Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/10 (Read 242 times)

Dave

I can't imagine running ALL easy miles till then..and I'm not sure I have to, please say I don't. Wink What do you think of my plan for the winter? Do you think I am building miles right now or maintaining? Sorry this got so long, it's all about me today. Wink
    I'll answer this the way I'm thinking of it for myself. You just did a marathon training cycle. Your base is in place. You might need 3-4 more weeks of deliberate base building in November before adding speedwork back in just to make sure you've fully recovered and to work on that low end aerobic stuff. 10 minute pace may be too fast or too slow but you may not know until you monitor up. When I started my last training cycle, I was around 9:30-9:40 at my easy pace. Now it ranges between 8:45-9:15 depending on how well rested I am. Your winter plan sounds very solid. 2 hard days (recognizing that long is another type of hard, good grief that sounds awful) spread out around easy running. If your long run is one hard day, the other one should be more like intervals, tempo stuff, hard hills, etc. Striders can be mixed into one easy day as long as you don't over do it. I would love to get back to 40-50 mile weeks without injury. I think right now, you should be a short time of maintenance and then back to building.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Yeah, what he said . . . I agree on not judging a run as "easy" by pace. There are days 11:00 feels hard enough, and other days where 9:30 feels like I'm not even trying. This is why I use HR. I started with the MAF formula, but usually stay below it's recommendations for my easy runs now. I'm also going to the 2 hard workouts/week once I'm recovered from the marathon. One will definitely be a long run on the weekend, and I want to alternate the other hard workout between intervals at the track (local running club sponsors it at a nice college track), tempo runs, and hill workouts, which I've never done. Mr. I seems to have all sorts of crazy ideas on different speed workouts, maybe he'll share a few favorites! 4 more easy miles today. Think I'll run a couple Saturday morning just to keep the legs awake, then it'll be time for the marathon! Looks to be around 30 at the start, warming into the 50s. Gotta love that!

Oh Mighty Wing

recognizing that long is hard
        bbbwwwaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaaa My mind is soo immature!

Hail to The Victors!

bbbwwwaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaaa My mind is soo immature!
          Jeez, first the cock reply, and then this! Sooo dirty minded! Wink

Dave

It was such a setup. I knew she couldn't resist. Evil grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

I swear it's not my fault... I teach high schoolers - to avoid doing things like drawing atoms that look like boobs and barometers that look like penises I have to stay one step ahead!! (or at least I tell myself that so my perverted mind doesn't seem wrong! :P) 2 miles on the dread mill today.

Bugs

I think I will keep easy fairly easy until I am safely back in the 40-50 mile range. Looks like miles are going to tank a bit this week due to illness, but hey I'm not in the cardiac unit again so that's not too bad. The problem with misjudging easy you can end-up never having a full tank of gas for the days it's suppose to be hard. I fell into that trap last marathon season but I've got time on my side now. Knock-on-wood, no injuries right now, but I need to get off the TM, tends to give me shin splints.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

i wonder if it's not misjudging easy but not having enough recovery... as in you ran hard, easy, hard but what you needed was hard, recovery, hard. I'm finding this week that I don't want to do recovery runs - my legs feel great and so why not run easy... I sense I will pay for this later.

Bugs

Brian Do you have tracking informration for us??

Bugs

Bugs

Your winter plan sounds very solid. 2 hard days (recognizing that long is another type of hard, good grief that sounds awful) spread out around easy running. If your long run is one hard day, the other one should be more like intervals, tempo stuff, hard hills, etc. Striders can be mixed into one easy day as long as you don't over do it.
                      Sorry, what sounds awful???

Bugs

Dave

long is another type of hard I knew where Shan would go with that one.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

hehehe

Bugs

long is another type of hard I knew where Shan would go with that one.
                            Big grin Sorry that was head banging for me.

Bugs

Bugs

BTW, We need to clean house and all be on our best behavior. We may have a new member to the group. I'm trying to coax run48 that were not all a bunch of goof balls. MTA, come on Larry...post we're all good people here.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Nerd alert: I emailed Bayshore to ask if their bibs were given sequentially and, if I was the first one to sign up would I get #1. They do it sequentially, but 1-10 are reserved for previous winners and those who have a shot at winning. I'm totally gonna try and get #11 Tongue Oh, 1 hour run this evening, taking advantage of the warmer weather for now and getting in 6.5 miles.