Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/7/2010 (Read 207 times)

Cashmason

Pam and Erika don't look old enough to have 18 year old kids.
    evanflein

Suck up

It's all about working on the mental fortitude Perry and believe me I need to do A LOT of work on that aspect. Will really come in handy when I run my next 100 miler (which I would REALLY like to race).

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my son. BTW Cash my oldest will be 21 this year *sigh*

Nice run Kimmie!!

Dang Lou I am VERY impressed at how you can get up WAY before the crack of dawn and get out and run!

I actually got really hungry for breakfast this morning. Kind of surprised me out of the blue. It came on so fast I didn't have time to make pancakes so I through some waffles into the toaster and cooked an egg and some sausage. Oh it felt good to have a really good breakfast for a change.Guess I'm close to 100% better. I really  needed the calories t since I had 10 miles on the agenda. Only thing that made me worry about how many miles I was going to get in was this blister I got on Sundays run (WRONG shoes to wear). Thankfully half way through the run it wasn't bothering me so much. Oh and my legs felt very fresh today. WHAT"S up with that?? Ended up with 12 miles and change. I'll probably take tomorrow off. My plan is 5 days this week since I'm looking to run LONG and HILLY on Sunday. Gotta give this blister time to heal before then.

HAPPY HUMP DAY!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Pam and Erika don't look old enough to have 18 year old kids.

I don't feel old enough to have an 18 year old let alone a 19 year and a 20 year old

evanflein

Good luck with the blister, Pam. I hate blisters. I had one almost as big as the sole of my entire foot near the end of the Rock-n-Roll Seattle race last June. It was from the metatarsal pad I had taped into my shoe... I think that was the real beginning of me not needing that thing anymore, and after that horrible blister I started putting the pad UNDER the insole. Duh. Such a simple thing. I also now spray the bottoms of my feet and toes with "nu skin" and haven't had a blister since.

Quick gym workout at lunch, just because DH wanted to go. Anytime he wants to go do that I'm all for it! Still planning on a RAW and I think the bike paths are calling me already! I'm liking this cutback week, even though I haven't cutback much yet. So much of it really is mental. And I don't have that 10/20 combination staring me down for the weekend, either. I think that's the biggest difference. I'll do 6-8 hilly miles tonight (instead of 10-11 in a "big" week) which should be just right since my butt is sore from doing lunges yesterday.

Happy Camper

(sigh)  Watching the dark clouds and lightning.  Looks like no track night for me.  It was 70 here today and I was looking forward to making it out for the first time this season.  Wednesday nights have been cursed for  whatever reason.  Did the morning 10k route.  I'll be running a 5k on Saturday.  I got my scan results in the mail today for the study.  My hips are normal, it's my spine that's Osteopenia.  BMI and Body Fat Percentage are stupid high. (yes I am overweight by both measures  ) No wonder my times are slower.  Always something to work on.  I was placed in the weight training group.  I am being familiarized this week.  I will be doing squats, military press, dead lifts, rows, lunges, calf raises and a brief amount of ab lifts and low back raises twice a week.  The  intensity will follow a 6 week cycle with rest on the 7th.  The nutrition department sort of gets who they are dealing with.  They told me up front that there will be times when I will need to take 2 days off  from  running for their study and asked if I could handle it. 

Ditto on the "looks like a sister of an18 year old than a mother of an 18 year old." 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

Suck up

First response is to laugh..   

Second response....  You wish.

Cashmason

I think Lou and PDR go to bed at 7 pm.........  wink

Happy Camper

Good night all!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dang Lou I am VERY impressed at how you can get up WAY before the crack of dawn and get out and run!

I'm not so impressed this morning.  Just a little ... tired.  7pm -- hardly, but we do try to get to sleep by 9:30.  There was an article Harriet was reading to me -- in the paper?  In runner's world?  About getting less than 7 hours sleep a night means you're sleep deprived: it's official.

Yeah, 18, 19 and 20 year old kids -- they definitely don't look old enough

MTA post run:

I was tired of starting to feel like 9 min/mi is the new "normal", so I ran a little faster the last couple of miles.  So far, so good -- we will see how I feel tomorrow.

9.1 miles, 1:19:21, 8:42/mi, AHR 148 (72% MHR)

1 - 9:08(136)

2 - 8:55(142)

3 - 9:05(140)

4 - 8:56(145)

5 - 8:51(147)

6 - 8:51(145)

7 - 8:48(148)

8 - 8:07(150)

9 - 7:41(167)

10 - 0:59(168) [0.13=7:37]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

I'll catch up later but wanted to let everyone know I'm back from overseas.

Actually ran a half marathon in Kandahar, Afghanistan last week.  It was an extension of the Marin County Marathon and they provided shirts and everything.  Should have some pictures next week.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Dave, welcome back and cool to run that race! Can't wait for pictures...

Cash...

Nice run, Lou. Those last couple of miles are great!

I try to get to bed by 11, but usually don't make it. Midnight for sure. I'm up at 5:45 to be at work by 7:30 or so. Feel chronically sleep deprived, but just can't get anything done at home in less time, it seems. And there's always so much left un-done, it's depressing. I'm off tomorrow (go figure, it's our Spring Break... sure doesn't look like it outside to me!) and have a "to do" list a mile long, as usual. Not running tomorrow though so maybe I'll actually get some of it done. I'm always in awe of how much PDR accomplishes before she goes to work...

I did get outside after work yesterday and ran 7.5 miles of hills. While it wasn't "easy" it was a really good run, even with temps a little colder than I was expecting when I packed my bag in the morning. Hoping for another RAW today, but from home this time. The bikepath looked really nice and clear yesterday so I hope we don't get much snow today as I'd like to run on that. If it's too cold/windy/snowy whatever, the TM is always the backup.

Bugs

Lou - Very good run. I need to restart my morning runs. We'll see if I can get out of bed without a partner.

Pam - Hope the blister is gone soon. I just had one, and I'm brutal, break it open and now it hard just hard skin and don't feel a thing.

Erika - Wow thought you'd still have snow on the trails. Glad you're running well.

Been sore this week. Weird weather, 40-50s but LOTS of rain. Have stayed inside because I was afraid the cold rain would run me down and then I'd get sick again. Just wasn't worth the risk. Off to run with running group...going to be a lame 3 miles..trying to get new runners to join..or should I say people who have been sitting on the couch and can't run more than 3 miles yet.

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, we still have all our snow. But the bike paths/sidewalks on and around the university campus are plowed really well so that's what I ran last night. Usually our bike path on our road is plowed, and that's the one that looked pretty good when I drove by last night. We've had snow today, but not much so I'm hoping it's still in good shape. There's always some snow (it's not swept clean) but getting the loose chunky and rutted stuff off and smoothing it out is nice.

Temps never got much above zero today... still planning an outdoor run but we'll see how I feel by the time I get home. Treadmill might beckon, but I'd really rather not.