Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

Looking for a good pale ale recipe, extract partial boil, anyone have anything to share? Looking at HBT recipe db also..

Do you like your pales hoppy?  If not and you just want a nice session pale make sure that you also check the British Pale recipes (assume you are checking American Ales).  Can't beat a good bitter.  I am brewing one this weekend as a matter of fact.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Galaxy Wheat - 11 quarts

3 1/2 lbs US 2 Row

2 lb Wheat malt

1/2 lb Flaked rye

1/4 lb CaraRye

Galaxy hops 14% AA - times added

1/4 oz first wort

1/4 oz 60 min

1/4 oz 15 min

1/4 oz 10 min

1/4 oz 5 min

3/4 oz flameout

One smack pack Wyeast  2565 (Kolsch)

Just bottled it and damn if it did not come out tasty.  Galaxy may very well be my favorite hop.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Just bottled it and damn if it did not come out tasty.  Galaxy may very well be my favorite hop.

Galaxy....wheat....I am sold.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

OK.  So I brewed yesterday.  Here's how it went.

My first brew.  Damn, three years ago already.

So my 50th birthday is real soon and I figured that I would celebrate by having friends and family over for a brew day on Saturday.  It just so happens that this will be my 50th batch of beer so the theme is "50 years, 50 beers".  The brew will be a Best Bitter.  I brewed this same recipe last year and it came out nicely.

I am expecting a few more people this time than normally show up.  Besides home brews, I anticipate many bombers being passed around.  Hopefully I will not crash untappd.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

...  It just so happens that this will be my 50th batch of beer so the theme is "50 years, 50 beers".... Hopefully I will not crash untappd.

Wow, 50 batches in 3 years takes dedication.  I am impressed.

As for crashing Untappd, no worries.  I have quite a stock of bottles on the counter to enter as most nights it does not seem to function after 5pm anyways.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Wow, 50 batches in 3 years takes dedication.  I am impressed.

Thanks.  Most of them are stove top batches which yield a case or so.  I have a good system down pat for those and it really is not that difficult.  Since I started doing the small batches I only do 4 - 5 of the 5 gallon batches per year.  Those are out in the garage and usually evolve into beer sharing events with friends.

Not at it at all. 

So my 50th birthday is real soon and I figured that I would celebrate by having friends and family over for a brew day on Saturday.  It just so happens that this will be my 50th batch of beer so the theme is "50 years, 50 beers".  The brew will be a Best Bitter.  I brewed this same recipe last year and it came out nicely.

I am expecting a few more people this time than normally show up.  Besides home brews, I anticipate many bombers being passed around.  Hopefully I will not crash untappd.

Nice theme! and impressive milestone.

Get off my porch

Nice, 50th batch on 50th bday, pretty cool, I turned 50 this year, just brewed my 200 gallon, Cream Ale recently, just ordered Sierra Madre Pale Ale from Northern Brewer, I do extract.

Prince of Fatness

Recipe for the bitter....

10 pounds Maris Otter

Toast one pound of the malt at 250 for 25 minutes and another quarter pound at 350 for 30 minutes.  Stir the malt at the halfway point.  I do this several days before brewing.

East Kent Golding hops 5.2% AA

1/2 oz first wort

1/2 oz 60 min

1/2 oz 30 min

1/2 oz 15 min

1/2 oz 5 min

1 oz flameout

Wyeast London ESB Yeast (1968), pitch 1 quart starter the night before

Mash for an hour at 152.  Boil for an hour.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Ferment for ~3 weeks then package.  Low carbonation is key for this style

This recipe is so simple yet so good, a nice session bitter.  The yeast is a Fuller's strain, love working with that one.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I must say ... that was some party.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I got some Galaxy hops that I am excited to use.  I want a hoppy beer but I am also thinking wheat.  So my next beer that I will brew soon will be....

Galaxy Wheat - 11 quarts

3 1/2 lbs US 2 Row

2 lb Wheat malt

1/2 lb Flaked rye

1/4 lb CaraRye

Galaxy hops 14% AA - times added

1/4 oz first wort

1/4 oz 60 min

1/4 oz 15 min

1/4 oz 10 min

1/4 oz 5 min

3/4 oz flameout

One smack pack Wyeast  2565 (Kolsch)

Got my first taste of this over the past weekend.  Damn is it ever tasty.

Also just bottled the Birthday Bitter this evening.  The sample was real good.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

My daughter is having a baby in June and my son in law and I are going to brew a milk stout (Mother's Milk Stout, heh) to give as gifts instead of cigars.  In stead of labels my wife will make cards which we will attach with ribbon around the neck of the bottle.  I will post a picture when we do it, a couple of months.

My son in law came over last night and we bottled up the Mother's Milk Stout.  OG 1.059, FG 1.023.  This will be a sweet 4.75% stout.  The higher FG does not worry me considering the half pound of lactose that I added during the boil.

No cards designed yet but the due date is late June so there is still time.

Not at it at all. 

gusgordon

My son in law came over last night and we bottled up the Mother's Milk Stout.  OG 1.059, FG 1.023.  This will be a sweet 4.75% stout.  The higher FG does not worry me considering the half pound of lactose that I added during the boil.

No cards designed yet but the due date is late June so there is still time.

Nice.

What are your thoughts on adding lactose to a non-stout style to improve mouthfeel?  I don't know if I've ever had any other style with lactose, but I was thinking the silky mouthfeel could be interesting in a moderately hopped rye pale ale.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Three Floyds does that with some of their bottles. This, for example, I believe. An IPA with lactose. Interesting.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Home from work on a dreary day so I decided to brew.  This time it is a Scottish Light and I am trying a little experiment.  After the mash I took two quarts of the first runnings and boiled them down to a syrupy consistency.  I am most of the way through the boil now and I will add the concoction back in with 10 minutes left.   Hoping for about 4% ABV or a little under.

MTA: OG was 1.037, so this should come in between 3.5 and 4% when all is said and done.

Here is a picture of the syrup simmering...

In hand, thank! Slight smoke, big malts, smooth, drinks like a wine almost. Thanks Finn!