Marathon Trainers

10/13-10/20 (Read 248 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Brian - nice job keepin the bunny in your sights!! And yes I am! hehe So I'm in the weight room many afternoons supervising. But i can workout which is why i'm on a dreadmill for some runs. Anyway when I was done I popped over next door to the Trainers and borrowed one of their sticks to rub out my inner calf. I'm trying to keep it rolled out to keep it from getting as sore as it did last time. Trainer walks by and says "shin splints?" I smiled and said probably... when really what I was thinking was - no shit??? So I guess I have a shin splint? But it doesn't hurt while I run, but it's sore to the roll So who knows - all I know is that sticking it after a run keeps it from hurting!
    Cashmason

Bugs, how close are you to Eagan? One of my aquaintenances, Ryan is moving back to MN. His wife misses home, so wasnt liking Calif. He is 6'7" and used to play football for the Golden Gophers. He just turned 30. He is going to make Grandma's his first Marathon. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=39673# Off to teach cycle.

Bugs

Bugs, how close are you to Eagan?
        An easy drive of 75 miles away. There are many races in that area. You need to come and visit!

Bugs

evanflein

Oh. My. God. What the hell is wrong with you people? I leave for a few days and what happens? The whole place falls to crap. Honestly. [strutting around with hands on hips] Bugs, what's this about a scary avatar? All I see is a baby but I can't read the shirt. What's wrong with your legs? I thought you came through TCM ok? Even talking about a second in short time? Well, I hope that talk is over. Shan... shin splints? No! Those can really be nasty, but if you catch them early it should be ok. Ice is your friend... Have you ramped up your mileage recently? I didn't check your log... Dave! Again, I thought you came out of the Army race in good shape. Was I just skimming the thread too much? What's wrong with your legs? What's your upcoming marathon? Sounds almost like Kimmie is running it too? Kimmie! (gorgeous avatar, btw... truly) How's the back/shoulders? That really does suck to have all systems be go, except your back. That's the core of your core and can really mess up your race. Sounds like the worst is behind you, so I hope you're still improving. And I don't know about the no running for three weeks... my orthopedist, who runs and mountain bikes, says 10 days is the max of no- or light-duty only workouts with minimal loss of fitness. After that, it can go quickly. But you recover it faster than someone who was not fit before. Cash, nice race and thanks for the birthday kickoff. I appreciated the e-mail while I was alone in my hotel room feeling sorry for myself. Where've I been? St. Louis. Good conference, and I did a great job on my presentation (ha, if I do say so myself!), but the running sucked. In that I didn't. Run, that is. *sigh* I had an absolutely awesome run last Friday, a usual rest day, in anticipation of being on a plane all day Saturday. What I hadn't counted on was being on a plane all freakin' night, too! We were 3 hours late getting into St. Louis because Northwest had us on three planes in Minneapolis till they found one that would work! Amazing... so we didn't get in till after midnight, I crawled into bed after 1:30 a.m. with the plan to get up "early" and run 16 or so in Forest Park, a 12 minute train ride from my hotel. Got up late (understandably) so it was already hot, and my foot hurt... bad. One loop around the trail at this park is 5.6 miles, and my plan was to do at least 3. It was so not happening. After one loop, I was done. Drank 2 20-oz bottles of water, ate a pack of Luna moons, 4 S-caps and it was all no good. My foot hurt so badly, and it pissed me off. I don't know what it was, other than the overall swelling and fatigue from the long hours in the plane(s). So... I didn't run the rest of the time I was there. Kills me too cuz there was a 5k "fun run/walk" on Tuesday and the winning women's time was just over 27 minutes. Really. And she won a $100 gift certificate to NikeTown. grrrr! I can run an "easy" 5k in less than that, so I was mad. Oh well, as my boss said, I really didn't need to be out on my foot no matter what. Got home early evening yesterday, had a good dinner and good night's sleep. Feel almost human today. It was 4F this morning... clear and sunny now, and I saw last night that the bike path was cleared so I'm going to try 5 easy tonight. Gotta keep that 2k pace bunny outta sight.

