Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/24 (Read 262 times)

Hmm.  This is at the iridium level (4 stars):

3. 2 Marathons in 2 days (or 48 hours) must finish both races!

I wonder if 100 miler ultra counts as "2 marathons"?

You would think but I don't think so. Weird to think that I ran 3  consecutive marathons.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

enjoy those recovery day peeps!!

Can't wait to hear the babies been born and see pictures Murph!! Is this your first? 

Good luck on your race Dave!

Got in 12 miles last night.. Wanted to do 14 however Ken didn't get home early enough.  Great run even though my chest protested for the first few miles. Can't believe it's STILL sore lol. Guess I really kicked my ass with that workout on Monday! May or may not do another upper body workout this afternoon and will go out for a run tonight after Ken gets his run in. Length will depend on how much time I have left.  I'm actually feeling recovered from my 100 miler now if I can recover from my first weight workout in ages.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Great to hear from Murphy! That's an exciting time for you and your DW. Be sure you get some rest now. GL with the challenge and getting back to training.

I've been trying to get past the damn 2-star level for ages in the Maniac world. I was going to do the 4 marathons in 4 different states/provinces in 3 months (or something like that) but just couldn't get the travel to work out. That's my biggest obstacle: travel. I really covet Shan's travel budget... and lack of strings I guess. Not that I want to trade, but you know. Work, kids, spouse, finances, etc all conspire against me getting much higher.  I have looked at that 2 in 48 hours thing, and there aren't many opportunities for doubles these days. The one that's most likely is doing the Ghost of Seattle on Saturday Nov. 28, and then the Seattle Marathon on Sunday Nov. 29. But... I don't see a trip to Seattle the weekend after Thanksgiving as happening this year.

P2R, what are you recovering from? Did I miss a race?

Root canal yesterday. OMG, it better be worth it in the long run because I am miserable now. I did manage 11 miles yesterday while I was still somewhat numb. Plan tonight is to run 9 miles with the Equinox training group, from mile 17 to the finish of the actual course. Mostly all downhill, some pretty steep. Should be fun, even with a throbbing upper jaw. Gotta watch the running while on pain meds though, I could hurt something and not know till later.

I'm with you Erika on the travel, budget as well as other responsibilities getting in the way. Wouldn't trade what I've got though for a million years!  Now if I lived in Seattle I wouldn't have to worry cause they got tons of marathons going on close by all the freaken time (damn why did I move lol oh ya family.......... )

AKKKKKK@ root canal! Sending lots of feel better vibes to ya Erika and be carefull running on pain meds!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I did two in 16 days without planning last year, and was surprised to find that that was enough I could join, but then never got around to it. I might do so at some point -- wonder if my eligibility expires and I have to do it again -- dunno.

I might get two in 16 days in a month or so (not sure of calendar dates), but the first is the run leg on a triathlon so it probably doesn't count (I'm only doing the run leg - I'm looking forward to it, as I've never been to an ironman distance before, and this might be as close as I ever come to actually doing one myself).

Just installed Garmin Training Center today so looking forward to going running in order to generate something pretty to see in it Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You should try to sign up, Perry -- I'm sure it's still good.

Light rain this morning so it didn't feel as warm as 68°/97% humidity usually feels.

7.1 miles, 1:02:28, 8:48/mi, AHR 144 (74% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Just installed Garmin Training Center today so looking forward to going running in order to generate something pretty to see in it Smile

Sporttracks generates all the really pretty pictures by the way.

Heading out now for my "just under 6K".

As long as I beat the commanding general, I'll be pretty happy.  Low bar though.  He's a geezer.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I agree sporttracks is much better than training center.  I actually load to both.  I get my stats from the training center because that matches the distance what the garmin says.  sporttracks calculates distance differently so it has a different number of miles ran and pace.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

you are right. It is truly a matter of not having any string and no debt. it's funny - i'm cutting back on racing to focus on speed and everyone assumes it's money. And it really has NOTHING to do with that. But anyway yes that is why I can do it.

I went shopping yesterday for work clothes... ive never felt soo good in my own skin.

