Toronto and Beyond

Question about corners, toronto half marathon and marathon. (Read 74 times)

I have run this race twice and both times have noticed something odd. When running through the Rosedale Valley road, which has sweeping left and right turns, most runners stay right all the time. There is no blue line painted to show the measured course, though I suspect elite runners run the tangents they are so far ahead of me I will never know unless I see them on tv! In particular I notice on left turns noone crosses the centreline of the road, even though there are no cones or other markings to prevent us from cutting distance. I have often read the course is intended to be run on the shortest line, traffic allowing of course, I am not going to elbow for position, but I want to run the best time I can. Will people follow me if I cut the corner or will I be looked on as a cheat? (This question may apply to other races.) Simon

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I'd say go for it.... not cheating if you ask me...... I'm usually running in some sort of a pack so it seems that i would be cutting someone off. I also think that at my pace running the tangents wouldn't account for more than 10 or 20 seconds over the half marathon distance...... but every second counts when going for a PR.