Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/3/10 (Read 177 times)

Hail to The Victors!

I've never heard of aqualons either, sure you didn't make that word up today?

I think I'm a duathlon kinda guy, I can't swim worth a crap.  We tried to do a intrasquad tri during the Hell weeks of Cross Country one summer, and I ran through the shallow end of the pool rather than try to swim it. :-)  Totally hopeless in the water, though I did learn how to sort of butterfly a few years ago.  Sort of. 

9 easy today, followed by 6 150 yard strides.  Feeling pretty good, except for some ITB action. 

Happy Camper

The only thing I truly understand about swimming and racing is you do the best you can aerobically and under control.  Try to sprint a short distance and go anerobic and you pay for it big time in the water.

I guess they're actually called aqathlons. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

ChesapeakeMan (a non-ironman-branded ironman on Maryland's Eastern Shore) calls their swim+bike option an aqua velo. A number of people did it last year (when I was there).

Rehoboth in Delaware actually has one race which is just swim (ocean) + run, and they do call that race an aquathon. I've never made that race, although it sounds great to me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cashmason

4 miles running on the treadmill after teaching cycle.

10 miles for the week.   That is more than some of my recent months.

Calves still feel ok.  Did feel the achillies just a touch during the run, but not afterwards.

Bugs

I'm having the post marathon let down thing.  Not sure what's next.  I THINK Steamtown is it.   But, still looking for the mojo to get going on training.   It feels like it's far away, still.

How about Grandmas? I'm riding up with my training partner and we're picking up two girls from the airport on the way.  We could take a van, make room for one more.

Bugs

4 good miles last night. Intentionally slow pace. Although I did pick it up to make mile 4 my fastest. Felt good. This weekend should be great for running. Temps dropping (85 today) to 60 degree highs over the weekend.

Just have a 6 miler and 3 miler scheduled. Depending on how I feel Sunday I may go long and easy.

Im also treadmill shopping. Mor for the dw than me. But that should help get some extra miles in.

Kimmie

How about Grandmas? I'm riding up with my training partner and we're picking up two girls from the airport on the way.  We could take a van, make room for one more.

Don't tempt me.  Smile  Actually, I looked at flights... nothing cheaper than $350.00 which is a little too much for us right now.  Sounds like a blast, though.  I will have to plan for it next year.

Hail to The Victors!

I'm not one of the girls, but don't tempt me either. The missus and i go to Europe the week after Grandmas (for two weeks), and I would actually kind of like to run it to be able to justify the downtime that the vacation will likely enforce on my running.   How bad is that?

evanflein

Jeremy, I'm the same way. I frequently go to a conference the week after Equinox. While the long plane flight isn't great for post-marathon stiffness, I like not worrying about getting my runs in while I'm there, just easy stuff in the hotel fitness centers is fine.

And I swim like crap, too. Never really got beyond a rudimentary breast stroke, but that works for me (usually). Would feel weird doing it in a tri, though. Need to work on freestyle, I guess.

Good for you on getting out there Murphy! I hope you can run long on Sunday if the weather is nice. And yes, having the treadmill will really help. It sure takes a lot of excuses away, that's for sure.

I ran 9.5 miles last night (ran home from work) with hills and headwind the whole way. It was a good run, but hard. Sort of felt like dragging a tire or something. Today is a really nice day, but I worked at home most of the day, now in to work for a few hours, then hit the gym before I go home. Soccer game at 8 tonight. Looks like a good weekend for running though (and cleaning the car!!).

Kimmie

So, Erika, if you run home from work, do you have to run back the next day because your car is there?

i always think it's cool when you can use running as transportation.  Smile   Seems to make more sense than running in a big circle.

Great 10 miler this morning with a friend.  I say, great, because of the company, but my legs and back just feel stiff.  I wonder why... probably not enough stretching lately.   Who knows.  I do know that I haven't gotten enough sleep this week.

Debating on a Mother's Day 5K in the morning.  DH and I are going out tonight to a wedding, dancing, reception, etc... so I may just not feel like going to a race in the morning.  But it IS only a 5K-  I should be able to swing that even with a late night.  It will most definitely be slow, no matter what.  It's a super hilly course, but it's only 4 miles from my house, so very tempting.