MTA: Erika - I can get you 4 in 2 weekends if you want to come live with me for a week! haha there are TONS of doubles in the east. I'd even be your personal chaufer to the races.

Happy Camper

Erika:  Hope you're in less pain today.  I should have typed that taper is going well.  I'll be running the Heart of America on Labor Day so this is the later part of my first taper week.  I should end up with mileage in the low 30's and I'm feeling good.  I'll run less and swim more next week.  It will be an interesting race since I've only done one long run since April. 

JF:  How's school working with the running schedule and what workouts are you doing to improve speed?  Are you focusing on shorter race distances or aiming for holding a faster marathon pace?  Both? 

Pam:  Great that your run legs are recovered!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

This morning was 7 miles of sloppy, wet pace running.  I was wringing my shirt out when i was done.  100% humidity is the worst.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

JF:  How's school working with the running schedule and what workouts are you doing to improve speed?  Are you focusing on shorter race distances or aiming for holding a faster marathon pace?  Both? 

well I've only been back for 4 days and most of those were spent in meetings. I can tell you I'm tired! LOL  We'll see as things progress. Right now I am doing nothing to improve speed other than cutting back on races, getting into a running routine, and back to the way of eating I was following before the summer. I won't know what i'm doing for speed until I'm doing it. I am not in control of my training haha. Sorry I can't be more helpful! I am focusing soley on the marathon.

evanflein

Shan I think most people assume it's the money because that's such a limiting factor for so many people, especially those with families, mortgages, car loans, etc. I'm having to use miles to get to Victoria, like we did for a couple of other trips recently, and the miles are there, but not much cushion. Always like to keep enough on hand for an emergency "gotta go" kind of thing.

Good luck with your race, Bryan! Are you next up on our schedule?

My run last night was interesting. Probably shouldn't have done it, but it wasn't like I could do this group run later as it was the last one for the year for this Equinox training group. In 2005, I did all of these training runs and they were awesome... you got to practice on the actual course with the RD and other experienced runners. I think that's the main reason I had such a good first marathon. Anyhow, we piled into a big van and drove up to the top of the hill (Ester Dome) and ran from mile 17 (the top of "the chute") down to the finish on the actual course. Mostly downhill, but some uphill segments too. I did pretty well on it, especially considering I'd felt like dying a few hours earlier, but the pounding and jarring of all that downhill made my teeth/jaw very sore. I took several walk breaks in the last 4 miles to let that settle down and give my legs a break (I'd just run 11 with tempo the night before). So, 9.5 miles in 1:23:10 something, for an 8:46 avg pace. Here's the graph showing elevation and pace:

Dave

3.84 miles was the garmin distance on this morning's "5K".  Finish time 27:20 (about 7:10 pace).  At my 5K Garmin split I was just over 22:10 so I've clearly lost some fitness since early summer.

I finished 9th out of about 50.  A few really young guys up front.  Near the end I passed a kid and told him not to let an old man beat him.  He didn't.  Found out later he was 14.  Ouch .

Heading out soon for my trip down to Georgia.  Expecting some warmer temps.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Aren't you doing Plyro's to help get faster Shan? (at least that's why I figured you were doing them and I had a feeling you would stop racing so much for the same reason) Is MJ still in charge of your training?

NIce run there Erika! We all do runs we probably shouldn't do but such is life. Very cool that you got to run on the actual marathon course! I'd love to do that for Steamtown *sigh*

I totally hear you on the humidity Paul. I swear I more wet from humidity than rain sometimes . Nice run!

Nice 5k Dave despite the lost fitness. If you can get back the consistancy you'll get back the fitness in no time. Way to beat the old man Smile

I got in a 5.5 miles last night as well as another workout. My running schedule just turned around. I had planned on running 9-10 tonight since my long run wouldn't be until Sunday however I'll be doing my long run tomorrow am so looks like 5.5 tonight. If I wasn't taking this week "easy" I'd think about doing 9 or so tonight as well as the 16-18 tomorrow. Hope to be ready for speedwork next week (though it may be too late)