Bugs

Oh. My. God. What the hell is wrong with you people? I leave for a few days and what happens? The whole place falls to crap. Honestly. [strutting around with hands on hips]
            Mom is back. I'm LAUGHING because I knew you would say exactly that.
            Bugs, what's this about a scary avatar? All I see is a baby but I can't read the shirt. What's wrong with your legs? I thought you came through TCM ok? Even talking about a second in short time? Well, I hope that talk is over.
            I started to hurt this week, think either my legs just started to thaw or I over stretched, probably the second. Ya I'm not running a marathon this weekend, next one...who knows. I'm kind of enjoying just playing with my kids. Sorry to hear about your foot. They'll be more races. Maybe she really needed the win. That's what I tell myself, I ran a race slow once this summer because I was doing the 15K the next day. I was fourth because of lack of paying attention and she won something good. Clearly this things are hard to forget. Smile Enjoy being home again! We missed you!

Bugs

Dave

Oh. My. God. What the hell is wrong with you people? I leave for a few days and what happens? The whole place falls to crap. Honestly. [strutting around with hands on hips]
              Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a runaholic. <everyone> Hi Dave </everyone> This week instead of tapering, I did a 17 miler and two 6 milers and ended up with shin splints with my marathon in 10 days. <everyone's>What a dumbass!</everyone's> OK, legs are improving after two days rest. Still tweaky but much better. Will ice again tonight. Hit them with the roller and may go an easy 3 or 4 tomorrow.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Hey Erika, Welcome back. Sorry your foot is bugging you. I think that we are all falling apart. I thought you might be the Mom of this group. Smile My back didn't bother me today too much until tonight... a little bit of over doing it, I think. Those children of mine want to eat EVERY day. And with DH out of town, somebody had to wash dishes so we could eat. But I guess I can't complain because I found the energy for a run. And Dave and I are running the Marine Corps. I think I've finally decided on shooting for a sub 4 and nothing faster than that. Keep up the icing Dave.

Bugs

Kimmie, When there are no clean dishes you need to do take out. I have a new avatar. I feel like a pig because I'm running these short runs but eating hearty. I better get on the scale tomorrow. That'll fix it.

Bugs

evanflein

Those children of mine want to eat EVERY day. And with DH out of town, somebody had to wash dishes so we could eat.
                    I know, what's up with that? Hmmm, mom of the group. Guess I walked into that one! Big grin I did get out for a run tonight. Almost froze to death! Need to find my better gloves. 5.5 miles and pretty slow... need to find a different route than that chewed up bike path at the bottom of the road. The one running along the side of my road is plowed and nice, but the path on the main road is all torn up from 4-wheelers, snowmachines and walkers. Amazing because there's really not that much snow yet, but it's already hardened into ruts and trenches. *sigh* Another winter of running in the road, I guess. Temp dropped to about 15 by the time I got home.

Oh Mighty Wing

it's the same soreness i've has for months and i think its muscular not shin splints. especially since it does't hurt to run and the rollins has helped. no mom no ramping.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Thank goodness mom's back. I was really good when you were gone, but everyone else was out of control naughty. Evil grin So, tomorrow's usually a rest day. I'm contemplating a run, maybe 45 minutes. That would give me six runs for this week and just a hair under 40 miles for the week. I'm heading in to another tight period when I won't be around as much as I would like. I'll try and at least poke my head in here to start the monday thread and do as much catchign up as I can.
                        Cashmason

I was good while you were gone, Erika. I am only naughty when you are around... wink.

Oh Mighty Wing

I was good while you were gone, Erika. I am only naughty when you are around... wink.
                            you were barely around... i'm starting to think you don't love us like you love Erika! Tongue

Bugs

Inertia, You will miss us so much you will be back.

Bugs

Bugs

Shan, I have a different suggstion for you. You are trying to run all your miles easy right, with some hill work? Run an easy mile, then do either some fartlek or tempo. Really try to push off the toes. Sometimes a faster run will break yourself out of a sluggish feeling. I'm sort of trying the streak thing myself. There is this guy at work that has streaked for 30 years. He said if I streaked for one year I'd bit the first MN woman to do it. But the real reason is I'd like to follow Nobby's advice. Nobby's schedules are 7 days a week, with some days just a 30 min EASY jog. So that's what I'm going to do. So far I really like this running for time. I just go out and say I'm going to run between 30-60 minutes. See how I feel. I also like not having the pressure of a race in mind, I can run what I feel like running, which I have not done in a long time.

Bugs