Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/31 (Read 238 times)

Happy Camper

Funny Pam! I wish it was Friday, I feel like it's been a work week already. 

Funny story about the Heart of America's beginning by the guy who started the race 50 years ago to settle a bet.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/sep/02/marathon-keeps-pace-after-50-years/

Five entrys. Two weight lifters, a race walker and two track runners from MU.  I loved the part about the race walker  who gave up at mile 18 and hitchhiked back.  Diffent attitude about running and racing in 1960.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

That is a funny story! Thanks for sharing the link Pace!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Pam!! Those look like my cabinets! I would post a picture of mine but mine is a disaster so I won't. Pam's looks set up for a magazine shoot or something! Wow.

Nice run, Bugs! You too Pam, you overachiever. I'll have to read Bryan's link later.

I dropped off my car with DH and ran home from his office. Took the hilly route. Oy. My legs are definitely not recovered from last week's workouts. 9.1 miles, 8:43 avg pace. Mile 8 was a hellacious hill that I had to take 5 x 30 second walk breaks to get to the turnoff to my road (and more uphill). That's my last longer mid-week run before the 19th. Good thing, too. Getting hard to fit those in after work with school, cross-country, soccer tryouts and all that stuff going on.

Are we still locking down tomorrow? Who's doing it? I can, just need to know when.

Oh Mighty Wing

Sweet! Erika that would be awesome!!!!
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Posting quick before lockdown Smile

My trip got delayed so I slept in a bit more than planned, and am going out for a short run now -- it looks lovely outside, with some ambient light in the sky already.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hey all...

Ava Elizabeth took her time yesterday. She tried to push her way out, but ultimately they did a C-section after 14 hours of laber. Everyone is doing great. Anyone who is a facebook friend, feel free to post a picture in here. She arrived at 8:02 pm 8 lbs, 5 ounces. 22" long.

Oh Mighty Wing

YEAH!!!!! Congrats Murphy!!!!

MTA: my mini-life story - at least the last week...

i'm exhausted. I've changed my eating back to what it was before the summer - with all the traveling I became very lax and ate almost whatever I felt like. After I got home from Wyoming (2 weeks ago) I went back to the strict diet. So far so good, and I should be coming out of the other side of the processed sugar withdrawl which will be nice. I've also run more consistently - not more as last week was 38 and this week will end up in the mid-40's, but only 1 day a week off. That is also an adjustment as with the racing/traveling I was only getting about 4 days of running (including the race). And I went back to school - meetings last week which wasn't so bad, but the kids are back this week and let me tell you it takes more energy then I remembered and is reeking havoc on my eating as I try to figure out when/how much I need to eat. And I have a creepy neighbor, yesterday i went and talked to management and they are trying to get me into a different apartment. Hopefully they can make that happen for me... we'll see... So with all of that going on I'm tired...

Happy Camper

Congratulations Murph and Ava Elizbeth is a very cool name!

JF:  I've noticed my energy level is more consistant when I avoid sugar and things that metabolize into sugar very quickly.  Since that high blood sugar reading I've tried to limit bread and limit the grains I eat.  Of course I had my fill of cake the past weekend celebrating anniversaries and I'm just getting past that.  I imagine the diet thing will become like the running thing which will be something I  do everyday instead of the brief periods of motivated effort I've given it in the past.  My weight is down to 178lbs now.  A good 7 lbs less than last year when I ran the HOA. 

Took it easy for a recovery run this morning.  I had some tightness in the upper right leg which I attribute to taper.  It worked its way out by the end of the 6-miles.  I averaged 10:13 minute miles and kept the HR average at 131 bpm.  54o didn't hurt either. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

wow Shan... sorry about the creepy neighbor...   You take care of yourself.

As a former teacher, I remember how much energy those kids take.   And speaking of teaching, I am no longer going to be a personal trainer and will now focus solely on getting back into teaching.  I'm going to take this year as a substitute teacher and figure out what the state of VA. wants me to do to get certified here.  So, yay, for a different job but I will miss training too.  I could try to do both, but I feel like that might be too much.

Congrats Murphy!!!  She is beautiful!!!  Smile

Already an ultra marathoner, with 14 hours of work!   Glad everyone is healthy and doing well.

I ran last night- just 5 miles.  Felt awesome.

Oh Mighty Wing

pace - i've noticed the same thing - or at least there isn't the spiking that goes on with sugar. it's funny after 2 weeks of no sugar i really don't want sweets anymore. Down 7 is great!!! And your run sounds like it went well! I bet you will do great at HOA. I have a ton of friends going out and am very sad to not be joining everyone!

MTA: Kimmie - good luck with all those changes!!!

CONGRATS PAPA Murphy!!! LOVE the name Ava!

Have a safe trip Perry!

Good to hear the management at your apartments are working with the problem Shan! BTDT with the creepy neighbor and it SUCKS!  As far as the diet change, you are a better woman than I. I'm not sure I can get away from my frozen cokes (was fine without them for 40 years lol)

You are gonna ROCK Pace! 

Good luck with the job change Kimmie!! I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up lol

Thanks Erika!  Way to get that run in despite tired legs!

Still can't believe I screwed up on my days. Guess that's what happens when kids, nothing on schedule other than making it through each day. So I'll be doing my weight workout that I was SUPPOSED to do yesterday. Then taking kids to the pool. If I'm lucky the sun won't suck my energy out and I'll get in a nice 5-9 mile run tonight.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

yeah right now he's just creepy but i don't want to tempt it for too long. 2 days ago he was knocking on my door nor even a minute after I got home and the first words out of his mouth were "you haven't been around in a really long time" -- i couldn't sleep that night... right now i'm just trying not to stress too much over it - other wise my obsessive brain gets me really freaked out!!!

I figure if I could resist wine after that - I can resist wine and sugar on normal days easy!! haha

Funny that you got your days screwed up - I keep having to look at a calendar to make sure i know what day it is!!

evanflein

Can someone post a picture of Ava here? I don't use FaceBook. Congratulations, Murphy! That's wonderful news, she sounds a good size and healthy. Hope mom is ok after the 'section. Always a bummer when a planned regular birth ends up that way, but it gets you to the goal: a happy healthy baby!!

Good job on giving up the sugar and stuff. I pretty much gave up sweets a long time ago. Except chocolate, but it's gotta be good dark stuff. I figure if I'm going to splurge it'd better be worth it.

Planning an easy 5 mile RAL today, but my foot is sore these days, ever since Sunday's run. That doesn't bear well for the Ultra, but we'll see how it goes.

Oh Mighty Wing

oh no the foot is back??
                                C-sections SUCK!  I had one with the twins.  I knew what labor was like so in a  way I didn't feel like I gave birth. It made me really sad for awhile. Also my body was sooooooooooo pissed I swelled up like a big balloon afterwards and ran a low grade fever for months.

AKKKK@ hurt foot Erika!! Hope it feels better ASAP!