Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/13 - 1/19 (Read 323 times)

Cashmason

1 hour lifting 1 hour spin 800 yards swimming.

Bugs

Murphy, You are part right. My first injury was I hurt the arches in my feet, that was done all running. Too many fast miles after building the base probably. My second injury was a combo of too might sit-ups that caused tight hip flexors. I'm glad I did all the XTing this winter though, think it is good to get some time off your feet during the off season. 3 very easy today. Suppose to be flippin cold this weekend. < 0 yikes. 0=""></ 0 yikes.>

Bugs

Cashmason

Woot first time under 180 pounds since my college days. Not bad for a 5'10" old guy.

Dave

Cash, 180 is awesome. I'd love to drop a few pounds but I seem to be gaining as my mileage increases. Maybe its because I'm eating everything in sight. I did a hard 10K today in temps near freezing. Not really a very consistent pace. I think it was just a bit fast for my training partner so it ended up being mile intervals with a minute or 2 slightly slower in between. Easy miles tomorrow.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

rest day today. Think i did too much weight last night. Ham's are sore today.
            Cashmason

Shan, I am right there with you. Hams are sore today from yesterday's workout. Dg, yep its really hard when your partner isn't quite the same speed as you are. Especially for tempo runs and intervals. For Intervals, I usually go to a school track, and that way I can run my pace, and my buddies can run theirs at their pace. And we are never more than 200 yards apart, and can cool down together and maybe go stink up a restaraunt. But usually we go home shower up and then meet at the restaraunt
              evanflein

Shan, you're doing great, you have a lot on your plate right now... give yourself a break! Bugs, you're doing ok? Sounds like your race went well, you've cross-trained the hell out of everything, I think you're ready to roll! MrInertia, you're like a rock... solid and steady. That knee thing is a temporary setback, but DO take care of it. Cash is a really good resource here... nothing like experience. And that leads me to Cash, my dear friend, who I still need to smack upside the head when I see him. Long ago (ok, this past fall) I figured out that the get-togethers were the best part of these races. Besides Indy, the only person I've wanted to meet more is you. I can't wait till Saturday night when I'll get to hug you right proper (and smack you, so watch out... I've been saving them up!). I've done so many marathons lately that the race itself has gotten to be secondary to the friends I meet. Bugs... you're next!!!! 5k tonight at 6F in perfect conditions. Did my hilly roads by my house, needed a hilly confidence booster before Carlsbad and this was just the ticket.
                Cashmason

Erika, I am way too cute to smack upside the head. Indy is fantastic and a sweetheart. The most enjoyable race I ever had was with her at Surf City last year when we ran together for 20 miles before she left me in her dust. Her husband is a nice guy too. If you are gonna give me a hug, do it the proper way, where my heart can feel yours, none of this lean in and the top of our shoulders touch. Did I mention that modesty is not one of my stong points? Cash

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash you are funny - I hate those hugs too. (if you are like our guy friends though we may not dislike them for the same reason Tongue) Erica - can you go reread your post and contemplate how crazy it is that you now talk about 26.2 miles like it's no big thing!!!!! That's SOO cool! Dve - I'm eating tons too!! Hungry all the time! Been trying to at least pick good choices - fruit and such. But after 2 pieces during the day all I want is carby goodness!!
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Cash - awesome info on the IT band - thanks a ton. Good job on the weight. TP is a bit faster than I am. We don't do all of our runs together, just about 60% of them. On standard training runs, we comprimise - I pick it up just a little and she eases up a bit. Tempos we run my pace. Groov - like the JD running plan. I think you might be the fastest person here so I'm just gonna model my training after yours. Did 6 miles this morning, 30-40 seconds faster than I had been running. Not a tempo, I logged it as a fartlek even though I had consistent pace throughout the run. It felt good to pick things up a bit. Training had been feeling quite flat as of late and, to be honest, I've been a bit bored. Next week starts targeted training so I'm looking forward to training with focus. Winter training has been harder than I expected. It didn't really bug me last year and it was a harsher winter than this year. Since I've been feeling a bit blah lately, the weather has been just enough to tip scales against running from time to time. Over the last month, I've consistently missed one run per week on an average.I'll need to nix that habit if I'm gonna do a spring marathon. IT band was an absolute non issue this morning. Looks like it was just one of those phantom things we get from time to time.

Bugs

ShanGen, OK, I was reminded today to becareful about the cabbage soup. That and a run empties you out. Blush Erika, Maybe there is a good half marathon I could meet up in Alaska. Rather spend my money on races than worry about the stock market. Do you have temp you will not run in? It has been about 0 here but runs have felt great, maybe even a little warm today. Suppose to be about -7 on Saturday with 17 mph wind. I have 9 scheduled. I'm tempted to stay inside, but am more conditioned for outside than the TM right now, and really need to keep on schedule. Inertia, Cash, I have never had ITBS, but inflamation of my posterior tibial tendon has been the core of all my injuries. Tendons are also so slow to heal also. One thing to try would be a home unit electronic stimulator. It is suppose to increased blood flow to the area. It costs about $100, bought it from my chiropractor. When something hurts I put it on it, not sure it would help for a chronic injury. The graston treatment made a big difference too, more $'s, more aggressive, painful, but they get deeper than the stim unit will. I am addicted to running clothes. I REALLY NEED this shirt don't you all agree?

Bugs

Bugs

GOOD LUCK ERIKA!!!!

Bugs

Dave

Absolutely!! Good luck Erika!! At least we can count on a race report unlike some people we know Wink Rest day for me today. Work acted up and we got some very wet and slushy snow.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

GOOD LUCK!!! Bugs - yes you need the shirt! (ok i might not be the best influence on this! And sorry to hear that the cabbage soup came to haunt you! So, i did not run today. It started snowing pretty bad. And while running in the snow does not bother me. Driving in the snow is another story. Actually it's other people driving in the snow. You see this is one of our first real snow's of the season. And you would think people have never seen it before. So I decided that instead of running and risking idiots I would come straight home from work. BTW my snow isn't just this nice powdery stuff. It's big wet heavy snow. (in case that makes a difference to any of you because it makes the whole situation different to me!) Glad I did too because on the way home I had to drive behind a person who wouldn't go over 20 and braked at every single side street. I did see an accident also. So, yes, I'm a wuss about weather. But I ease up after the first snow or two once others remember that they have driven in conditions like this before. Anyway, I will make sure to get a run in tomorrow. Do i need to do (or wear) anything special if I'm running through slush?
                              evanflein

Cool shirt, Bugs. I say go for it. My cut off is pretty much -20... and then only if it's light and sunny and pretty out. If it's dark and gross, I stay inside. But I do NOT do the wind thing in the winter. How to make things just totally miserable... Shan, that's the sort of snow that can be really hard to run in (and treacherous to drive in). We got 10" last night... forecast was for "flurries" and maybe 1-2". So much for that... Glad I got in my 5k hilly run last night, that felt great! Rest day today, but I need to go to the store and then work on some house cleanup and packing. And yes, I'll get a race report done... but probably not till after Tuesday. DH and I are spending some time after the race on Catalina Island, and I go to Vegas for a conference on Tuesday so maybe late Tuesday or Wednesday... k?