Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

You have my address.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Hey Finn, do you take requests? The talk of coffee beers got me thinking. I'd like to propose a Cafe Au Lait Porter. It would be a milk porter brewed with coffee and chicory.

MTA: Preferably served with beignets :-)

I keep changing my mind on the porter that I am doing later this year.  I think that I have it now.  How about an imperial rye porter aged with oak cubes soaked in Michter's Single Barrel Straight Rye?  Sounds yummy to me.  Maybe in the fall.  Hopefully there is still some Michter's left by then.

I'm thinking sooner that I need to do another Wee Heavy.  I am just about out of the one that I did with Glen Livet.  Thinking of doing a peat smoked one this time.  Gonna do that one in a month or so.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Planning to make me an Old Ale with Rye, to age in my rye barrel after taking out the barley wine.

Targets:
        - Batch Size: 5.50 gal
        - Boil Size: 6.30 gal
        - Sparge size: 3.9 gal
        - Estimated OG: 1.092 (1.102 with rye)
        - Estimated FG: 1.023 (1.028 with rye)
        - Estimated ABV: 9% (10% with rye)
        - Estimated IBU: 49.4 IBU
        - Efficiency: 75 %
        - Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain bill:
        - 16 lb Breiss Pale Malt 84.2%
        - 2 lb Weyermann Rye 10.6%
        - 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 2.6%
        - 4 oz Chocolate Malt 1.3%
        - 4 oz Dark Crystal Malt 1.3%
        Total Grain Weight: 19.00 lb

Hops / Adjuncts Bill:
        - 3 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 28.2 IBU
        - 1.5 oz Fuggles [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
        - 1 oz Fuggles [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
        - 1 lb Molasses (60 min)

Yeast:
        - English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

My math (Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2; r is ratio of water to grain in quarts/lb
        - for r = 1.25 = x/19; x = 24 quarts = 6 gallons
        = (.2/1.25)(155 - 65) + 155
        = (0.16 x 90) + 155
        = 169.4 degrees (6 gallons for 19 lbs grain)

Mash Schedule:
        - Single Infusion @ 155F x 60 min

Prince of Fatness

When are you brewing? Post pictures.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Prob in a week and a half

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

You have my address.

And mine as well.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I keep changing my mind on the porter that I am doing later this year.  I think that I have it now.  How about an imperial rye porter aged with oak cubes soaked in Michter's Single Barrel Straight Rye?  Sounds yummy to me.  Maybe in the fall.  Hopefully there is still some Michter's left by then.

I'm thinking sooner that I need to do another Wee Heavy.  I am just about out of the one that I did with Glen Livet.  Thinking of doing a peat smoked one this time.  Gonna do that one in a month or so.

I'd definitely drink both of those. A rye porter sounds very yummy and that scotch oaked wee heavy you did was awesome.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

Not to be outdone by Monkey Man, on Saturday I'll be brewing my first 5 gallon batch of the year.  Going with a witbier.  Coriander and orange zest will be added.

Tracy's Wit

5.5 lbs US 2 Row Malt

3.0 lbs Wheat Malt

1.0 lbs Flaked Wheat

1.0 lbs Flaked Oat

Hops all Sterling (8% AA)

.75 oz 60 mins

Adjuncts

Zest of 2 oranges add to mash

Zest of 2 oranges add at flameout

1 oz crushed coriander add at flameout

Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier (blowoff tube mandatory with this yeast, 1 quart starter)

Mash 152 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

The name is such because my brother, Tracy, has been hounding me to make a fruit beer.  He's a witty guy so a little play on words there.  I may be a little heavy handed with the adjuncts but I really am looking for a lot of orange citrus flavor so I'll deal.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

10.5 lbs.

how cute

Prince of Fatness

Dude, low abv craft beers have their place.  Don't be a hater.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Come to me ye wild bugs...

2 months in -

Very mild flavor and aroma, with characters of phenolics, mushrooms and mustiness. Not very tart tasting.

Prince of Fatness

I liked it, but there was a bit of underlying sweetness that kept me from really liking it.

I really do appreciate getting to try these.

Having one now. Thinking your sweetness might be from the zest. Quite honestly I think that it is quite bitter. I'm really liking it.  This will be brewed again.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Having one now. Thinking your sweetness might be from the zest. Quite honestly I think that it is quite bitter. I'm really liking it.  This will be brewed again.

It's entirely possible that I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

Prince of Fatness

Had a fun afternoon Saturday brewing the wit.  The oranges that Mrs Finn bought at the store were small so I went with an extra one at flame out.  There was definitely some good orange flavor in the sample.  With all of the wheat I was concerned about a stuck sparge but that went pretty well.  I replaced the hose braid inside the cooler so that may have helped.  I did not use any rice hulls.

Oh, and Whodat, the grapefruit IPA got rave reviews.  Heh heh.

Not at it at all.