Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/13 - 7 days of Boston Taper Madness (Read 344 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Jeremy, for the FB link. Worked like a charm. Finished up the week with a tick over 10 to top my week out just over 35 miles. That's the highest total since I started running. Shan, praying for you and hoping your not too bad off. It sounds frustrating, though. Good runs, everyone.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Shan - sorry to hear. Hope it isn't bad. Lou

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

theyapper66, Good job on the increased miles. You will have a very strong fall marathon. Shan, Thinking about you, hoping we can offer some support. Don't beat yourself up dear. We've all been there, you've just got more metals to show for it. Bugs is very sore today. I will run but not much. I could maybe hit 60 miles this week but I think I'd better better if I ran 30 minutes, and spent 60 minutes in a pool. Running with tight calves is hard on the feet and achilles, today is about recovery. No metals for mpw so I'll train smart today.

Bugs

Dave

Shan, what Bugs said. No judgement here. Only support. Improvement is a process that never goes in a straight line. Bugs, take your own advice and heal up. I ran too hard yesterday (again) and just couldn't get myself out the door for my long run this morning. I'll try again this afternoon and hopefully get in 10 before the rain starts. I'll only hit 35 this week (maybe) and I'm sure it will be fine. Fantastic mileage, Paul. Might want to hold there or even back off for a couple of weeks for your body to adjust. Still undecided on a May marathon. Of the two, I think NJ seems like a better fit (less hills).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Be kinda neat if you could configure a slow pace and have a graph of week slowness with some kind of color indicator -- so, I could watch and it would be greener if I run enough 9:00+ pace miles, and it turns red if I run too many under that -- as a feedback to give me a visual reward for keeping miles slower -- because I like the graphs Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Dave, I'm currently laying on the floor and having a hard time getting myself to move around the house; I'm feeling that lazy today. The pool will feel good though. Nobby sent me this: I was at a bar today with a bunch of Boston local runners as well as some others like Steve Jones (former world record holder in the marathon). I was talking to Bob Hodge, who finished 3rd behind Rodgers and Seko in 1979. He was talking about the importance of recovery. Hard training is for hard training; when you are supposed to do a hard training (like 3-hour run). He said about this local guy who always beat him in training. But then he would beat this guy by 2~3 minutes in 10k race. "This guy just trains hard all the time...!" There's a time to run hard; there's a time to go easy. Sounds like you ran well today. Remember how it went leading up to today's 3-hour run. You basically took a whole week easy with an hour jog... Do you think you've lost fitness by taking it easy? ;o) BTW, the week of easy jogs, was still 50 miles of easy running. But 50 miles with doubles is different than 50 miles with five days of running. His rule of thumb is easy is always 60 minutes or less.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Andrew Jackson = DNF. the pain changed - foot is now slightly swollen and bruised. Will call Dr. on monday. Stupid trail marathons.... NEVER AGAIN...
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Here's a test I just invented to see if you're a smart runner: - Do you go easy on easy and recovery days? - Do you take a day off when appropriate? - Do you go see a doctor when something might be wrong? I don't score so well myself I'm afraid Sad

Oh Mighty Wing

Here's a test I just invented to see if you're a smart runner: - Do you go easy on easy and recovery days? - Do you take a day off when appropriate? - Do you go see a doctor when something might be wrong? I don't score so well myself I'm afraid Sad
                    yes to all of the above. The Dr. blessed me to race...
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Let the doctor run the next trail marathon instead of you Smile

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Sorry to hear about your injury Shan. It's been a real treat watching you tear up the mileage. Rest, heal and take care of yourself. I just finished a solid week with most of an interval session (achiles is bothering me), an M paced med/long run and a long run just under 21 miles. Next week's mileage will be a bit lower but I'm racing a 10 miler and am going to hammer it into oblivion. This is really hard. I'm just trying to hold on for a few more weeks until taper time.

Happy Camper

Andrew Jackson = DNF. the pain changed - foot is now slightly swollen and bruised. Will call Dr. on monday. Stupid trail marathons.... NEVER AGAIN...
                          Trails are too much fun to say never again. Just have to run them for what they are, beautiful course and the experience. Run them for times or PR's and evil things can happen. 14 miles at Rock Bridge Park. Rain, rain and more rain with rocks, roots and lots of slick mud. MTA: Total run miles rolled over 10,000 with today's run. Smile

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Should we add "-Do you take an easy day for every mile raced?"

Bugs

Should we add "-Do you take an easy day for every mile raced?"
                              OMG that reminds me. I think I took off close to 6 weeks COMPLETELY off after my first marathon. Can't remember where I read taking a certain amount of days off for each mile raced. NEVER again! as for me I listen to my body and so far *knock on wood* it seems to be doing well for me. I'm sure I could run slower (did that last year) however I have a feeling that that I'm running how I should it's just that I HAVEN"T raced as fast as I could have. Gotta get over that mental barrier that got put up after racing my first HM (dh was my bunny)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trails are too much fun to say never again. Just have to run them for what they are, beautiful course and the experience. Run them for times or PR's and evil things can happen. 14 miles at Rock Bridge Park. Rain, rain and more rain with rocks, roots and lots of slick mud. MTA: Total run miles rolled over 10,000 with today's run. Smile
                                DITTO THIS Sounds like a fun time in a sick kind of way. CONGRATS on the total run milage!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson