Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

Cold brewed coffee and hot brewed coffee are two different things with different flavor profiles. This stuff is yummy, rich and sweet, and should go nicely with the rest of the beer. Plus, the hot brew process is more antiseptic than cold brewed.

True tho I would prefer less bitter.  I add the cold brewed stuff right when I turn off the burner so it at least gets pasteurized if not more.  But yeah good coffee is also key. There is a local roaster not far from me and I always go there for my coffee when using in a beer.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Trent are you going to agree this one in mud? Because that one was awesome.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Interesting.  Wonder if I could use a small crock pot to do this.

http://www.newschoolbeer.com/2015/06/how-kettle-souring-is-making-sour-beer-cheap-and-affordable.html

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Huge debates on that method on some wild brewing forums. You can use a crock pot for a small batch. Better to put your steel pot into your oven on a warming setting or get an immersion circulator.

Prince of Fatness

Was thinking crock pot so I don't tie up the oven for a day or so. Also don't feel like buying anything. The article seemed to indicate that flavor profile would not be complex but for a simple Berliner might be fun to try. Thinking I could just use DME for the sour part.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That's fine, but the idea is to sour the entire batch and then boil, hop and pitch. You don't sour just a portion.

Prince of Fatness

I thought that the idea is to brew something that tastes good. 

Anyway brewing a sour is nothing that I will try soon. Too many other ideas in my head.  Maybe when I am ready this debate will be over. Thinking that the crockpot might actually be too hot so the partial method may not work for me anyway.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you sour a gallon and add it to 4-5 gallons of a standard wort, you will substantially dilute the sour. And so what is the point?

If you only want to brew a total volume enough to fill the crock pot, say a 1 gallon batch, then using DME and it won't taste good.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I've made yogurt for years, which is essentially the same thing. A crock pot on the warm setting would be fine.

Anyhow, loads of folks are using a version of this, an immersion circulator. You can dial in the temp, drop it into the pot and it will hold the pot at temp for as long as you need. That way you won't tie up your oven for days.

Also, some folks get complete souring overnight, as happens with yogurt.

Prince of Fatness

If you sour a gallon and add it to 4-5 gallons of a standard wort, you will substantially dilute the sour. And so what is the point?

To try something different and see for myself how it works.  Worst case I have a batch of beer that I am not all that happy with.  I have had some of the commercial examples that use this method and the beers aren't bad.  Besides, when there is a debate such as this there is no better way to form an opinion than to try both methods and see for yourself.

Anyhow, loads of folks are using a version of this, an immersion circulator.

$179, LOL.  I'll pass on that.  My whole kitchen brewing set up cost less than half of that.

Like I said I am not diving into sours any time soon.  Just thought that the article was interesting.  When the time comes that I do brew a sour I will do a little research and take it from there.  I am not married to one particular way of doing it at this time.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There was recently a deal where you could get one for $99. Still high but less than $179.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The issue is not about whether there is debate or about whether or not to try it home. The issue is about whether you sour The entire volume or just a small portion. Every commercial and homebrew version that I'm aware of sours the entire  Wort.

Prince of Fatness

The issue is not about whether there is debate or about whether or not to try it home. The issue is about whether you sour The entire volume or just a small portion. Every commercial and homebrew version that I'm aware of sours the entire  Wort.

Ah, misread the article.  Somehow I read that the commercial versions were partials.  My bad.

So yeah, that said DME is out.  But hmm.  This has me thinking.  I have a gallon jug to ferment in.  Could warm in the wort in a crock pot.  Maybe a mini batch just for fun.  Could use Greek Yogurt for the lacto.  Would just need to obtain a pH meter of some sort.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Now you're talking! Can get a cheap pH meter on Amazon.

Prince of Fatness

Crock pot may be too hot.  Need around 100 - 110 degrees from what I am reading.  Need to think of a way to hold that temperature on the cheap.

Maybe pick a warm day, mash in the morning and toss it in the attic for the day.  Finish up in the evening.

Not at it at all.