Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/8 (Read 332 times)

Glad you got some real good runs in Erika!!

I found out last Thursday that there was a Marathon 2.5 hours from where I was going to be at on Sunday so I decided to run it. It was nice being in shape to do an on the spur marathon however I think I'll stick to my run lots and race little for awhile. The stress of the logistics is more than I like.

Anyhoo I got in 3.2 miles in this morning. Something about running a short loop really puts a damper on my run. Anyway probably shouldn't have done more than that anyways with such a long day ahead.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Have 6 miles, fartlek on the schedule for noon time today.  

Hope everyone has a good day today!

theyapper

On the road again...

I was up early (not Lou early, but a 5:30 run is early for me) and got in a quick 3 miles.  Even then the humidity was 100% and temps were mid 60s.  Uggh.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Pam, I agree with you. I love racing and going to races, but the logistics issue (and frankly, the expense) is starting to get old. I'm still planning on racing some marathons this year, or maybe just running them... but I'm finding the planning, the travel and the TRAINING is getting to be so hard to fit in. I'm tired of juggling so much, and my house is a mess and my finances are shaky so BAH! Maybe I'm just burned out on it and need a break. Yeah, great... I need a break and it's summer and the running is supposed to be plentiful!! Oh well. I'll get over it. I'm just tired now... that weekend took a lot out of me I think.

Lou, sorry you don't have a pool. Pool running may not be a whole lot more exciting that the elliptical, but it seems more satisfying somehow. Good walk on those little legs, btw.

We have forest fire smoke in the valley today. It's supposed to dissipate a bit by this afternoon, but still blech. There are some fires to the SW of us (we always have forest fires in the summer, and most are in "limited suppression areas" meaning they don't fight them because there's nothing there but moose and squirrels) and the wind change blew the smoke our way. Yuk. But it's not bad enough for air quality issues, so I'm planning a 5 mile RAL today.

I'll turn in this into a summary later.

(just sayin'...)  (no pressure) 

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

3,000 yds in the pool.  Back begins to feel better, then the meds wear off.  Progress with this thing is slow.  Tomorrow is the mid point of my 3 weeks off.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

And it looks like you're a bit pleased with that mid-3-week point! What meds are you on? If it's the prednisone, usually they start you off with a large dose and taper down over a period of 6 days or so. I was on it for 12 (double pack) and loved it... Was sad to see it go, actually.

5.5 mile RAL today, average pace was 8:19. The cool thing about this is I felt it was the same "effort" as a couple weeks ago when I could barely get a 8:50 average. Miles 4 and 5 today were 8:05 and 7:44... yes they're slightly downhill, but still... Temps were in the upper 60's and the wind has cleared out a lot of the smoke. Now if we'd just get some rain to put out some fires, life would be good!

Dave

(just sayin'...)  (no pressure) 

Are we there yet?  No.

How far?  Further.

Are we there yet?  Not yet.

Are we there yet?

I'm pacing myself.  And I ran almost 4 miles today unlike most of you broken people 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

everybody leave Dave alone now.

Just got back from 1.5 mile walk with my girls... trying to get them to walk every night.

Ran at 1 pm today 6 miles... was supposed to be fartlek.. it was 93 and sunny and it turned into a "please don't let me pass out on the side of the road" run.

Happy Camper

And it looks like you're a bit pleased with that mid-3-week point! What meds are you on? If it's the prednisone, usually they start you off with a large dose and taper down over a period of 6 days or so. I was on it for 12 (double pack) and loved it... Was sad to see it go, actually.

I'm using up leftover Propoxyphene-N  and Skelaxin I take at night and I take Ibuprohen during the day.  It's getting better.  It's just taking longer than I like.  Looks like you got a good run in today.  The only good thing that could come out of this for me is I may just enter a Tri just to do one now that my swimming is getting better.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

3  one mile runs with the dog I adopted today from the Humane society.   Don't have a name picked out for her yet though.
                          3  one mile runs with the dog I adopted today from the Humane society.   Don't have a name picked out for her yet though.

Congratulations on your adoption!

If we ever get another dog, we're going to name her Fuggles or Growler.

So I picked up the pace today.  I was trying different strides.  If I bend my knee on the heel plant, I move faster -- this is closer to a running stride.  I will avoid this though as it's easier to get both feet off the ground, I think, and I want to make sure I give my nerve the rest it needs.  Still even with the straight kneed heel plant I was moving faster than yesterday.

3.9 miles, 47:18, 12:03/mi, AHR 128 (66% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

very cool Cash!!  Someday we'll get a dog.

Lou- I can't believe that you can walk a 12 minute pace... that's very fast walking.

Pace- hang in there... it would be cool for you to do a tri-  I bet you'll be great at it.

I think I will take a day off today.  I'm very frustrated that my shins hurt so much.  Every run since Friday has seemed difficult. I think I screwed up my shins by running hills on the treadmill last Friday.  I wish I could remember that for some reason, treadmill running is never worth it for me.  

Today is busy anyways, with Field Day at school... if you've never experienced hundreds of kids running around in massive heat, it's a blast.  Smile

Happy Camper

You're a better person than I am going on that field trip today Kimmie.  Have fun!

3,000 yds in the pool again. 1:10:53.  Avg HR: 135, Max HR: 191.  I had forgotten that my old Polar F11 was water resistant.

Congrats on the dog Lou!!

Sorry about your shins Kimmie!! Enjoy your rest day!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson