Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/26 (Read 314 times)

Happy Camper

Back from Dallas. Had some nice early morning runs on the Katy before meetings. I got one hell of a workout on the stairs very early Thursday morning before I gave up, went back down them and just used the friggin elevator. Didn't help that when asked by others if I was ok, I told them yes, I just needed to find Helen Keller. (Her photo hung on the wall right next to my hotel room) Oh debauchery. Blush Pam: Awesome pics.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

haha Pace that's funn! Glad you are home.
        Thanks Lou, Cash and Pace Smile Hope everyone has a great weekend and some great runs!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

hey you all.... Hope everyone enjoys this weekend. It's gorgeous here... a little cold. Ran 12.5 miles this am.... my legs just wouldn't loosen up. seriously tight. Need to get on the stretching again. Have a good one.

Oh Mighty Wing

so Kimmie any big plans this weekend???? Wink Sorry your legs wouldn't loosen up. 10 miles... i can't wait till i'm running that most days... what a nice distance... So I went to the running store for the group run. There were 2 other people THAT'S IT! And they were 8mm guys so I told them to go off and enjoy their run. It took me a while to find my groove as this was my nightmare about going to the group run, but I had secretly mapped a route the day before so I knew where to go to get the mileage I wanted. Really it turned into a very very enjoyable run!!
              Couple of nice double-digit runs for Kimmie and Shan this morning. I had a motivation problem after about 8 -- almost decided to put this off until next week, but continued and now it's in the books. I knew if I stopped it would have been out of sheer laziness. 20.1 miles, 2:56:28, 8:45/mi, AHR 150 (75% MHR) Progression targets 5@9:30, 10@9:05, 5@8:40, actual pace(HR) 9:20(144), 8:45(149), 8:11(159).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Lou, I think you need to adjust your targets... 8:11 was way off from plan but how did it feel? When I was doing this stuff last year for Boston, Breger told me he thought I should adjust my goal pace... down. So I did, and it went pretty well. I think you're sandbagging your targets! Smile Nice 10, Shan. And yes, that's always the risk with group runs. Glad to see you had a plan and carried it out. Kimmie, what's the tightness? Need a massage? 12.5 on tight legs doesn't sound fun. Hi Pace! Funny story... DH and I frequently take the stairs to our room if it's not too many floors. People look at us like we're nuts. And well, we may be... but not cuz we take stairs! Nice photos Pam. I miss having horses... are those yours? I'll head out for a run later. Waiting for it to warm up a bit. I'd like at least -15 today... Maybe by mid-afternoon, want to finish 10 before it gets dark.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - yeah that's why i kept putting off going to it because I knew there was a GOOD chance I would be outpaced. But i'm hoping that if I keep showing up someday others in my range will to - or better yet one day i'll be able to hang with the fastest guys. Wink Either way now that i've done it by myself there is no reason to not do it over and over again.
                    Erika - I felt fine. My problem is I always try to beat the target pace. Seriously, the Pfitz targets are MP+20%, MP+15, MP+10 and that does seem slow so I do push them a bit. Probably not a good idea as maybe I flirt with injury because of this, but even the faster pace is slower than I have trained before so I think I'll be ok. My MP is targeted at 8:00, which I have not attained yet (3:30 'thon).

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey guys, First, my apologies for joining the group and then acting like I didn't. Me joining coincided with some weird knee issues and so I went 5 days or so without a run and had nothing to post except what would have sounded like a bunch of whining because I've been so -- AAAAGGGHHHH -- about the knee. Didn't feel the need to bother you guys with it, and thanks for allowing that short little mini-vent. Anyway, ran a couple miles Thursday and then 4.2 today. I'm very slow compared to you guys, but the knee felt pretty good during the run and I put ice on it when I got home. I found out there may be an opening at the Myrtle Beach half and don't know how ready I'd be cardio wise and knee wise to run 13+ in 2 weeks. Thoughts?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

very slow compared to who??? And sure you could run 13!!! I mean you already have!!! And vent whenever you want!
                          ty66 - you need to decide if you're up to it. You can also do it as a training run if you don't feel ready to race it. I just realized my month is a PR at 239.3 miles, and the past 7 days are most likely a PR at 71.8 miles -- I hardly ever run long on Saturday, so that's why the PR (I get long from last Sunday and from today). Cool.

Oh Mighty Wing

WRFB - nice run! Nice month PR!! That's awesome!!!! YOU ROCK!!!

Bugs

ty66, Why not run half easy, half without whatever you got. Sometimes we all need to just run, put ourselves out there and not wait for the perfect day to race, assuming your knee is up for it. And you're welcome to whine here, let me show you how it is done. I WANT TO THROW MY RUNNING SHOES AGAINST THE WALL AND SCREAM AND CRY MY EYES OUT.

Bugs

Cause I CAN

ty66 - you need to decide if you're up to it. You can also do it as a training run if you don't feel ready to race it. I just realized my month is a PR at 239.3 miles, and the past 7 days are most likely a PR at 71.8 miles -- I hardly ever run long on Saturday, so that's why the PR (I get long from last Sunday and from today). Cool.
                                congrats, thats awesome! Update on my marathon that was supposed to happen in March. I am dropping to the half. They allowed me to start running again and I'm back up to 3 miles. I am doing the ING Atlanta Half March 29th. Hope everyones year is off to a good start.
                                Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                                http://terri7291.blogspot.com/