Marathon Trainers

10/27-11/2 (Read 337 times)

Bugs

Erika, Good news is no really bad news in this case. Remember your goal, get through NYC without needing crutches. Wink Shan, I've been just itching to give you a lecture too. But I have not even once said that you need to be running at least 30 minutes for it to be aerobic, otherwise it's just huffing and puffing without a good cardiac workout. See I didn't once give you that lecture. Inerita, Great job on the weight loss. You can be our poster "man" for the weight loss thread. Kimmie, How am I going to loose weight? Well tonight I walked by the Star Bucks cookies and said, "F@#$@#$s NO Cookie For You." Then ran 6 miles. Feels really good to have this recovery almost behind me. Looks like I might be able to get a nice base with so many easy and double runs thrown in. Excited to throw in some faster running soon. 14 Days of Streaking!

Bugs

Cashmason

Good job running in the rain Shan. Dave and Kimmie looked great. Erika, if we just get you horizontal in the water, then you will be a triathlete. Welcome to the Dark Side. Little spin class, little weight lifting, and then a sucky half mile swim in the pool, getting ready for the club race this week end. Calf still sore, so no running till race day, and see how it holds out then. Traditional run for this kind of race is a 5k, but since the route around the lake is 3.4 miles or so, thats what the race is. The run is the easy part, its the swim, and not falling off the bike at 37 miles per hour on the last downhill that's hard. Only flat part of this course is in the water.

Oh Mighty Wing

Thank you all for restraining yourselves and not giving me the lecture on more mileage. Yes I realize my 1 milers are piddly and don't mean anything. But they meant alot for me. They helped bring back my desire to run lots and race. And so for that I am thankful. They served their purpose which was to ease me back into it. I am now on a building plan. I hadn't mentioned it before because I really didn't want the guilt that comes with hearing that you all think I should be running more mileage. I am now building so you can all rest assured your subliminal messages were heard and are being dealt with appropriately.

Oh Mighty Wing

Calf still sore, so no running till race day, and see how it holds out then. Traditional run for this kind of race is a 5k, but since the route around the lake is 3.4 miles or so, thats what the race is.
          When did you hurt your calf? I think I might have missed this.
          Kimmie

Erika, Take care and have fun at NYC. I ran that 2 years ago... unbelievable. And I hope the foot cooperates. Shan, nice work on the running... don't ever let anyone else tell you what you "should" be doing running wise... running is supposed to be fun and yes, we want to improve and we want to get the most out of it, but if it isn't fun than what's the point? so, if running low miles made it fun to you, then you're right, it's served a purpose. There is a guy who has posted here and before on coolrunning. His name is LongRun Nick, I think? He has been running for a long time and always has advice for new runners. He basically says that if your goal is to be a lifetime runner, than what's the hurry? Don't burn yourself out. Bugs, I totally am with you on the weight loss effort. I will run today. My toe issue was minor... I did see a doc about it and he drained it. I guess I could have done it myself but I am a wimp. I think running easy today should be fine. thanks for posting the pics of me on the home page, whoever did that. I look a little rough in front of the Capitol. I really did feel good, just don't look it. Smile I found out that a woman that I ran with posts here! so random... she read my race report in the racing forum and asked if I was the girl with KIM on my shirt. Very cool- because I ran a decent amount of miles with her and she was trying to BQ and now I know that she did. Her name is Susan and there's even a pic of the two of us at marathon foto Ok, easy run planned today with a friend who runs 12 min. pace, so it should be perfect to ease back in, although I don't have any problems other than my toe. Smile Good luck this weekend Erika!

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie, oh I remember LongRunNick well! Thank you!

Bugs

Thank you all for restraining yourselves and not giving me the lecture on more mileage. Yes I realize my 1 milers are piddly and don't mean anything. But they meant alot for me. They helped bring back my desire to run lots and race. And so for that I am thankful. They served their purpose which was to ease me back into it. I am now on a building plan. I hadn't mentioned it before because I really didn't want the guilt that comes with hearing that you all think I should be running more mileage. I am now building so you can all rest assured your subliminal messages were heard and are being dealt with appropriately.
                I wouldn't say the 1 milers don't mean anything. In fact they probably are loosening up your legs for another run. For sure you’re burning ~100 calories. But for most people the first 1-2 miles are much harder. The first 20 minutes of a run is anaerobic, not as efficient as aerobic workout. I think WE all agree that if you could build your aerobic fitness to say comfortably up to 5 miles you would enjoy your running more. You're pretty young, you should be able to do this. I resisted saying anything because I know you want to get pregnant and thought maybe your doctor gave you advice?? We don't mean to lecture you, but we've got some miles and years of experience and want to help you. Like all forums the advice may be good/bad, right or not right for you and pick and choose from it.

