Marathon Trainers

10/27-11/2 (Read 337 times)

Bugs

I really can't stand looking at Dave's foot any longer. One pickle might be is the next week is spring break for the kids, which usually we don't do crap because DH does not want to go anywhere, has to much work to do, and nothing better else to do in MN in March. I emailed DH for permission. See if he wants to take a family vacation, boy that is so NOT what I had in mind.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I LOVE running in the rain... toss in some gusting winds and you have one AWESOME run!!! I only went 2.14 miles but I KNOW I had at least 1 more in me!

Dave

Thanks for removing that picture of my foot. Agree. Kimmie's pictures are SO much nicer. March is early for cherry blossoms but still not a bad time to be in DC. There is family stuff to do and the Baltimore aquarium is awesome and not too far away. Rain running is so cool, Shan. You had 4 more in you Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

You had 4 more in you Wink
          maybe 2. I have a month to get the other 2 in me! LOL MTA: where are Kimmie's pictures??
          Kimmie

wow... that's cool that you know how to post those pics. I don't usually like how I look when I'm running... there is one of me going up the hill at the end where I have a killer look of determination on my face. What's funny is that I spent 85% of the race talking and laughing but all of the pictures are of me at the end or when I was grimacing. oh well... I went to the foot doc today... simple to drain it. It was actually underneath my toenail and I didn't lose the nail. It was really painful and now it's all better. So I'm thinking I will be able to run tomorrow morning. yea!

Oh Mighty Wing

am i missing something? I still saw Dave's foot and I see no Kimmie!!
                On the main group page, Shan.

Oh Mighty Wing

OOOOHHHH Thank you!!! I have it set up so I come straight to the forum...

Dave

I have one good official photo out in front of the capitol. They parked the photographer right in the middle of the street and shoot back towards the dome. It was about mile 18 and I still looked good. My finish picture (with the medal) is so bad I refuse to post it here. Really pathetic. I was sort of trying to smile but a little unglued and emotional. You might want to check again Kimmie, they're still posting them. I tried to jog just a little today on my walk to my car. Sort of like Frankenstein. Will wait a few more days I think.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

See Shan? 2 miles was good, right? Gotta start building girl or you'll just stagnate! Kimmie, I drain my own... straight pin doused in alcohol, slide it right up under the nail, press down on the nail and have a kleenex handy! Do it all the time. Well, not all the time, just when I need to. Blush (thankfully that's not often...) Foot Doc report: He thought it might be a stress fracture of the 3rd metatarsal because of where it hurt and where the swelling was. Three views on x-ray and no indication of SFX, but there was a part of the bone that looked like it had been bleeding, like a bruised area. So it's all inflamed and could be a stress reaction, but no break. The bad news is it's not a joint issue that could be easily treated with a cortisone injection (so much for self-diagnosis). BUT more good news I have no arthritis or bone spurs in my foot and the 2nd metatarsal that was causing problems earlier looks fine structurally so it's a tendon issue that seems to have resolved itself for now. The current problem could've been caused by inflammation and stress from the original problem, but it's the one I have to deal with now. Can I run? Yes... be careful and be prepared to pull out of NYC if I need to. He said I might be a DNF, but he sees no reason for me to be a DNS. I told him I've never DNF'd in my life and have no intention of starting that now! He just smiled and said, "well, be careful and be prepared to hurt afterwards." The issue of it hurting more to walk than to run is a common thing he said, and I was right in that it's because of the different stride and turnover of running (more forefoot flexion and push-off from toes in the walk). Treatment: Continue what I've been doing... ice, ibuprofen, pool running is great, as is the bike. I can run if I want to and NYC will be ok, but take two weeks more or less "off" afterwards. Worst case scenario: I do develop a SFX, which will require a 4-6 week recovery and easing back into things. (Disney is 10 weeks after NYC, so should be ok even if this happens.) Going to the gym tonight... might try a TM run! (and I'll hit the pool afterwards, too)

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - well all of that sounds good?? At least you can run and you haven't been worsening it. I hope you are able to rock NYC! And are able to rest your foot later.
                          MY NEW SHOES ARE COMING TOMORROW!!!! YAYYYYYY that doesnt sound tooo bad erica. You know my motto..Better safe than sorry--be cautious--dont overdo it. Shan--I was gonna mention you should bump up your distance--but didnt think I had the pedigree to offer running advice. But since Erica got you, Im on board.

Oh Mighty Wing

hey i have a plan! i made it the other day and it started yesterday. it is not a coincidence i ran 2 miles 2 days in a row. Black eye i have a gradual building plan so that i'm building my daily runs for a while instead of just 1 or 2 runs. be patient with me - you will see improvement!

Dave

Erika, glad to hear that the news wasn't all bad at the doctors. I know NYC is important to you. I hope the rest does it good and helps you get to the starting line healthier.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Erica - glad it's not too bad, but you still need to be careful. Ran my first double today. Didn't really need to but I did. Tuesday is date/workout night and I wanted to go a bit further than the hour we have permits so I ran this morning. Well, date night rolled around so I picked the TM next to Mrs Inertia and just did three easy miles. I was expecting to be totally torched but I wasn't. So, I have formulated a plan for this week. There will be no speedwork, only an aggressive increase in mileage - as many as I can handle. I'm going to add as many miles as I can take. I'm curious to know what that number is. I'm strong and relaxed and this is the perfect opportunity to make some serious progress. O yea, I've lost 11 pounds in the last 4 weeks. So I'm a stud. Even more than I normally am and that's saying a lot.