Bugs Re: Grandmas.... I've told you before that Grandma's is one of my favorites.  I wish it was on another weekend, though.  The last day of school for the girls in 6/18, which means parties, etc....   And, for some reason, it's not cheap to fly to MN.   You guys will have a blast.

Cashmason

Kimmie,

If you do the 5k,   love to hear how it comes out.    And I bet  lots of people will think your time is fast.

Erika,   in triathons, they call it free style because you are free to use any style you want,  including breast stroke.

Most people chose the crawl because it  saves the legs,  so your legs are fresher for the run.  Plus an efficient crawl is the fastest way to swim.    However,  a decent breast stroke is faster than  an inefficient crawl.

I have seen some people actually dog paddle the swim, because that is what they could do.

And you will see beach cruisers and mountain bikes at triathlons.    They are not as fast as  Bugs bike,  but if that is what they have in garage,  it works.

Plus you would kick ass on the run.   Nothing like catching up to and passing people on the run,  that  were faster than you in the water.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm likely to use a hybrid bike at a local tri next month. (But I'll be doing freestyle and hopefully flipturns on the swim part.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

The thing that scares me about TRIs is the good ones have a very muscular body, which I don't have. Something about the way I swim over works my calves, can't risk that now, so I've been lifting weights like a mad woman, mostly upper body. I've went from pencils to nice toned pipes, but I'm probably the only one that would notice but I'm glad I've done the work. I wonder if pros like Deena Kastor and Paula Radcliff do upper body work. Their arms sure look like they do.

Lou,

Did you register for Twin Cities? I can't believe they did not fill yet. Both it and Grandmas use to sell out right away. Anybody elses marathons not filling like they use to?

Murphy,

Glad to see you running. Running can become a habit and after time when people ask "why the hell do you do it?" you won't be able to answer, you just do it. I also recommend the treadmill. Mine is a Life Fitness, one of their cheaper models, although if I could buy another I would have bought a step up. Just the more expensive ones have more running programs on them and I use them more than I thought I would.

Kim,

It would be so perfect this year because we're doing it as a girls trip and already going through the airport. Most years it is a couples weekend. (Our guys like to drink beer in the 90 degree heat and watch runners sweat it out on the course)  However trying to pull this off on Father's day weekend is not easy., so I get that.  We've got a dirt cheap hotel room ($100/night) and would make room for you. (Sorry Jeremy, no boys allowed in hotel, can't make the same deal, but would love it if you came too)

Jeremy,

You still thinking about Mankato? They are going to limit to 2000 runners, but so far there is plenty of room. You might want to book a hotel room though just in case, although so far my guest room is still empty.

Ran 10 miles at 8:38 pace yesterday. Felt good. Going to run 20 with a goal of 9:30 pace tomorrow. Long runs have been too fast, and shorter runs not fast enough. This will be my third Grandmas and so far looks like the best training as long I can get to the start line without an injury layoff.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Jeremy,

You still thinking about Mankato? They are going to limit to 2000 runners, but so far there is plenty of room. You might want to book a hotel room though just in case, although so far my guest room is still empty.

Hmm, good call on the hotel room.  Yeah, I'm still thinking about it.  I probably won't make a decision about it until the week of the fourth July, though, after we get back from our trip.  I am leaning toward it, I have it in my mind to take a shot at sub 3:08, the course looks pretty friendly to a PR. I also don't want to wait til Boston 2011 to try it.   If work between now and July gets pretty busy, then probably not.  If work stays constant, then I think I'll go for it.

Lou,

Did you register for Twin Cities? 

Actually we're probably not going to run that -- we are registered for marine corps (VA) on Oct 31 and are thinking about freedom run (WV) on Oct 3 -- this last one is in the grand prix for our running club.

You'll do just fine in your tri, by the way -- you're in pretty good shape now.  (I'm envious of your bike Smile )

What else?  Kimmie's 5K after dancing -- I agree with cash -- a lot of people will think it's fast even tho you'll be running after a short night's sleep.

NJ Pictures? http://picasaweb.google.com/WillRunForBeer/AmandaAndNJ20100508

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com