Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

Hey Finn, do you take requests? The talk of coffee beers got me thinking. I'd like to propose a Cafe Au Lait Porter. It would be a milk porter brewed with coffee and chicory.

MTA: Preferably served with beignets :-)

Thinking that my next Porter will be a Baltic one. Really don't want lactose in it. Could be talked into adding coffee to it. And cinnamon perhaps. Hmmm.

It needs to ferment on the cool side so it won't happen until next year.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thinking that my next Porter will be a Baltic one. Really don't want lactose in it. Could be talked into adding coffee to it. And cinnamon perhaps. Hmmm.

It needs to ferment on the cool side so it won't happen until next year.

I'd drink that. 

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

WhoDat, once we get through C-R's beer class, we should think about the next step.  I will not have time in the foreseeable future to make the jump into beermaking on my own, both due to the research on how to do it right and getting all of the equipment together.

However, I already have a LOT of the necessary equipment as it overlaps with winemaking.  And I have the space, and temp control if needed (I have the kegerator plus a dedicated alcohol making fridge in the shop).  In other words, a group effort is not out of the question.  What better excuse to get together and drink beer, than making beer.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Research? Just make it!

Prince of Fatness

It is about to begin. Based on the Hunahpu's recipe from Wayne Wamble, a dark chocolate spiced imperial stout.

Grain bill:
              - 17.1 lbs 2 row
              - 3.1 lbs roasted barley
              - 0.3 lbs black patent barley
              - 2.1 lbs chocolate malt
              - 1.6 lbs cara 60% malt
              - 1.2 lbs cara 120% malt
              - 2.4 lbs munich 20% malt
              - 1.2 lbs flaked barley

Hops bill:
              - 2 oz first gold for 60 minutes
              - 3 oz fuggles for 20 minutes

Yeast: Thames Valley by Wyeast or WLP029 [using White Labs Dry English Ale, WLP007]

Adjunct Bill:
              - 1/2 lb. crushed cacao nibs
              - 1 split open Ancho pepper
              - 1 split open Pasilla pepper
              - 2 split and scraped vanilla beans
              - 5 small cinnamon sticks

Mash in 8.5 gallons at 110°. Triple decoction mash with boilings close to 30-40 minutes:

- Acid rest 97° x 90 minutes
              - Protein rest 122-133° x 85 minutes
              - Saccrification rest 149-158° x 65 minutes

Sparge with first runnings at 19 plato. Then boil the shit out of it till you hit 26.9 plato.

Pitch a two liter starter using yeast nutrients and energizer, oxygenate with pure O2 (or vigorous agitation) for one minute at 70°.

Use a blowoff tube to starsan setup and ferment at 65° for 3 weeks.

After 3 weeks, pitch adjuncts. Let sit an additional 2 weeks, then rack to a bottling bucket for bottles (3/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water simple syrup) or keg set to 10 psi at 40°. for 3 weeks.

This is for a 5.5 gallon batch.

This was very good.

Not at it at all. 

Not_Race_Coach

'15 Forumite of the Year

You have a lot more funk growing in your wild than in mine.

...this post has been brought to you by gossip websites and whiskey.

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

So this coming Saturday marks the 5th anniversary of this, my first batch of beer.  I guess that I am no longer a newb.  Gonna have to drink a homebrew to celebrate.

things at the UF house that have made it into the wort: water from the hose (stupid hoseclamps on the wort chiller), dirty frying pan. neither of those batches turned on me miraculously.

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
                  what comes in bottles or in cans?
                  BEER!"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was on the road yesterday. I received this text message from my 16 year old daughter -

Feeling the growl again

lolz

I was on the road yesterday. I received this text message from my 16 year old daughter -

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Not_Race_Coach

'15 Forumite of the Year

Well, yes and no....

...this post has been brought to you by gossip websites and whiskey.

Prince of Fatness

Grapefruit Citra IPA

I have a few ideas for adding citrus zest so this is sort of a test run.  Not sure how much flavor I will get from the grapefruit zest.  The Citra hops may dominate.  Or, the hop flavor may be enhanced.  Either way I love Citra hops so I am thinking that this will be good.

Just got done bottling this. The grapefruit is easily distinguishable. I am very pleased with this. I think that I got myself a bitter grapefruit bomb. FG 1.011.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Just got done bottling this. The grapefruit is easily distinguishable. I am very pleased with this. I think that I got myself a bitter grapefruit bomb. FG 1.011.

Can't wait to try this. How does it compare to something like GFJ?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

Can't wait to try this. How does it compare to something like GFJ?

Not sure if GFJ has any actual grapefruit in it.  I'd have to do a side by side.  With mine tho I can positively say that I was getting grapefruit flavor from the zest.  My wife said the same, and she generally is not very good at picking flavors out in a beer.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Not sure if GFJ has any actual grapefruit in it.  I'd have to do a side by side.  With mine tho I can positively say that I was getting grapefruit flavor from the zest.  My wife said the same, and she generally is not very good at picking flavors out in a beer.

That's true. GFJ gets its grapefruit flavors just from the hops rather than any zest. I don't know what hops GFJ uses, so it may not even use citra hops.

Is it maybe like a Zombie Dust with a grapefruit kicker? Lots of citra in ZD.