Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-30 (Read 351 times)

JF - can we still call you Shan? Smile I hope you got to sleep, but if you didn't don't worry, it's a well known fact that you can run a great marathon when sleep-deprived. And you did get a bunch of sleep on the flight so no worries. You're going to do great, and I know you'll have fun!
    Cash: Opera. I must have that look on my face now that I see on some other's faces when I tell them I have to pay money to do some of the runs I do.
    I have to admit I am having the same reaction. Kind of reminds me of the monty python sketch: Mrs Confusion: Busy day? Mrs Premise: Busy! I’ve just spent four hours burying the cat. Mrs Confusion: Four hours to bury a cat? Mrs Premise: Yes, it wouldn’t keep still; wriggling about, howling. Mrs Confusion: So it’s not dead then. Mrs Premise: No, but it’s not at all a well cat. So as we’re going away for a fortnight we thought we’d better bury it to be on the safe side. Mrs Confusion: Quite right. You don’t want to come back from Sorrento to a dead cat, do you? MTA: Where is everyone? Little tempo run today: 8.1 miles, 1:02:37, 7:42/mi, AHR 164 (84% MHR) 3@8:02(151), 4@7:14(171), 1.14@8:24(165)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Lou - you can call me Shan if you'd like Smile Although JF is pretty fun! haha Nice Tempo run today! And i'm here. debating on if my singlet will be too much or not. It's supposed to be high 40's low 50's during the race which makes me think i'll be ok in the singlet, but the full on sunshine might mean it's not ok. oh decisions decisions... and I hope some nice person will body glide my back so my water pack doesn't chaff me - especially since i'll have to wear it again next weekend. So yeah, I'm here and just going through my pre-race rituals! Hope you all have an awesome day!!! I'll check in again when I reach Tahoe.
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Wait - Jellyfish is Shan? Ok. This week was a bit more of a cutback than planned due to some bad luck and bad planning. I'll run for an hour today and an hour tomorrow. I'm trying to be mentally ok with that. I know on some level this isn't going to hurt me at all - maybe even the opposite. It's just hard to see low numbers in the log and not get panicky.

Bugs

WRFB, Awesome run. Shan, Good Luck Inertia, you're doing great. I still don't know what to do for a watch. I'm tempted to buy Garmin 405 but I really could use things like new carpet, or a dining room table as thinks are to look like crap. Not sure I will run long today or not, feeling lazy.

Bugs

Kimmie

I hear you on the debate, Bugs. My Garmin is the cheapy original one... can't bring myself to spend more on the nicer/ newer versions. Have a wonderful time Shan. I saw your pics on FB and I'm jealous... Smile in a nice way, of course,... San Fran is so beautiful. Didn't run yesterday, did spin instead. Debating on running today or not. I usually don't run the day before a bigger race, but I don't like taking two days off in a row. Shins feel better, but we also are crammed today with kids activities. So, we'll see... today there are 50 mph gusts of wind... which makes soccer interesting... but I just checked the weather and it's supposed to be cool but not windy tomorrow for the race, which is good. Lou- how did the beer turn out? Mr. I- don't get panicky on the #s on your log- It's your body and your training- you know what you're doing. Even though I didn't run this morning because of early morning soccer, I drove right by where my group meets at the W& OD trail... not a single parking spot- even in the grass. Looks like there's a high school group meeting there as well. So, future Saturdays will be either, get there early, or run from my house to the trail. It's a good problem to have- I love seeing kids run.
              MrI - I took a peek at your log and I agree with the others -- your last month has been astounding and your 4 months prior to that have been solid as well. Kimmie - we won't know how the beer turned out for another 5 or 6 weeks. The yeast has to do their thing: eat the sugars and burp CO2 and pee ethanol, as well as give some flavor characteristics. This is so long because it's a lager, and lagers ferment at lower temps so the yeast works slower than ales (which can go from grain to glass in 2 weeks or so).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

So I also peeked at MrI's PR's. You are going to CRUSH your PR's at marathon and HM. Absolutely CRUSH them. Have you considered a HM just as a test spin?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

First 20-miler of the year. 3:28:14. Pace average was within guidlines for 4 hour M. Just ran the last 3-miles ultra slow. Felt okay, just couldn't keep the HR up and the push going. I'll take it considering I finished last night's 11-miler around 7:00pm and starting today's 20 just before 6:00am. If it's not raining tomorrow I think I'll do some single track trails.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Nice run you got in today Lou! I agree with the others Mr. I! I think you should be racing by now if so Enjoy Shan Smile Good luck tomorrow with your race Kimmie!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Feel free to take the day off if you feel like it. Hays in the barn anyhows Smile Nice 20 miler Pace!! Well I had a GREAT time today running the 10 mile race with my friend. Her goal was to get 1:30 (last year she did 1:46 on this course) Well not only did she get under 1:30 but she CRUSHED IT!! 1:28:06 was her official time and I think if it wasn't as windy as it was I'm sure she could of gotten close to 1:26. I was a little worried about how I was going to feel since I've been feeling a bit run down. I'm pretty sure my body is fighting off what my DH and now my dd has so I'm really psyched at how easy and good todays run felt. I had a hard time staying awake for the drive home so maybe I'll get a nap in at some point today. Hope everyone is having a great Saturday Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

