Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/9 (Read 307 times)

Cashmason

Good Luck Kimmie ! And I second the hat / visor idea. Rain in the face if it is windy is not fun. I also wear sunglasses in the rain, as when it rains here it is also windy, and sand kicks up off the beach, until the sand is too wet to blow. Sand in the eyes is not fun. I ran a PR in a major downpour. Oh and body glide your feet. Wet and friction = blisters. No friction no blisters. 1500 yards in the pool at the swim clinic. Good news is I am standing there in nothing but swim trunks and cute women are hitting on me. Bad news, so are the not cute ones. I need advice from women on how to politely discourage the ones I am not interested in. Even with the cute ones it is only a smile and nice chat. I am attatched, but it makes me feel good.
      Well that wasn't so bad -- there was only one time that the wind in my face was carrying grit and I had to run with my eyes almost closed. Lots of recycling detritus around the neighborhood. One mailbox was blown off. I wrote our address on our recycling bin so if it does blow away hopefully it'll be returned. 3.1 miles, 28:32, 9:07/mi, AHR 132 (66% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Good for you, Lou, on getting out there... I know it's super windy here too. I hate that because the wind actually woke me up early this morning. I'm not running today- getting ready to get on the road. thanks for all the input- I can't believe I didn't think of a hat... So, when I get to the EXPO, I will look for one as well as a cheap rain slicker.... and I will remember to Body glide my feet. Cash- I have no advice for you- but I guess that's a good problem to have. Smile I'll have to tell my single friend who desperately wants to meet a fit woman that he needs to start training for tris.

Oh Mighty Wing

3 and change! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!! There were some points it was like a wind tunnel and I swear I wasn't going forward!! And I got to see the dawn and that was just humbling.

Happy Camper

SSDD, pull-ups/chin-ups followed by run. 6-miles in 57:02. AVG HR 143bpm in the 60%-70% or HRR for me. Good Luck Kimmie! You East Coasters can enjoy your awesome wind. I had calm 29°F with a bright warming sun this morning. Perfect!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Running ought to be interesting today. Waiting "patiently" for the UPS guy to show up with some important documents. Hoping to get out and run after that (not sure that I'll actually be running forward)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Great job on the pushups and run Pace Smile I expect to see alot of the same Lou. Way to get your run in!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Enjoying a nice, easy REST DAY!! Kimmie, hope you have a great race! Wish I was gonna be down there doing the half. Oh well.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Good luck, Kimmie! Go kick some butt, and yes do pick up a cap at the Expo. Good souvenir and useful, too. Cash the chick-magnet. Heh. Wink Bugs, that was good. Nice job. I'm with Bryan, you guys can keep that wind. Funny about writing your address on the bin, Lou. Hope that works. I'm a real baby about the wind. We hardly get any wind here, just in spring it seems. My mom always said it helps dry up the mud and puddles from breakup. Makes sense. But I don't like to run in it. I ran 10.2 miles last night... a little longer than planned but got off on a tangent somewhere and had to get back. Average pace was 8:40, which was frustrating because I was sure I was going faster. Must've been the effort from the snow, although the plows had been out in some areas. Amazingly enough, most of the miles were between 8:38 and 8:41... one was 8:51 going through some deeper unplowed snow, fastest was mile 8 at 8:26 (but I pushed the last half of that one). Finished with hill sprints up the big hill behind my office. I'd stop and rest when a car came by, then took off in the road again. I wonder how I'd log "car dodging" in my log? Just 4 or so easy at lunchtime today.

Oh Mighty Wing

my mom had to put her dog down today. she was 14 years old. I spent over half my life with her. I guess when it rains it pours... i hope to be back to being a usual participant next week. I miss you guys.
                        Sorry you had to see your old friend go, Shan.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Sorry you had to see your old friend go, Shan.
                          me too. I called my mom afterwards - that broke my heart. She had just left the vet and was crying bad. I'll go down tonight for dinner. Cry and thank you.
                          evanflein

Oh that's so hard. I am not looking forward to the day we have to say goodbye to Cheyenne, but I'm afraid it's not that far off. 14 is a good long life for a dog, sounds like she had a good home and a loving family. Cherish the memories, laugh at the funny stuff, hug your mom. And hugs to you, too. {{{Shan}}}

Hail to The Victors!

my mom had to put her dog down today. she was 14 years old. I spent over half my life with her. I guess when it rains it pours... i hope to be back to being a usual participant next week. I miss you guys.
                              Wow, that's just like kicking someone when they're down. I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you are doin' ok! I hope you guys have a nice time tonight fondly remembering what a good dog she was!

Bugs

I need advice from women on how to politely discourage the ones I am not interested in.
                                Such problems Cash. Tell them you live with your Mother. Talk only about yourself. Look only at their breasts. Tell them you would have called but you have laundry all over the house and misplaced their number. Tell them, "Execuse me but I have to go to the bathroom, hey you don't happen to have a newspaper I could borrow?"

Bugs