Brew day !

Turbid Mash - use for Lambic style or coolship

Grain bill:
    - 5.25 lbs. German Pilsener
    - 2.75 lbs. White Wheat

Hops Bill:
    - 3.00 oz. Hallertauer Select or Saaz @ 45 min

Procedure:

- Mash in 4 gallons spring water at 118°F to get to 113°F (2.0 quarts/lb) x 20 minutes
    - Pull off 3 gallons and heat to boil
    - Add back 4 quarts starchy wort to get to 136°F x 5 minutes
    - Add back 6 quarts starchy wort to get to 150°F x 30 minutes
    - Add back 5 quarts starchy wort to get to 162°F x 30 minutes
    - Add 5 quarts boiling water to get to 167°F
    - Heat sparge water to 185°F
    - Sparge over 90 minutes to ~9 gallons of 1.024 runnings collected
    - Boil wort with hops x last 45 minutes to target 6 gallons at SG 1.048

I plan to let this cool outside in an open vessel and sit for a couple days. Nights in the high 30s/low 40s. Spontaneous wild ale, baby! This turbid mash method will leave lots of complex starches for the wild ales that any sacch that hits it won't be able to touch. Ferment/age 1-3 years and then maybe fruit the stuff with a local fruit...

I'd drink that.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would not commit until we see what actually starts fermenting it...

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I would not commit until we see what actually starts fermenting it...

I'm adventurous.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Come to me ye wild bugs...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We have krausen this morning!!

Prince of Fatness

No picture?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is coming. I had to run out and get the kiddos to school. Should be able to get it shortly

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Prince of Fatness

So, now that something is in there working away, will you seal it or leave it open?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is now covered, but the seal was not particularly airtight. Once the major foaming is done I will move it into a carboy with an airlock. Some folks indeed keep the entire primary fermentation open but at this point it is inside in the bathroom bathtub to catch in the runoff and I don't particularly feel like exposing it to whatever is in there.

Prince of Fatness

I agree covered is fine.  Honestly when vigorous fermentation is going on there really no need to seal it.  Just covering it is fine.  So much gassing off that it is nearly impossible for something bad to get down in there.  Once it slows then there is the potential for stuff to get drawn in especially with temperature changes so sealing with an airlock makes sense then.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

It's standard practice in winemaking to do primary fermentation (~80% of sugar) in an loosely covered or cloth covered container, racking under an airlock just before rapid fermentation slows down.  Biochemically you can end up with a better product by providing a bit of oxygen to the yeast this way as they stay healthier.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think this is truewith any type of traditional brewing, whether it be wine or beer.  these days, most brewing starts in a large stainless steel tank.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just took a reading, SG = 1.030 (from 1.058 after brew day) with active fizzing in the hygrometer tube, thick stable krazen over wort