Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/20 (Read 228 times)

Oops, forgot to report my run this morning:

I was up at 3:15 and out the door at 4:00 for mid-week medium long run.  Warm and humid (69°F, 94%)  this morning had my heart going pitter-pat, especially near the end.  I thought the HRM was going wacko again but it was me this time.  

13.1 miles, 1:54:00, 8:43/mi, AHR 155 (79% MHR)

miles@pace(AHR) = 5@9:07(143), 3@8:48(151), 5.09@8:15(167)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice half, Lou.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Yeah, those last 5 miles look pretty tough. Oh, btw, my HR would be upper 170's, low 180's for that stretch.

Smoky lunchtime run, not bad on the way out but noticeably worse on the return trip. 5.5 miles with a couple of tempo miles in there for 4 & 5 (8:09 and 7:29). These were a little bit of downhill, but I'll always play with gravity when she wants to play nice!

Bugs

Very nice run Lou.

Cold, Dark, Moose that can run you over, Forest Fires... Think you have to be tough to live in Alaska.

Bugs

Thanks, all.

Erika - do you know your max heart rate and resting heart rate?  Also what would 8:15 be for you?  I think just a bit faster than MP, right?  8:15 is just a bit slower than MP so HR would be about 155 if temps were ideal, but for me 170-180 is more like 10-15K pace.  My MHR was about 195 or so, but last time I measured was quite a while ago.

Ah, recovery...

3.2 miles, 29:20, 9:18/mi, AHR 132 (68% MHR)

theyapper

On the road again...

6+ miles this morning with 6 of them as a pace run.  It was very humid (100%) and I'm trying not to drip on the keyboard.

Shower time!

Paul

Kimmie

Sounds like an awesome run, Paul.  

Did some intervals last night... 600 repeats with a 200 jog to get back to the start.  I love intervals with my running group... so fun.  I did 9 of them with a warmup and cooldown.  My legs felt tight for some reason.

Tomorrow is 18 planned...  I'm wondering if I can hang with these guys that are faster than me... probably shouldn't even try.   The risk is, I run 8 miles or so at their faster pace and then I can't finish the whole 18.  We'll see what happens.

Easy 6 planned for today.

evanflein

Kimmie, that would be my concern. I have to really watch feeling good at the beginning because I've crashed on more long runs than I care to think of this past year. Last weekend I really focused on staying relaxed and going easy on the uphills, not too fast on the downhills and it really helped. My average pace wasn't all that much slower, but I was able to finish in much better shape than the week before. (doesn't always work, but seems to help)

Lou, I haven't had my max HR measured, but I'm sure it's pretty high. And 8:15 pace is faster than MP for now. My PR marathon pace was 8:21, and I really don't expect to see that again. My resting HR is mid to upper 40's (again, haven't measured it for awhile). One thing I know is important is recovery. I usually can get my HR from way up there (170's) down to the upper 50's in very short order. It's when I can't get it to recover that I know my run is done. Dehydration plays a big role in that...

Bugs, persistance and stubbornness probably count for more than toughness.

I have a run like Lou's planned for lunchtime.

Bugs

IE 6 sucks. Screen is a mess. Sad

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Finished the week off with an 11 mile run.  Took water breaks every 2 miles and ran a very easy pace.  I'm starting to feel the first hints of some discomfort in my right knee and left foot.  I'm not too alarmed and am doing tons of stretching and foam rolling.

My HR stayed at a good level for most of the run and I ended with an AHR of 149.  My MHR is 215 so I was pleased, although it was creeping up some on the hills in the last few miles.  At the end of my run I realized that doubling my distance still didn't get me to marathon distance and I felt even more tired.    I've just got to trust the process and my body.

I'm headed to Columbia, SC, to preach tomorrow.  We'll spend the night tonight with my wife's folks and celebrate my FIL's birthday.  With any luck, there will be boiled peanuts involved.

Have a great week-end everyone.

Paul

We were just in charleston -- have a great time!

Much earlier -- 5.1 miles, 45:06, 8:55/mi, AHR 150 (77% MHR)

I took a video of myself running because I was curious about my form.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to render it with adobe premier elements.  Maybe I'll post it if it's not too big.

Kimmie

Great run Paul... yes, keep trusting in the process.

Lou- very cool that you videotaped your running... I don't know if I would want to do that.  I don't think I want to know.

Ran 18 miles this morning in 2:39-  8:50 pace... was able to stay with the faster people, which was good.  I do feel a little wiped out though.

Have a good one all.

It kinda gets grainy when you upload to youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkIx_crjqdk

Cashmason

Kimmie, that is a fantastic pace for 18 miles.

I am missing something... boiled peanuts?  I have never heard of that.    What.. does it wind up like peanut butter?

Happy Camper

Nice run on the trail this morning to finish out a nice week.  Love the weather.  Mileage for the week just over 70 with no leg issues.  I'm still reluctant to try a 3-hour run.  Think I'll hold off until mid-August to try that with all I have upcoming. 

Cash:  Boiled peanuts done right are salty and a little spicy.  Don't see them around here.  More towards the Southeast.  Georgia through the Carolinas.  You need fresh raw peanuts.  Boiled in water with salt and spices for hours.   They are different if  you're used to dry roasted. 

Shan:  Great to hear from you!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.