Green Bay Marathon

Tomorrow is a big day (Read 221 times)

Now that we're only about 7 weeks away from the big event, I am getting into the longest of my long runs. I'm planning/hoping to do 17-18 miles tomorrow and that will be my first big test to see how close to ready I actually am. I've been doing longer and shorter runs on Saturdays and I've topped out at about 16 1/4 miles for my longest distance so far. I'm thinking about running the Lakefront Marathon and I guess this will help me decide if I should sign up for the race on Sunday or take my name off of the RA user group.
    Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
    JoeShort

Let us know how it went. I'm heading out the door for my first 18 miler so that will also tell me how I'm doing. Looking like rain so hopefully I can stay dry for at least part of it!
        I ran a little later in the day than I originally wanted to - I was foolishly waiting for it to get above 40 degrees. I headed out at about 12:30 PM and very deliberately tried to keep my pace at a nice slow level. I have a bad habit of doing my long runs a bit too quickly, so I wanted to keep myself at about 9:00 minute miles. Over the last few months I've been bumping up my miles, but have been running on treadmills and indoor tracks way too much, so I wasn't sure how doing this distance outside would go. I kept my pace at about 8:45 and ran the 17.5 in about 2 1/2 hours. I really wasn't feeling too bad afterward; a little sore but no real issues. Overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome and the next step up for me is 19 miles on April 12th and topping off at 21 on the 26th. How did your run go Joe?
        Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
        JoeShort

Sounds like you're on track for the big race! I lucked out and they took the rain out of the forecast for the daytime hours so the run was much more enjoyable. I was going to do an 18 mile out and back along Saylorville Lake from my house, but was feeling pretty good at the 9 mile turnaround so decided to go all the way around the lake which is 20 miles. Still felt good at the end, and legs aren't really sore today so I think I'm on track as well! Managed to ramp up the miles pretty quickly, flirting with some shin splints but so far it's going well. This week is a "stepback" week in the Higdon plan so the mileage will be reduced to allow recovery. Then I'll have time for two more 20 milers before the big race, may push one or both of those to 22 miles if I'm still feeling good. Keep up the good training, the race will be here before we know it!