Nice runs everyone. And a very nice 20, P2R. Beautiful Saturday here. Did a two mile warm up run with DD11 (pushing DD4 in a jog stroller). Then back out for 5.5 @ 8:21 pace (147 AHR). I'm planning on going long tomorrow. If I go 16, it will be my first 40 mile week since back in late February. Murphy, the Pig is starting to look like an outside possibility.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I officially signed up for the Pig last week--the full. Would be great to see you there, Dave. It is a fun race. Im starting to really look forward to it. Also I head to Vegas the day after the Pig for work. Great 20 miler P2R!! Especially following an 11 miler last night. Going to run about 8 tonight..havent decided on what to do tomorrow yet. My back has been really acting up the past couple days. Normally it loosens when I run. I will see how it reacts tonight. I like training on a loose schedule. Having gotten in the 16 miler during the week was good, and doesnt make me feel like I **have** to get a long Sunday run in. Im sure I'll at least get double digits in tomorrow, and will be over 40 miles following up the 50 mile week. If Im really ambitious, I could hit 50 again..but I'll just go by feel.
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Have you considered a HM just as a test spin?
                          Last shot at a HM would have been today and I had to work. I've got a 10 miler in a few weeks. Ran for an hour today. Today would have been a good day to crush my 5k PR. My legs felt light and fast but don't think they would have been rested enough for the endurance of a longer race. Just an hour easy tomorrow and then push for a few more weeks and it's taper time.

Bugs

Kim, You have a race? Lots of people do really well by taking a rest day two days before the race off, and running the day off. I guess it's a Japanese thing to run 20 minute warm-up and 1km FAST running + 10 cool down the day before. Quick Post: I'm pist and frustrated. I was first told that my long runs should be ran better, whatever that means, then told Lydiard way you run long slow. Then I was told to do hills on Tuesday, Intevals on Thursday, and go ahead and run those long runs HARD, again whatever that means. I replied that couldn't train that way, it was too much. So what did I do today, I tried to run 18 miles HARD. I wasn't even feeling like running, but there is 6-9 inches of snow coming. So in my wind pants, and I don't really like running in them because I think they shorten my stride I ran 13 miles avg 9:00 pace. That's hard on a day "I" don't feel like running. Plus I did not have time to drop off water, so I ran five miles with my sons's little Cat in the Hat backpack carrying two bottles of water. (Oh and hair freshly cut looked great, but I wanted a hat and all I had was the one I had previously blown my nose into..and I wore it, nice I know...go ahead and chuckle, I'm all business when it comes to gear.) I ended feeling like my legs were tired, my back sore, and my internal organs...oh man you don't even want to know about that. I got to 14.5 miles and was DONE. It's not like I got progressively slower, I was actually running 8:00-8:25 miles quite easily, but more like I just ran out of gas. I just don't believe these long runs should leave you frustrated. Pleasantly tired yes, good workout yes, but wanting to burn your running shoes NO. I just don't know where I'm at. It's weird, because I feel like I'm getting faster, and may do rather well if I was running a half marathon but worried about my endurance. I really think, I have to put my foot down (pun there) and run three hours nice and EASY. I give Dave and Erika credit for being able to crank our a crazy fast long run. The best I've ever done is progressive and I felt so much better training that way. Our other squabble is the taper for Fargo marathon. I want to only taper two weeks since it is just a long run in training. I've also only ran up to 17 miles so far, and quite frankly that run sucked too. I wish Fargo was one of those hot marathons where people hand out beer.

Bugs

6.1 miles, 8:06 average pace. I'll call it a tempo effort, even though my mile splits were all over the place depending on the terrain. But I managed to hold a pretty good pace on some of the uphills, which was nice. Good luck, Shannon. What's the URL of your race? (yes, I could look it up...)
                              Nice run Erika! Oh and here ya go http://www.envirosports.com/events/event.php?eventid=2562 Big grin Looks like Shan had some hills for breakfast

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs, did you run anything after your last long run??? If you didn't I'm sure that had alot to do with it as well as the fact that you are just recovering from being sick. I think you shouldn't worry too much about getting a hard and fast 18 miler in before getting some faster shorter runs in and some nice and easy long runs in. Sorry to hear your so frustrated!