Marathon Trainers

Week of Aug. 4 thru 10 (Read 170 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave, I really think they do. They hurt a good bit during the run... flat only hurt minimally but the hills killed... there was walking! Glad your legs loosened up!! And stay away from those squats!

Bugs

Cash, You're right, why go to muggy MN in July when we could go way up North to Alaska. Your swimming great. I could swim 100 yards right now, it's not like riding a bike. Erika, Sorry about the foot pain. I've had so much success with graston treatment, that'd be my recommendation if you get sick of it being a chronic deal. Brian, You should plan a vacation to Northern MN next year and take a break from the heat. The boys went on a kid's fishing trip which left me with two hours to run. 11 miles today, 13 yesterday so been getting miles in. Avg pace 9:12. Not an ounce of shade on that road and was really missing my trail, but loving the no humidity up here. DH gets up early to fish, and fishing time trumps my running right now. Luckily running in 70F isn't all that miserable, but dam it's be 55F if I could run at 5:30.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - 11, 13 - wow lady!! You are getting some miles in!! I hope you are finding time to relax and enjoy your vaca as well!
        Cashmason

10 miles for me today running.
            Got a call from a buddy to play poker last night. Needless to say, I didn't set the alarm for 4:45 this morning after that. But, it's supposed to be a little cooler today (90 I think), so I should be able to get the miles in tonight. Sounds like a good excuse to put off mowing for another day.

Bugs

Bugs - 11, 13 - wow lady!! You are getting some miles in!! I hope you are finding time to relax and enjoy your vaca as well!
              Relaxing like crazy. Sleeping in and then making my boys a real breakfast every morning. (For one week I'm the Mom I've always dreamed of being.) Then we go out fishing as a family, and spend the afternoons at the pool. Last night we went on a paddleboat ride, man that works your butt. Today we're going to a big animal park with tigers & bears and stuff. Yesterday at the pool when I had to take my DS to the cabin, and other adults were going to keep an eye on the two kids including my son Tate (7) and a 4 year old girl. The 4 year old fell off the floating shark and went under water. Just when I was going through the pool gate I see Tate holding this girl with his arm around her armpit holding her head out of water, first thought he was being mean. Long story short he got her out of the water just like they learn in swimming classes. (A Mom did jump in but Tate was faster.) We're telling him he's a hero.

Bugs

Bugs

Cash, They had a canoe, bike, run triathlon while we were here. God I wish I was so cool to be able to do something like. Do they have anything like that in your area?

Bugs

Hey all... My back was seiously hurting the past two weeks after the marathon golf outing. Getting back out there now. 4 miles yesterday felt great Still planning the USAFM next month. If I get my work in over the next month and my long runs I think I'll be 'OK'. This will be kinda like a training run for Vegas in December..or maybe Columbus again in October. Really fighting to be motivated--work + my side business is taking off which is great--but leaving me exhausted. But, I know if I just force myself out there--(I really enjoy running once I hit the trail) for a couple weeks straight then I get to the point where you cant keep me off the trails. I just need to get to that point. My local running store shut down--that was upsetting. It was 1/2 mile away and really convenient.

Dave

Murph, welcome back. Glad to see you're getting back out there. Doesn't look like I'm going to try and hit the USAFM but I may very well run it next year after our move to Michigan. Bugs, glad to hear you're enjoying your vacation. I have a strange feeling that 11 milers constitute relaxation for you Wink Brian, I'm trying to figure out how to log my mowing time as miles. Can I count that? Just under 9 today in warm but not oppressive weather. 3 miles at 8:30 in the middle. Maybe its just the heat but its causing me to question my marathon pace goal. May need to slow it down to make sure I don't have a really bad experience. Probably too soon to decide.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Bugs, glad to hear you're enjoying your vacation. I have a strange feeling that 11 milers constitute relaxation for you Wink
                      LOL Guilty
                      Just under 9 today in warm but not oppressive weather. 3 miles at 8:30 in the middle. Maybe its just the heat but its causing me to question my marathon pace goal. May need to slow it down to make sure I don't have a really bad experience. Probably too soon to decide.
                      I'm guessing the heat. To me you seem like you have gotten faster based on the times you posted. I'm not running as fast as last year but am running a record number of miles and not injured so that's gotta count for something. Think we both need a HM to test our conditioning. Got any races that you could do?

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, graston probably wouldn't be much help because it's a mechanical issue with me... bones not tendons/ligaments/muscle. The miles have caught up with the deformed toe joints and causing inflammation and bruising. Dave, pace doesn't seem to matter, but surfaces do make a difference so I try to avoid concrete at all costs, asphalt if I can, and stick to trails/dirt as much as possible. With all the rain we've had that's a little tough because of all the mud, so it's been a lot of asphalt lately. Shan, rest days don't seem to make much difference. I took last Friday off and by bedtime my foot and second toe were just as swollen as usual. Swelling mostly goes down overnight but not all the way. First few steps in the morning are ouchie... but it's not PF (not in the heel area at all). So, the saga continues... Bugs, I like your idea of relaxation. When we go somewhere, I'm always figuring out how I can get a 10 mile run in. Drives my DH nuts. He sometimes says that's all I care about. I tell him, no, it's just the first thing I care about. After I know I can run, I feel much more relaxed and ready to think about other things. And after I run, I'm ready for whatever comes next! Strange addiction, but I like it... Hey, guess what... it's raining. I've heard they're thinking of re-routing Saturday's half marathon course to make it mostly on roads. It'll be a much faster course that way (it's already pretty flat, but the trail portions can slow you down even on good days), so hard to compare one year's time to another. But could still be a good PR at the HM distance, which was one of my goals this year!
                        Cashmason

Bugs, Tate is a hero. If I went to Alaska, Miss Alaska would be chasing me, and I am not fast enough to out run her.... wink. Yes we do have some kayak, bike, and run tri's. But they are more common up north, where the water gets too cold to swim in, even with a wetsuit. Murph, sorry about the back. Mine hasnt hurt in a long time, but when it does..... Glad to have you back. Husker, lose 20 bucks at poker.. and your next run you will be so mad you will run faster.... wink. Dave, the heat will always slow you down, training or racing. Just keep on training. If your race will be in cooler weather, your speed will come back. Cute avatar Shan. Good luck with your PR Erika !

Oh Mighty Wing

My knee's sore. I think it's from lack of stretching... my legs are tight. I know what you are all going to say, but i'm sure i'm not going to listen... Instead i'm going to ice, and do the stretches I got at PT. I stopped stretching - probably stupid... so i'm going to go back to them. And keep all my runs very easy. Bugs - i'm so glad you are getting to relax and enjoy yourself! Husker - Murphy - hi!!! Sorry to hear about your back!! Dave - your running sounds like it's going well! Don't worry about the pace - the heat's been crazy here! Erika - if rest doesn't seem to help then how would it help to take a month off? Cash - thanks! Maybe it's the cut-back week messing with my mind...

Happy Camper

Overslept the run this morning but manged 31-miles on the road bike tonight. Had some clip on aeros loaned to me and I was excited to try them but the screws weren't long enough to clamp over my handlebars. hope to adapt them and try them soon. I still haven't sent in my entry to the marathon. Decision time is coming soon. ..

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Erika, Get some botox shot in between those bones. Smile Actually I heard of that for TMJ treatment so it might not be that far out of an idea. Shan, About a month ago my foot hurt, and all I could think was dam I'm on edge of re-injuring my foot. It was nothing. No sense in worring. P2R, What marathon? You were thinking of one before Des Moines right? I am lazy, no running today. Tomorrow I have been granted time from 5:30-6:30 and then I will crawl back to bed.

Bugs