Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/24 - 3/30 (Read 236 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

O yea, 5 miles outside today! I'm going to gradually transition to outdoor running over the next two weeks. I don't want to just jump ship regardless of the weather. It is quite a bit different and just feel that I should ease into it.
    evanflein

Good idea, MrI. That's also why pretty much all winter I made sure to get at least one run, preferably the long run on Sunday, done outside. Gotta keep those outside running legs in tune! Bugs, lots of good info. You'll really need to figure out how to proceed, but be sure to discuss your concerns with your doctor(s). Sometimes they just treat the condition, and you need to make sure they understand the person involved (YOU). I did take a peek at your log. I've got a question... how do you add those medical events with the red crosses? And how do you add the runs/workouts in the boxes? Mine just all go in as text links to the log, they all look the same. Will get in some easy miles tonight, just 6 or so. I've been overdoing the tempo/faster pace runs and need to sloooow it down a bit.

Bugs

Would it make a difference to you if you took the meds and nobody (even us) knew about it?
        I don't know. I don't tell people, people can be cruel. When I hear people talk about anti-depressents their opinon is very clear. Maybe I could change my thinking to "I tried it without them, I didn't like how I felt" and blow off what everyone else things. I'd have to convince myself first.
        Like others said, if you took running out of the equation, would that affect your decision?
        I will say this, based on how I feel now, if I was faster without the drugs, I would not take them. It's not an exact science, really hard to know if they make you "faster". Actually when I was on them wondering if I would get faster without them. When I was taking them, it such a suddle difference you don't feel different, other than obvious changes (no headache) and not getting sick as much I will swear by. A little easier to blow off stress, but mostly you feel 'normal'. Now I just feel like like I'm fighting one thing or another. With or without the SSRI I am addicted to exercise, it is my chocolate. LOL. The running race help keep me on a schedule. Trust this amount of exercise is nothing compared to what I am mentally capable of. I'm can be like one of those mice that won't get off their dam exercise wheel. LOL! Saltzer says in the book he did not know he was depressed at the time. He took them to get out of his running slump. Is that cheating? People really gave him a hard time for it. Sad
        If you're taking it for headaches, does that actually lump you in with the folks taking it for depression?
        Yes, sigh, I think it does. {{sigh}} Strong history of depression in family, and that you are your mother outlook pisses me off too. LOL!
        When you've talked with your docs, what has their input been?
        I saw a nurse practioner this week for bronchitis and didn't get into details but said, "I have one problem after another since weaning myself off of them." She asked, "How are you mentally?" I said, "I'm pist. I should be running FEELING good and I'm not. Tired of all these problems." Don't take them. Same day I saw graston doctor, (really good guy), and told him my theory, of why I seem to have always something to 'get over', yes he thinks I should take them. Think I got a little extra graston because we talked for awhile. Actually kind of a relief when he said he thought I should take the SSRIs. I see DocC3 on Monday, not sure what he'll say, but trying to sort out my thoughts before then.

Bugs

Bugs

Inertia, Wise move, lots of people get shin splints in that transition. Erika, Add a health note. When you look a log a year back it's nice to know why you took a few extra rest days. Also nice to have an excuse for running slower, can add in the description of the run, but the + on the calendar makes it obvious. That Erik is awesome. This is funny... Today ran a nice 6 mile run, no watch as it was dead, found a wrapped snickers bar, trying to dare one of the new interns to eat.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I hope you weren't offended. I just wanted to mention it, but it was early and when i left for work I was like... hmm i probably didn't put that like i meant to... But glad to hear you are eating well. I agree you should be able to do something the other day. What I was trying to ask about was if you were doing too much while you were sick and if that could be causing the continual sickness? Once again i'm sorry if i offended you.

Beer Drinker

bugs you have a lot going on...best of luck. why not try em again and see if they help, then get off em again and see what happens? screw what other people think... i managed an easy 6 last night after taking my son to chuck e cheese and baskin robins for his 2nd birthday. ive been going to PT for this hip injury, they are grinding away at me with the graston technique, and man, its feeling so much better! i did longs of 16, 20, and 22 with almost no pain in the last 4 weeks. saturday is a big day, training run for the PCT 50. the scheduled run is 22 but i am going to try and get as close to 30 as i can.
              Start off easy, then slow down.

Bugs

shan, no you didn't offend me. And maybe it's just a bad run of luck, but when the tension headache came back three weeks ago, first I thought I had a cold, but then I kind of knew. I really don't know if one thing has anything to do with the other. Funny the headache goes away while running. Don't you think they also told Alberto that 5:00 min miles was still very fast, or that he had just aged those 12 years? salad, isn't graston a miracle treatment? Man, I don't know if I can live without it. Glad you're getting quality miles in. Happy Birthday to your son. Didn't realize your kids were so young. BTW, the SSRIs take a long time to wean..it's hard, oddly docs give them out like candy. DH started working out this week, tomorrow I got all his co-workers to say, "You look great. Have you been working out?"

Bugs

Bugs

Found this on Runner's World and made me feel better: Antidepressants are a very commonly prescribed class of medication. Many athletes at all levels of ability take antidepressants. The effect on performance is typically dependent on the side effects that the medication has on the individual athlete. Some feel that the medication enhances performance, some feel that it impairs performance, and others don’t notice any difference in performance. Alberto Salazar won an ultramarathon in South Africa (Comrades) while taking Prozac. There were many anecdotal reports on antidepressant use by runners and the results are quite varied. The best method seems to be trial and error. When medications are changed, it may take several weeks before effects of the new drug are known.

Bugs

Cashmason

Bugs, If the drug improves the quality of your life take it. I don't think it making you faster has anything to do with it. It has to do with how you feel every day. If anyone asks, tell them its a vitamin. Your husband, your kids and we, want you feeling good and looking forward to life. Not dreading a headache that may come at supper time, and feeling run down and sick all the time. Weights, spin class and the fishbowl for me tonight. I huff and puff after 100 slow yards in the pool than I do for a 6 mile tempo run. 1 kilometer and I think I swallowed a third of the water in the pool. Oh and a little bike ride earlier too. I hope you appreciate the stuff I do for VRAA points Erika.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - certainly doesn't sound like a bad run of luck. hmm was reading around the internet and found two things i thought were interesting. 1)some researchers believe that low carb diets are linked with low serotonin levels and 2) running stimulates serotonin and endorphine. Since the medicine you were on helps keep seratonin flowing forward which causes the production of more serotonin it is no wonder that the running takes away the headache. Also in the winter we naturally produce less serotonin because we experience less sun. So i wonder if it is a compounding of elements and natural unbalance... regardless if the medicine will make your everyday life better it is certainly worth considering them! Salad - wow sounds like you are doing great! Cash - drinking from a fishbowl is a good thing if out at a bar... not so good when in a pool! you are supposed to leave some for the others! Tongue

Bugs

Team I is awesome!

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Long run - 6 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Running a corner did not feel super, but other than that NO PAIN NO NUMBNESS!!!

Bugs

Great job Shan. Rest day for me. A little upper body work for my tooth pick arms.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

6.25 wonderful outdoor miles. Point to point, mostly a gentle downhill run that ended at the Y for a swim with the fam.

Oh Mighty Wing

Rest day for me. A little upper body work for my tooth pick arms.
                                Bugs - I got some arms to give you, but I don't think it's the kind you want! hehe I can't seem to get mine skinner or more toned... how about we trade for a day! Tongue Mr. I - wow you make that sound soo relaxing and wonderful!