Marathon Trainers

10/27-11/2 (Read 337 times)

Kimmie

I live in Ashburn, Va. which is 30 miles directly west of Washington DC. I think Dave is closer, not sure. The two airports here are Dulles, which is about 7 miles from my house. Or Reagan which is in DC. If you wanted to skip renting a car, I could most definitely pick you up and drive to the race and everything. Sometimes, flights into Dulles are cheaper, I've noticed. National starts early too, so we would be on the road pretty early on that morning... something like 5:15 or so. Yea- that would be so cool if you wanted to come. I have room for more, Shan! Smile

Dave

2 airports. DCA (Washington National Airport downtown) and Dulles International (don't know the symbol off hand) that is out in the suburbs a bit. Car rental would depend on what you want to do while you're there, where you stay, and where you fly into. If you fly into National and stay in town there, you can avoid car rental and Metro everywhere you want to go. If you fly into Dulles, stay with friends, and want to site see, you might want a rental car. MTA: I'm in Woodbridge which is just a few miles closer than Kimmie. Can easily accomodate a couple upstairs (queen sized bed) and 2 singles downstairs in our basement (futons).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Could I be half ready by March?? Does it fill up fast? Could i wait till Feb to sign up so I cannot waste money if I don't make it?

Dave

Without a doubt, Shan. You've run 10 before. If your goal is to finish the half, you will have no trouble reaching that goal. MTA: I don't think the marathon fills up but I'm not sure on the half. It does get more expensive as you get closer though.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Hey now! I've run and completed a half. I would be looking to do better than I did at last years half. And to be fair while I ran 10 miles last week I didn't run them all at once. It's been a long time since i've seen 10 miles - other than in a car (yeah that's right I went there)...
              Dave, I should come do the half with you. Seriously, I want to do a half about two months prior to marathon and the only way to do that is to fly as it is still winter here. If the winter goes well I do plan to fly somewhere to do a HM. I was 4/95 in A.G. and 29/326 for Females. Thank God for slow runners.
              HEY, I take offense to that!! Hmm, I could do a full marathon in March.

Bugs

HEY, I take offense to that!! Hmm, I could do a full marathon in March.
                Murphy look at the results. You're fast! MTA: AND YOUR MALE! Hey I think we got a group trip planned. I am so awesome. Wink

Bugs

evanflein

I assume the National Marathon, Washington D.C. Registration is Open now. I'll check for tickets tonight. Would be nice if Erika could come too.
                  Nope, it's a month before Boston so no-can-do. Speaking of which, if you're going out to May you can stick my April race in there... Boston on April 20, 2009. Dave and Kimmie get to take well-deserved rests now. You guys both did so awesome. So impressed! I'm back from a weekend in Anchorage, didn't have time to more than skim the end of last week's thread. So happy Mr. I could stop in and start the new one for us! Thanks! I had a good workout at the gym yesterday... 50 minutes hard on the stationary bike and about a half hour of upper body weights. Felt good, but it sure isn't running. I'm going into NYC with only 10 miles run in the last three weeks. That's more than a little scary. But I have to remember all the pool running I did... and will do more of this week. It should pull me through. Foot doc appointment is tomorrow morning. I'm thinking I need a shot of cortisone, but we'll see what he says. Everything I've read indicates that's the best option... I just realized we go off daylight savings time next Sunday, so it's "fall back" and gain an hour of sleep! Given my jet lag before the race, I'll need it!!

Bugs

Erika, So when one goes to Anchorage for the weekend what to do they do? Stock up on seal oil for the lanterns? Eat Eskimo pie? Anxious for your doctor appointment tomorrow. My feet are feeling better today. I think I have a minor case of tendonities. I'm self-treating them. I got enough doctor bills right now. Tongue Kimmie and Dave, I'd take it easy this week. Those running endorphins can be miss leading the first week. I think sometimes it is just better to hold off, maybe work your arms, abs, go for a walk if you really need to log something. Wink

Bugs

Bugs

Could I be half ready by March?? Does it fill up fast? Could i wait till Feb to sign up so I cannot waste money if I don't make it?
                      Shan, Just going to note they have qualification times. Have you ever done a 5K< 31 ? 31=""></ 31 ? >

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan, Just going to note they have qualification times. Have you ever done a 5K< 31="" />
                        no but i've done a 32:38 - and that was the race that I was anticipating doing the 15K - so I wasn't racing it like a 5K... in other words I think I could get that done. NEVERMIND... Bugs you should have more faith in me!! Check out my 10K from last year... BOYA BABY!!!

Bugs

no but i've done a 32:38 - and that was the race that I was anticipating doing the 15K - so I wasn't racing it like a 5K... in other words I think I could get that done. NEVERMIND... Bugs you should have more faith in me!! Check out my 10K from last year... BOYA BABY!!!
                          I do! Trust me Shan would have been qualified by March if not already. Wink MTA, I know you would not want to miss out on running with Kimmie and I, and then cheering on Dave and Murphy. Wish I could run the full, but I made a promise that I would focus on a goal race and do it well.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

ok i have to admit I was shocked - I didn't really think I was fast enough to qualify LOL Yeah ok I'm excited. So now my plan is as follows: Run 26.2 the week leading up to the monkey with the final run ending on the date of the Monkey. Run a 10K (Dec 7th) - break 1 hour Run a Half (March whenever) - set a PR. OMG I AM SOO FREAKING EXCITED!!! ** there might be a caveat to all of that and that is pregnancy ** But I'd rather have a plan than no plan. And I feel I can build safely enough that I won't wear out my body enough to affect pregnancy - like I did this summer when I killed my period.

Oh Mighty Wing

ok Kung Foo Panda - is a great movie!!

Hail to The Victors!

So I safely made it through Jury Duty today without being enpanelled. Turns out that the trial that they had for us was settled (i.e. the criminal pled guilty) about an hour before we were scheduled to be empanelled. Something about the jury of your peers sitting in the same building as you probably gets people all nervous. :-) The judge called us in, and it turns out the case was one of the more interesting ones that could have been fun to sit on (if I hadn't had to drive 40 miles every day to go to court to listen to it). IT was the kingpin of a local Cocaine trafficking operation. All of the rest of his gang (all 17 of them) had already pled guilty, and he was the hold out. Could have been fun to hear, but I'm happy that I got home by noon, and I was able to get my 12 in this afternoon. I like getting that second long run in on Monday, it just makes the rest of the week seem so laid back in comparison. That National Half sounds like fun! If I qualify for Boston, it might be an interesting tuneup for it!