Bugs

Dave

I am now building so you can all rest assured your subliminal messages were heard and are being dealt with appropriately.
                  Sorry, Shan. We can't help that we have confidence in you Blush Feeling better today. Actually packed some workout clothes to work today. No running but may stretch, lift, and elliptical.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

I know you guys all care. And my goal is to build up to 5-6 mpd by the end of december. I fall out of shape fast so I just wanted to build really slowly and carefully after being off for 1.5 months. I couldn't even ask my doctor my questions because after the first questions she was like - look your young, most young people get pregnant within 1 year of trying, so just relax and go have fun. So then I didn't ask any more questions because she wasn't really open to discussing them with me. I saved questions since May... So i think i'm gonna change doctors - but the one I called was like well call back when you are pregnant. So i'm just not caring I guess. Anyway, I'm back to running, I'm building slowly. I now have a plan - I was just waiting till I felt like I wanted a plan before sticking myself on one. So hopefully my mileage will increase and all will be good.
                    evanflein

Shan, definitely time for a new doctor! That one obviously had other things more important than listening to you. I remember LongRunNick! Awesome guy, had like 64,000 miles under his belt or something like that. His focus wasn't on low mileage, in fact he could rack up quite a few miles in a week. His thing was telling people to slow down because most new runners start out too fast, get injured and then become members of the biggest running club out there... the "I used to run but it was too hard" or "I just got hurt and can't run anymore." Good advice, and a good reminder even for those of us who've been running a long time. I did run last night... 4.5 miles and it felt hard. Like I couldn't get my breathing right, legs felt heavy, back hurt... blah, blah, blah. Sure hope that was just the "getting back to running" stiffness getting worked out. The back issue was a concern... haven't done anything I can think of to hurt my back, except maybe too much sitting... Dave, I always think bringing the gear along is the first step. Leaves your options open for a workout of some sort later on.

Bugs

Biospy in the neck sucks BIG TIME. I am not suppose to run today. Sad

Bugs

Dave

Dave, I always think bringing the gear along is the first step. Leaves your options open for a workout of some sort later on.
                          You're right on that one. Ran a mile on the treadmill. Was going to quit after 2 minutes and pushed through. And 10 minutes on the elliptical too. Is anyone else sort of disturbed by how fresh Kimmie looked in that finish line picture? MTA: Damn, Bugs. So sorry. Glad its behind you. Now you need to get the good news that its benign.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

{{Bugs' Pain In The Neck}}
                            Cashmason

Shan, you are one of us. There is nothing piddly about a 1 miler. Shan, I hurt the calf about 6 weeks ago. Partially torn muscle. Had a half marathon I wanted to run. Didnt run at all fora month. Ran the Half. Set a PR. Hurt it again at mile 9 durning the half and slowed down a lot the last 4 miles. Not been doing much running since then. Erika, From the Tri boards on Kick. There is an orothopedic doctor/ runner/ triathlete who has graciously set up a thread for medical questions. From that Thread: Dave, metarsalgia can occur at the 2nd metatarsal when it bears more weight than it is designed to handle. It can be helped by metatarsal pads that help distribute your weight more evenly and by limiting high impact exercise. Try this link for more info http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metatarsalgia/DS00496 Am sure you have researched the heck out of this and know it all already, but just in case, I wanted to pass it along.

Bugs

{{Bugs' Pain In The Neck}}
                                LOL. The worst part was he's ready to put the needle in after freaken me out about hitting a blood vessel and he says that if it was his neck he would just wait two months because he thinks it is nothing. I said, "get it done the deductable is paid, I'm not paying for "nothing" next year." Oh and I am running jogging my one mile tonight.

Bugs