Marathon Trainers

Week of Aug. 4 thru 10 (Read 170 times)

evanflein

Ok, enough of last week! C'mon you guys we can do this! Yesterday's 20 went pretty well. Foot pain toward the end though and that's strange because running is usually when my foot feels ok! Found out last night I'd grabbed my old shoes. Doh! That was stoopid. So, iced it last night and took Ibu... more today. Feeling a little better. Stoopid metatarsals. Sadly though, I'm beginning to realize this may be a chronic thing and part of my "new normal" as I go forward. *sigh* oh well. 20.2 miles at 8:21 avg pace... that includes a couple of walk breaks, but less than 2 minutes total. Never felt like I was "pushing it" just got a sore foot as I went along. So today I might do an easy 4 on the treadmill... or might just skip it. This is a cutback week anyway leading up to my half-marathon on Saturday. I'd rather have my foot feel better than get in 4 stinkin' ol' miles. But we'll see how the evening unfolds. Hope MrInertia is doing ok. How's everybody else doing?

Oh Mighty Wing

ok so only 1 mile today... but Erika you can't be mad... We drove 13.5 hours home today. Left Nashville at 7am and arrived home at 8:30 pm. So I ran 1 mile to loosen up the legs which are sore and stiff... Back on track tomorrow!!

Bugs

Hello. Erika, sounds like a pretty strong 20. Shan, totally understandable not to run. I have found those long car trips you need to run before the trip, else you don't do it at all. I didn't run today, but aqua jogged in the pool while the kids tried to douce me with water. We're in Northern MN close to Bemidji where we have a cabin rented. If you remember we did a similiar vacation last year and I was miserably sick the entire week. Really nice to NOT be sick. There is a county road near by that is not too busy and is workable. I like trails so much better than roads, I tend to not worry about being road kill on trails. I dropped off water for tomorrow morning. DH is not stewing too much about not being able to rise at 5:30 a.m. to fish. We feel a little guilty being on vacation. DH's Grandma (yes 3 deaths in July) died and funeral was Saturday. It was funeral or vacation and we picked vacation. Sorry Grandma!

Bugs

Cashmason

Note to self: Don't visit Bugs in July. 2200 meters in the fishbowl today. Swim distance PR. Only a few stops to drain water out of goggles and sip from water bottle. A couple of months ago, I was out of breath after every 25 meters and had to stop to rest.
          Cashmason

http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20244&page=11 Erika, an orthopedic surgeon on Kick Runners graciously answers questions on dealing with athletes injuries on the above thread. His handle is Rotten Squirrel. He answers questions on metatarsals, sesmiod bones and other foot problems as well as knees, hips, shoulders etc. Sometimes the advice is see a doc. Other times its rest and ibu, or stretches other things to do. He tries to get you back to doing what you love, rather than just saying dont run anymore. No need to learn to live with pain for the rest of your life. End of lecture.
              Erika, any 20 is a good 20 in my book. Nice run. Shan, I understand the driving issue. My run the next day usually suffers a little from drives back to Nebraska (8-9 hours), just can't get loosened up for a while. Running that mile will probably help your next run. Well, another 5 miles in the sauna today. Overnight low was 83, and I had to get out the door by 5:00 to catch those "cool" temperatures. DS is starting to get mad because daddy doesn't take him running anymore. Not sure how to explain it to a 2.5 year old, but I'm not getting him up at 5:00 AM, and I'm not running in 102 degrees at 5:00 PM with him. Oh well, another month and things will be much better. Really wondering what happened to Mr. I. -Brian
              evanflein

Erika, an orthopedic surgeon on Kick Runners graciously answers questions on dealing with athletes injuries on the above thread.
                Nah, I've already seen a good podiatrist for this. He gave me lots of tips for dealing with it, but the #1 thing was stop running for a month or two and see what happens. Sorry, not going there. At least not now. That's a terrible thing to tell an Alaskan runner in springtime!! So, after Equinox, if I don't run RVM (looking unlikely due to travel problems... I've already entered the *#@%* thing!) I will take some time to rest up and do pool running, etc. For now, it's ice, ibu, new shoes (they did help), and softer surfaces. I got some metatarsal pads but lost 'em... I didn't run yesterday. Sometimes the day just gets away from me. Oh well, that's fine. Shan! I don't get mad at you, you silly girl. And actually, after 13.5 hours in the car, a mile shakeout run was probably just what you needed! Just get back on the plan now... Cash.. good tip... don't visit Bugs in July, check.

