Drinkers with a Running Problem

Upland Secret Barrel Society (Read 65 times)

Yeah, the Uplands can have a lot of sediment.

These days I am wondering how much the CR WnB tastes good because of the hype.

we had a lot of heavy hitters last night (Abraxas, FFF Baller Stout, Black Tuesday, Half Acre Big Hugs, etc) and everybody thought the CR WnB lived up to the hype. It was the first stout we opened and everything else could not compare. It was cellar temp or maybe a tad warmer so the cinnamon and coffee really popped and were in perfect balance. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That's an impressive lineup. I suspect your head is going to hurt for several days after. Maybe your pancreas as well. Did you all try the regular WnB as well? The deal is, the base year is impressive to begin with, and so this variant to my mind did not add a whole a lot of additional goodness.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, the Uplands can have a lot of sediment.

These days I am wondering how much the CR WnB tastes good because of the hype.

That Peach Lambic had a bunch of slurry in it.  Stuff was floating in the glass.

And I shared the CR WnB that I had.  All raved about it.  I thought that it was real tasty.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Did you all try the regular WnB as well? The deal is, the base year is impressive to begin with, and so this variant to my mind did not add a whole a lot of additional goodness.

I had the base beer within a week or two before having the CR.  I found the introduction of the cinnamon quite noticeable and welcome.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Understand: I loved it. But I love regular as well.

I had the base beer within a week or two before having the CR.  I found the introduction of the cinnamon quite noticeable and welcome.

+1

We did not have the base beer last night but most had it fairly recently. We also had an Epic Big Bad Baptist immediately after the CR and everybody was looking for the cinnamon 

That's an impressive lineup. I suspect your head is going to hurt for several days after. Maybe your pancreas as well. 

you would be correct. getting old sucks

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Here we go again.

Dear SBS Member,

One week from today the reservation process for the next sour release will begin! This release will include Persimmon, Peach, and two Upland and New Belgium collaboration sours, Lightsynth and Darksynth. On Wednesday April 2nd you will receive an email with a link inviting you to select which bottles you would like to reserve- up to six of each style, for a total of 24 bottles. Please make your selections by the end of the day Wednesday, April 9th.

When selecting your pickup location, please keep in mind the first weekend of the pickup period will be during Sour Fest. If you would like to pick up your bottle and attend Sour Fest in one trip, please select Indianapolis as your pickup location.

We will also be offering tours of the sour brewery again during the second weekend of the pickup period. These tours will be Saturday May 24th at 3pm and 4pm

, with a Secret Barrel Society members only tour from 5-7pm, and Sunday May 25th at 3, 4, 5, and 6pm. If you would like to take a tour and pick up your bottle in one trip, please select Bloomington as your pickup location. Tours will be limited to people who have a confirmed reservation. Email sours@uplandbeer.com to reserve a spot. 

Please take care in selecting your pickup location, as it cannot be changed after your reservation has been made.

Bottles may be picked up during the pickup period at the Bloomington Brew Pub 11am-midnight Monday through Thursday11am-1am Friday and Saturday, and noon to midnight Sunday, or at the Indianapolis Tasting Room 4pm-10pm Monday Through Thursdayand noon to midnight Friday and Saturday. Please note the Indianapolis Tasting Room cannot sell carryout on Sunday, in accordance with Indiana state law.

Please email sours@uplandbeer.com with any questions.

Cheers!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Here we go again.

Dear SBS Member,

One week from today the reservation process for the next sour release will begin! This release will include Persimmon, Peach, and two Upland and New Belgium collaboration sours, Lightsynth and Darksynth. On Wednesday April 2nd you will receive an email with a link inviting you to select which bottles you would like to reserve- up to six of each style, for a total of 24 bottles. Please make your selections by the end of the day Wednesday, April 9th.

When selecting your pickup location, please keep in mind the first weekend of the pickup period will be during Sour Fest. If you would like to pick up your bottle and attend Sour Fest in one trip, please select Indianapolis as your pickup location.

We will also be offering tours of the sour brewery again during the second weekend of the pickup period. These tours will be Saturday May 24th at 3pm and 4pm

, with a Secret Barrel Society members only tour from 5-7pm, and Sunday May 25th at 3, 4, 5, and 6pm. If you would like to take a tour and pick up your bottle in one trip, please select Bloomington as your pickup location. Tours will be limited to people who have a confirmed reservation. Email sours@uplandbeer.com to reserve a spot. 

Please take care in selecting your pickup location, as it cannot be changed after your reservation has been made.

Bottles may be picked up during the pickup period at the Bloomington Brew Pub 11am-midnight Monday through Thursday, 11am-1am Friday and Saturday, and noon to midnight Sunday, or at the Indianapolis Tasting Room 4pm-10pm Monday Through Thursdayand noon to midnight Friday and Saturday. Please note the Indianapolis Tasting Room cannot sell carryout on Sunday, in accordance with Indiana state law.

Please email sours@uplandbeer.com with any questions.

Cheers!

WOW good deal with that allocation. I am definitely interested in a Peach and a Persimmon. I need to research the other two. Thanks Richard

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Persimmon Peach  LightSynth  DarkSynth 
                      WhoDat  1  1  1  1
                      EricM  1  1  1  1
                      Trent  1 + ∞   1 + ∞   1 + ∞   1 + ∞ 
                      Finn  1    1  1
                      Spaniel  1  1    
                      C-R  1      
                      Unclaimed  0 2  2  2

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

I am interested in all but the peach.  Now I need to figure out how to pay you back.

Eric, info on the collaborations.  They sound interesting.

http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2013/11/upland-co-brewing-two-new-sour-ales.html

Not at it at all. 

I am interested in all but the peach.  Now I need to figure out how to pay you back.

Eric, info on the collaborations.  They sound interesting.

http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2013/11/upland-co-brewing-two-new-sour-ales.html

thank you Finn.

Damn those both sound great as well. I'd like one of each

I might be having to supplement with some cash this go round since I still owe you for the blueberry as well

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Here's some more info on the LightSynth and Darksynth from Upland.

The practice of blending beers is nearly as old as brewing itself, although its purpose has changed over time. Centuries ago, breweries delivered beer to pubs, where it was blended with older batches to create a consistent “house” product. However, blending is now much more often experimental. As Upland is now in our sixth year of brewing sour ales, experimenting was exactly what we had in mind when we approached New Belgium about creating a unique blend of sour ales. A mutual admiration for old world sour ale brewing and the nature of the beer itself prompted the idea of collaboration.

Two different blends were made, a light and a dark, simply because it sounded more fun. Both breweries have both light and dark sours in their respective portfolios, and the idea of using all of these beers for this project was too exciting to pass up!

We chose the suffix “Synth” because that’s exactly what these beers are: synthesis.  Combining different entities to make something new and unique. Lightsynth and Darksynth combine respect for a traditional brewing style with passion for innovation. Lightsynth is a blend of 50% New Belgium Felix, 40% Upland Sour Reserve, and 10% Upland Cherry Lambic. Lightsynth is pleasantly sour, with notes of fresh cherries and fruity esters, and a dry mouthfeel. Darksynth is a blend of 50% New Belgium Oscar, 40% Upland Dantalion, and 10% Upland Raspberry Lambic. Darksynth has a moderate body with clean sour notes, hints of raspberries and chocolate, with a gentle aroma of herbs and spices. New Belgium will be bringing a blend of Light Synth with 10% Boon Kriek, and Dark Synth to FoBAB this weekend, and Upland will release 750 ml bottled versions in late 2013.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

As usual, I want as much as I can get