Marathon Trainers

Week of 2-16 (Read 333 times)

Cashmason

Lou - those are some very solid runs. When you tempo longer than 20 minutes, do you adjust your pace a little? Daniels recommends it, but he's the only one I've seen do so. It's official - after my 5k this past week it was the best recovery I've ever had. I did an 8 miler on Monday and some cruise intervals yesterday and today I just ran easy for 9 songs for a recovery. I'm starting to add short easy runs where I used to take the day off. I'm really excited about training now.
    Nicely done Mr. I. !
    Cashmason

Kimmie, McMillan's running calculator, says on a similar course and similar weather you would run a 1:49. I just ran a 1:46 on a flat course in perfect weather. I wont admit it, but you are a better runner than I am. If the course is flat and the weather is good, you will come in much better than 1 46. Cash
      Kimmie

Cash, you are a brilliant man.

Dave

6 on the treadmill at an easy pace. Unfortunately, I think I'm coming down with a cold and my HR was slightly elevated even at a fairly slow pace (150-152 for most of it). Sounds like you're really starting to hit that sweet training spot, MrI. When is your next goal race? (too lazy to check).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Pushups followed by 6-miles followed by burpees. (sans pushup in the burpees) This crossfit crap is starting to take over the workout. Run was in 59:47, 9:54mm avg pace, 136bpm avg HR. Just over 60% of HRR for me. Since several of us will be running 1/2's or Fulls on 3/21 we could posts prior times, goals and results in another thread maybe? My PR for 1/2 is 1:48:19 ran in 2007. The last 1/2 I ran was in October of 2008 and I finished in 1:54:26. I ran Sedalia last year in 1:51:09. I would like to get under 1:50 this year and flirt with a PR. As for running programs, I seem to have quit following them. If something ever works for me, I hope I remember what it was I did. Big grin

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Hey All.... First, Shan...WTF got into you?!?!? Wow, thats some big time mileage. Good work!! Got off my butt and ran today (2 miles). Been a rough month. I could make excuses...but it was more of the typical pattern. Once I miss a few days--I just lose motivation. Now ive gained some weight, got to the point where I feel real lazy, and am starting back on the running path again. Also Ive been eating horribly. So, Im gonna try to get on a good streak for the next month so that I can be on track for a respectable Flying Pig. Im re-thinking the National. Going to talk it over with the wife. I would likely drive up Friday. May need someone to get my packet for me. Getting those email reminders is making me want to give it a shot. But, no chance Im keeping up with Shan. Busy times at work--really good stuff though. Got a large amount of business..so it will be busy..which is good with today's economy.

Oh Mighty Wing

DO IT MURPHY!!!!!! Smile and I don't know that I can keep up with my original goal - I had some good mileage but it was all slow. And I hope to get back to that mileage this week. The last 2 low weeks had NOTHING to do with my body not holding up.
                Cashmason

Shan, I have had several PR off nothing but slow, low heart rate training. My theory is that running at different speeds, produces different changes in your body. Slower running, builds up tissue strength and mitochondria in your muscles, which allows the muscles to process oxygen from your blood better. Faster running will raise your VO2 max and teach your feet to run faster. For me the limiter had been muscles getting tired the last third of the race, or IT band failure. The slower running improved those weaknesses, and allowed me to race much faster.
                    I'd be great to see you at National, Murphy! It's very good that work is busy -- that is definitely a concern these days. 3.1 recovery miles, 29:35, 9:35/mi, AHR 127 (64% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

HI Murphy Smile Sorry this month has been rough. Hope you run National! Nice recovery run Lou Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

so it's official i've gone off the deep end. Here is my racing plan for march/april. 3/21 - half 3/28, 4/4, and 4/11 - full. All are paid for. WHOSE EXCITED!!!!!!!!!
                          Didn't feel like doing my interval workout today, however I did! Sucked that dh wasn't there to run them with me. It really helps motivate me. I had many thoughts about how nice it would be to have a coach there yelling out pace etc. I really need to work on focus and I'm sure that this being my first 400 solo interval workout might have had something to do with not being able to focus. Anyway my goal was to start out at a 7 minute mile pace and work down and to get more 400's than last week with dh. Ended up doing 10x400's at an average of 6:48 pace. Like last week recovery time was same amount of time that last interval was done.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well YOU DON"T sound excited Tongue

Oh Mighty Wing

Pam - I was thinking about you and focus just this weekend on my long run. I'm glad you had to do them by yourself because I think it will help you find your racing mentality. You know that place where you see/hear/are aware of nothing around you... I think when you find that place where you can block everything else out you will see amazing things happening race wise... so maybe intervals will be a place that is good practice for that aspect.
                              evanflein

So, Shan, what are these upcoming races you've signed up and paid for? I guess I'll check the upcoming races thread... We have a winter storm warning in effect now. Snow started later than predicted, but it's coming down hard and heavy now. We could get 8-10" before this is done. The good thing about this dump, vs the little 1-2" we've been getting at a time, is it cannot be ignored. Plows will have to be out on Friday and Saturday so hopefully I'll be saved from the treadmill this weekend... Late post of last night's run: 10 miles total in 1:24 on the nose (I don't know how I do that). It was like two workouts... First one was 5 miles pretty easy (2 @ 8:49, 3 @ 8:34), then a water break and a run upstairs to remind DS1 to go get his brother from b'ball practice (so I could finish my run!). Then back to do my repeats: 4 x .75 mile @ 7:42 pace with .25 recoveries @ 8:49, then the last mile at 8:49 for a total of 10 miles. My treadmill doesn't do meters, so .75 mile is as close to 1200m as I'm going to get, and good enuf for me. My musical accompaniment was AAmix2 for the first half, and Solarmix 2 for the second half. Seemed appropriate. (Lou and Cash know what these are, for you other guys, they're playlists created by some masters runners who post mainly on KickRunners. AAmix2 is mostly light easy stuff with a good happy peppy beat, nothing heavy. Solarmix2 is over an hour of hard, angry rock well suited to tempo runs and intervals... Smile )