Toronto and Beyond

Toronto Goodlife Marathon (Read 256 times)

Go Pre!

Wow, Tuf_Aint_Enough, I just noticed your last long run. If you can recover from that, in time for this race. I have no doubt I'll be recovered from my jog as well. Damn, we'll be calling this race "The Davids Duel" 5:06 pace for a 21 mile long run? Did I say Holy crap? Big grin
    Ya, the kid's got game. I won't be surprised to see him at the finish, changed, showered, fed and drunk before I even get there! I'm not kidding.
      Jason i am planning to break 1:50, maybe 1:48 if things go well. You have been training much more consistently so should be running a similar pace, I would guess! Perhaps we will meet at the start; I will wear a white TO Marathon cap and blue shirt. One more thought about the hill, don't pull too much out of the energy bank powering up; 15kms is a long time to be paying interest on the loan! Simon.
      Thanks for the advice on hogs hollow.... need to take it easy up there.... I plan to head out and run it next weekend so I know what to expect. I'll be in black shorts... orange shirt... white visor.... orange and grey NB shoes.... garmin 305. A similar get up as in the picture on the home page for this group. I'd love to be sub 1:50 but I've been having issues fading over the last 4 miles of my races..... hopefully the downhill will help over the middle miles. hopefully the group can meet before the race.... might be tough to hook up with the guys running the full because of the split start times.... Jason
        Yes, but the race really starts around 21-22 miles. Until that point its just semantics. The key for me will be holding back enough to finish well, but not so much as to jeopardize a good overall finish time. That said, a bit less than 3 weeks out, I feel good and ready to go.

Go Pre!

Yes, but the race really starts around 21-22 miles. Until that point its just semantics. The key for me will be holding back enough to finish well, but not so much as to jeopardize a good overall finish time. That said, a bit less than 3 weeks out, I feel good and ready to go.
          You got it right there. It's still too early for me to say how good to go I am. Quads are still sore. Ran last night. That was interesting to say the least. Weird how Sunday I felt great the last 10K (compared to previous 4 marathons) yet this is the worst my quads have felt.
            Yes, but the race really starts around 21-22 miles. Until that point its just semantics.
            Get that Jason, "The Half" Meh just semantics Blush Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Get that Jason, "The Half" Meh just semantics Blush Big grin
              So the half isn't even a race.... barely a warm up..... apparently Jerk_aint_enough. Evil grin
                Is that what I said? Really? I don't think so arse-hole-io... A HM is an HM and an M is an M. And, in an M, the race starts at 20-22 mi. Tomorrow's lesson: How to tie your shoes: for beginners.
                  Velcro for me please.... I'll get laces when I run a full race. Black eye
                    Tomorrow's lesson: How to tie your shoes: for beginners.
                    Thanks man, I need help in every aspect Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A week today the race expo opens. How is everyone feeling? Rest day for me, otherwise everything is good. Last long run tomorrow. I'll put in about 1.5 hours. Then, I need to start taking this taper thing a bit more seriously.

Go Pre!

A week today the race expo opens. How is everyone feeling? Rest day for me, otherwise everything is good. Last long run tomorrow. I'll put in about 1.5 hours. Then, I need to start taking this taper thing a bit more seriously.
                        Last hard workout this morning for me, a bit of race pace with 5 hilss thrown in for good measure. Will run long tomorrow if time warrants, otherwise Sunday will be last long day - about 20k or so. MTA: What is this taper thing you talk about - does it help your knee if taper up? Wink
                          I think I'm going to do something like 8, 12, 16, 12 km over the weekend and next to nothing tues, wed, thurs, fri, Maybe 5 on Sat. I'm going into this one fully rested. Just glad the stiffness finally wore off from last Sundays tip toe fiasco Embarrassed. Who knows maybe it's a new type of hill workout Big grin

Taper, pssshhh. My last big decision is shoes. Do I switch up for the marathon like I was planning, or, stick with my most recent pair? Seriously, I woke up at 3 am with this very question in my head. They have a bit over 600 mi. on them, but I feel like pulling them now would be a bit like when the Bills benched Flutie in the playoffs (after he got them into the playoffs following an 0-3 start) in favour of Rob Johnson... well, we all know how that turned out. I am pretty loyal and stuff. Even to shoes. And that, my friends, is likely my answer. Now, time to eat some turkey. Pre-race meet up? Dave, are we starting out together?

Go Pre!

Taper, pssshhh. My last big decision is shoes. Do I switch up for the marathon like I was planning, or, stick with my most recent pair? Seriously, I woke up at 3 am with this very question in my head. They have a bit over 600 mi. on them, but I feel like pulling them now would be a bit like when the Bills benched Flutie in the playoffs (after he got them into the playoffs following an 0-3 start) in favour of Rob Johnson... well, we all know how that turned out. I am pretty loyal and stuff. Even to shoes. And that, my friends, is likely my answer. Now, time to eat some turkey. Pre-race meet up? Dave, are we starting out together?
                              I will have all the time in the world for pre-race meet up this time. I am dropping the mrs off for the half and seeing off a bunch of runners from my HM clinic. So let's say, anytime after 9 ... I will be lingering around the Tim Horton's near the start. Who the $#@ know what I will be wearing at this point. I am sure we will find each other. I would love to start out together and run together as long as possible. You never know what race day will dish out. Looking forward to it. I didn't think that I would feel as ready today as I do but here we are. What are all y'all's plan for after? (yes, I said all y'all's) MTA: On a sad note guys, Anita's mother passed away last weekend. It was after a year long battle to recover from a stroke (3 stroke in short span actually) She was a great great woman and definitely deserves my devotion this coming weekend so I dedicate this race entirely to her, as I did last fall's Columbus marathon, which was shortly after her first stroke.
                                Wow. So sorry to hear about your family's loss, Dave. Please pass on best wishes to Anita. Is she still running on Sun? Bound to be an emotional day for all if this is the case. I'll be at the race start for the HM also. Catching a ride in with others from my group. Rumour has it our coaches have the inside track on a warm, indoor location (near washrooms). I will post the details here when I know more. Again, terribly sorry to hear about your MIL. It just plain sucks.