Dave

Really nice 20 miler, Erika. Quite a pace. Hope your foot starts to feel better. Hate to see you aggravate it. Does it hurt the same regardless of what pace you're running? Sounds like your swimming is progressing well, Cash. Hang in there, Brian. Cooler weather must be around the corner. We had the humidity back today and I was sort of glad I didn't have to run it. Rest day for me. Fortunately, it coincided with a crappy day at work and some serious soreness from my crosstraining yesterday after my run. Squats (not heavy, but combined with an overhead press) really trashed my hamstrings. Might have to give them up as mary training gets more focused. Will try and get a run in tomorrow as work allows.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - glad you are enjoying the vacation! Cash - you are doing great with the running!! Brian - you are great for getting out there! For now you will have to find something else for father son time. Especially since there will come a day when you might be too cool to hang out with. We aren't talking about my run today... we will talk about my running tomorrow... PS... so my long run saturday was broken up into 3 parts... warm-up, 5k, 6 miles... I think Dave might have pointed that out... and it just occurred to me that Bugs mentioned this last week when I asked about 5k's. And I have to say it was an interesting experience, but definately not that bad! I would probably even consider doing it again only with better fueling.
                    evanflein

Dave... weird thing about my foot. I've taken a week off, I've run slow and easy, I've iced it, I've taken ibu, I've elevated it, changed my shoes, gotten new shoes, yadda, yadda, yadda... nothing seems to make a difference. I took yesterday off and today the first mile felt like I had a folded up bit of sock under my foot... then it was fine after 2-3 miles. I've iced it tonight, but it's a bit swollen and I'm sure my first few steps tomorrow will be "ow!" Just something I'm getting used to.... Tonight's run was 5.5 miles, down the bike path and back up. 8:20 avg pace which is awesome considering that the last two miles are usually around 9 m/m pace... (today was 8:30 something and 8:50, cool). Then we went to the boys' scrimmage and both teams have improved so much over the year... Next week's tournament should be good!
                      Cashmason

Video for Shan Day after the Marathon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I&feature=related 6.9 miles tonight at 8:48 pace while g/f taught water aerobics. Thought of going 7, but then even a short shower would have made me later meeting her downstairs. Better to take a shower and not stink when I get into her car.

Oh Mighty Wing

The guy with the bloody nips at the end is the best! Erica - so does it hurt the same with rest and if you just keep running? Or is it that it hurts less with rest even though it still hurts?
                            8 steamy miles this morning. They were calling for a low of 74, but it was 80 when I stepped out the door at 4:30 this morning. Oh well, run went really well considering. Shan, I like the idea of breaking up a long run that way, might have to consider it sometime. Did you go all out with the 5k? I'm thinking I'd need some rest if I did that, and have never tried a race not going all-out. Maybe that's what I'd need to work on. Later in the program I've scheduled a 5k on Saturday and 13 on Sunday. I'm thinking that shouldn't be too bad. So, lets talk about today's run. Yesterday was that bad, huh? Erika, sorry about the foot, that must really be annoying. Cash, you're cooler than me. I've got some OCD issues (maybe most runners do), but I couldn't stop at 6.9. Maybe part of that is because my wife realizes this and would understand (but probably not tolerate) the extra minute or two. Knowing me for 11 years (geez that makes me sound old), she's used to these sort of things I guess. -Brian

Oh Mighty Wing

Brian, I actually think I played the race well considering. I went out conservatively and held a medium effort through the first half. I walked up most of the hill at mile 2. And then picked up the pace for the last half mile or so. I passed about 6 people in the last half mile which was cool. I sprinted the last 10th I guess and felt like I was gonna get sick. I probably could have gone harder, but I was impressed with my efforts. There was 30min to 1hr between the end of the race and the 6 miles. A member of our group got an award so we got a snack and water, took a picture, and waited for the awards. By then I was feeling ready to go. Run Today: 5.2 it wasn't pretty...

Dave

Nice run, Brian. 8 miles is a great mid-week distance. May go for one myself tomorrow. Shan, your calves do not hate you. Way to log the miles. 5 miles myself, progressively faster towards the end. Legs felt better after the run than before. No more squats for me.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com