Kimmie. I know that feeling of putting your arms out like you are flying. I like doing that on downhill trails.
                      Kimmie - good to see a fun run for you. Bugs - I'm having a little trouble reading the text on that image. TMJ is in the jaw, right? I think my wife had that in grad school. She had to have the disk manipulated by a dentist and then had to wear some kind of brace -- I guess she had a bad case, as they almost had to do surgery. Murphy - I hope your back gets better soon -- I've had back issues in the past and I know it is no fun at all. Plan had 3x1mi interval repeats, but I didn't feel up to it. Decided that wasn't necessary this close to the race, so ran at a bit better than MP without any problems. 8.1 miles, 1:03:36, 7:49/mi, AHR 159 (82% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

The kind of run where I actually want to raise my arms to the side and act like I'm flying. Smile
                        That is the best feeling. Don't be shy, get those arms out there. It confuses the drivers that go past but its so worth it. My knee doesn't seem serious. Just the usual "4 days in a row" tweakiness for me. Today is looking like a good day for a few extra miles. What a great run, Lou. I'm sure you're smart for laying off the intervals at this point. 8 miles below MP is a pretty tough workout all by itself.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

5 miles tonight for me, after lifting. Nice run Kimmie. I know that feeling of putting your arms out like you are flying. I like doing that on downhill trails.
                          It actually was a downhill trail. The trail we run on has a paved part and a dirt path- also called the horse trail. paved part is pretty flat (used to be a railway) dirt part has some small hills. Smile It's gorgeous here today. Going to an Easter festival with the kids. Spring Break is awesome. Yesterday we were dyeing eggs and putting our initials on them. Piper ( my 5 year old) says: Momma, I don't like my initials. They spell Po. Me: Oh yeah? Piper: Yeah,I think F-U would be better. I like the sound of Fu. Me: speechless. Oh the innocence of kids sometimes.

Oh Mighty Wing

ok so it's saying rain/snow today, tomorrow should be sunny with a chance of PM showers. My thoughts are to push it off till tomorrow - especially given they had a winter weather advisory till 11am today. darn bad weather - doesn't it know i'm here on vacation!

Bugs

Bugs - I'm having a little trouble reading the text on that image. TMJ is in the jaw, right? I think my wife had that in grad school. She had to have the disk manipulated by a dentist and then had to wear some kind of brace -- I guess she had a bad case, as they almost had to do surgery.
                              Sorry, I will post in French next time. Smile Nobby just said the coach is trying to teach the kid to run with this back straight. Best thing he said is to run and pretend someone is pushing your back forward between your shoulder blades. You will feel the difference in the abs. TMJ is just awful. It's one of those chronic things docs can't do crap for. Mine comes and goes, mostly minor. Eating things like apples, or chewing pizza really triggers in. Stress certainly can be a factor. I saw a special dentist once that wanted to charge me $2.5K for a mouth piece that might help. I'm not that desperate. Dave, Sorry about the knee troubles. When you move will you be able to hire movers? I sure hope so, moving a family is like running an ultra marathon...beyond my abilities.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

OMG so braces = TMJ!!!! Just so you know!! MTA: 5 miles - easy peasy. 30mph winds and flurries - I was in shorts and a t-shirt and sweating... what an odd experience.