Green Bay Marathon

Race Goals and Pace Teams (Read 185 times)

JoeShort

Just wondering what everyone's goal time is for the race, and whether you plan to run with a pace team? I'm shooting for a 3:20 since that's my Boston Qualifier time. I've run a 3:18 once (in Des Moines) which I couldn't have done without the pace leader, but need to re-qualify since I didn't run Boston. Just jumped into week 9 of a Hal Higdon 18 week program so it's too early to see where I'm at, just a bit sore from ramping up the miles quickly.
      Strangely enough I really haven't even considered a goal yet. I've only run one marathon previously and I was way undertrained due to an IT band injury about 6 weeks before the race. I ended up running 4:13, so I guess under 4 hours would be my "official goal". This time I'm doing pretty well as far as getting my miles in and I can generally keep up an 8:15 pace even through longer runs, so that's encouraging. I pretty sure that I can run under 4 hours and I'm going to just keep myself at about an 8:30 pace for the beginning of the race, then I'm going to run at a comfortable pace and hope for the best.
      Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
      arotrame

I'm only doing the half because god knows 13 miles seems to be a long way..... My husband and I did the half last year on a whim....we were in the Fox Valley visiting his parents and we decided to run/walk it at our leisure. We're slow to begin with regardless of whether we're running 2 miles or 5 miles so 13 was going to be a stretch for us. We finish in 2 hour and 57 minutes. I'm pretty sure there were some speed walker types who even beat us. This year, I'm actually working towards run/walking the half. Like I'm following a training plan...although I tend to slack on the cross training days. I'd be super happy if I could run something in the 2:30's. The weather was great last year...cool...almost cold and I think that allowed us to pick the pace more than we had expected. So 2:30's in my goal and anything quicker than last year will make me happy!